Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 05:50 AM

307 posts, read 692,386 times

Advertisements

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Tuesday the worst recession since the 1930s is probably over, although he cautioned that pain — especially for the nearly 15 million unemployed Americans — will persist.

Are these people really that out-of-touch with real America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 AM

180 posts, read 352,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post

Yes

Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Bernanke's quote-

Quote:
"That's one reason why, even though from a technical perspective, the recession is very likely over at this point, it's still going to feel like a very weak economy for some time," Bernanke said. "As many people will still find their job security and employment status is not what they wish it was."
Recession is commonly measured by the function of GDP, in which a contraction over x number of quarters = recession. The trend appears to have bottomed and will likely rebound.

So he is tecnically correct if the rebound is true.

However I do agree with him that regardless of what GDP does- it will be a slow and painful 'recovery', and many sectors in the economy will be in their own recession for quite some time.

I don't think anyone is painting this with rose colored glasses. His "quote" should be read in it's entirety, and I do tend to agree.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 AM

300 posts, read 819,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convex20899 View Post
Yes.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:58 AM

307 posts, read 692,386 times
I disagree with Bernanke. We have yet to see the commercial real estate collapse. Which is happening now. I see it in gaithersburg MD a lot of office spaces are emptying with no new renters. Just wait credit cards are next. It is far from over. Just my opinion.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 16,112 times
Of course it's over! Obama is now in office! People who want to paint this as a Bush only problem are trying to make Obama look in the clear. When in reality it wasn't a Bush, nor is it an Obama problem. Hell this all started back when Clinton was in office. Not that it was his fault either.

This is what happened, and it happened before any major industry hits our economy. Back in the 90s when the tech stock (overinflated) and making the 90s economy great because we had a new market. Which had more to do with the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs of the world than anything Clinton did, it also caused a problem with overinflated stocks. When these tech stocks burst in at the end of Clinton's presidency (Again, not his fault) so did the economy. We haven't recovered since. People will Blame Clinton, Bush, Obama, anyhow. Ask anyone that knows anything about the stock market and how things work.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 16,112 times
"Alan Greenspan, head of the Federal Reserve, recognized the situation very early. In 1995, Greenspan tried to warn the financial community by coining the phrase "irrational exuberance" to describe the new stock market bubble that was growing dangerously. No wonder he recognized the danger: Greenspan was born in 1926, and well remembered the last time it happened!"

Great article. He knows what he speaks of.

[url]http://www.generationaldynamics.com/cgi-bin/D.PL?d=ww2010.book.depression[/url]

Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,670 times
Seriously... is anyone still listening to these douchenozzle economists any longer? So long as inflation continues to outpace wages, so long as underemployment and unemployment persists, and so long as people blindly follow consumerism, we will be in a recession/depression.

I, however, am finding financial success in this recession... this paycheck, I saved over 200 bucks, and I'll probably have even more left over at the end of this week!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
They're focusing too much on localized reports. For example, in Austin TX the economy IS picking back up on a measurable level because they were more diverse than some areas, but here in Atlanta it's not because our economy was far too dependent on construction/housing, so it's going to be a while before we dig out. My family in Charleston (WV) says while things were bad there, it was never "OMG bad", because Charleston was never in a "boom town" mode to begin with - the old "the less you have, the less you have to lose", thing I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies