Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 08:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Hitler HATED Christianity. He hated it for its empathy and egalitarianism. His own SS were waging a religious war by desecrating churches because Hitler wanted to replace Christianity with the old Germanic pagan religion.
There were certainly well known Nazis that supported adopting Germanic Paganism, but it is doubtful Hitler was among them. He himself favored positive Christianity. See post #14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Wars casued by GOVERNMENT:

WWII- 40-72 million DEAD
An Shi Rebellion 33-36 million DEAD
Manchu Conquest 25 million DEAD
Taiping Rebellion 20-30 million DEAD
WWI 15-25 million DEAD
Russian Civil War 5-9 million DEAD
Vietnam War 2.5-5 million DEAD

Famine caused by GOVERNMENT:
Great Leap Forwwrd by Chairman Mao of China 20-43 million DEAD
Terror Famine of Ukraine led by Joseph Stalin 6-10 million DEAD

Government kills people at a much higher rate than anyone or any religion.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
All religions can be twisted to meet violent agendas. I don't know of one thing other than maybe money that will incite the masses as much as religion. Despite the atheists/agnostics out there, religion is as much intertwined with human beings as food and water. The poster who said that people kill people is true. Religion is just a tool that can be used for good and bad purposes since it is human beings who are interpreting the religions. BTW, while i am not a member of any organized religion any more, I still believe it has its place.

That being said, every major and minor religion has contributed to some bloodshed at some point in history.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:29 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Wars casued by GOVERNMENT:

WWII- 40-72 million DEAD
An Shi Rebellion 33-36 million DEAD
Manchu Conquest 25 million DEAD
Taiping Rebellion 20-30 million DEAD
WWI 15-25 million DEAD
Russian Civil War 5-9 million DEAD
Vietnam War 2.5-5 million DEAD

Famine caused by GOVERNMENT:
Great Leap Forwwrd by Chairman Mao of China 20-43 million DEAD
Terror Famine of Ukraine led by Joseph Stalin 6-10 million DEAD

Government kills people at a much higher rate than anyone or any religion.
I agree with all of those except for the Taiping Rebellion...that was nutty Christianity at its worst.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's easily Christianity. Whether you are talking about the Crusades or the Nazis during WWII, more people have killed in the name of Christianity than any other faith. I'm not judging Christianity but just pointing out a fact. Christianity has also contributed the most charity to the world as well. Without Christian principles, the Western World would not be the success it is today. It goes both ways
I'm sorry, but how can you possibly equate the Nazi party with Christianity? Hitler claimed to be Catholic but obviously wasn't remotely religious, much less a follower of Christ. The swastika itself was derived from far Eastern ideologies.
I think this attribution of Christianity to Nazism is just a poorly contrived politically correct attempt to make it seem that Muslims aren't the only ones around killing people. Well, you can still find large-scale Christian murders in the Inquisition and Crusades but you also have to consider that many historians consider the crusades as being a response to Muslim aggression towards Europe as much as it was an attempt to free the Holy Land or rape and pillage.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So herein lies the confusion....no one is saying that most religions, including Christianity, don't officially preach love and tolerance. The problem is that most people who practice these religions do not follow the teachings, and instead feel compelled to convert others or make them pay the consequences, which have many times been violent.

Some religions officially have also killed people, and the Spanish Inquisition is a good example of officially sanctioned torture and violence in the name of the Catholic Church, and many Imams have officially sanctioned killing or death in the name of Allah. For the most part though, it's been individuals, groups, and countries killing in the name of their religion.

How would anyone ever be able to quantify this? Religions can't kill people; religion is not a tangible thing, people kill people and you appear to recognize this yourself in your last statement, which oddly contradicts the first one in the same paragraph.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:37 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Christianity and Islam both preach that their beliefs are the one and only true beliefs. And they preach that non-believers must be converted. And those who do not accept their religions will suffer eternal torment. And they both encourage aggressive expansionism of their religions.

Love and tolerance? Not at all. Only on a very superficial level.
Book, chapter and verse please? And for the record, Christianity does not advocate nor condone unconditional tolerance; to tolerate everything means to stand for nothing.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree with all of those except for the Taiping Rebellion...that was nutty Christianity at its worst.

Was it? My bad. I just copied this from Wikipedia. I am familar with the rest of them but I don't remember this one from the history books.

My main point is that religion can't kill without government. As religions don't have armies and cant invade countries. Governments may use religion as an excuse to do that but it is still government that starts and does the kiling.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I'm sorry, but how can you possibly equate the Nazi party with Christianity? Hitler claimed to be Catholic but obviously wasn't remotely religious, much less a follower of Christ. The swastika itself was derived from far Eastern ideologies.
I think this attribution of Christianity to Nazism is just a poorly contrived politically correct attempt to make it seem that Muslims aren't the only ones around killing people. Well, you can still find large-scale Christian murders in the Inquisition and Crusades but you also have to consider that many historians consider the crusades as being a response to Muslim aggression towards Europe as much as it was an attempt to free the Holy Land or rape and pillage.
Actually, the muslims in power in the holy land were very tolerant. Prior to 1095, when Pope Urban the 6th called for the first Crusade, Christians and Jews were able to live side by side with muslims with no hassle. Funny thing is, that the Crusaders killed the entire Christian population of Jerusalem when they got there.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:41 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
There were certainly well known Nazis that supported adopting Germanic Paganism, but it is doubtful Hitler was among them. He himself favored positive Christianity. See post #14
Dude///.....and you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies