Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
<snip>And for the record, they are recovering addicts -
I'd say more like dry drunk, neither one of them act sober.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, right! Obviously you have no clue! "College-level political science classes"! French for "liberal think". Conservatism isn't acceptable in those classes. Neither is capitalism. (Oh, by the way, you have a spelling error in your post).

Wash your mind of that garbage and do some independent study. Learn what our founders believed. They were learned men. But they didn't have college degrees. Few people went to Universities then. There weren't any.

Abraham Lincoln was self taught.

You keep losing credibility with every post!
You are certainly no putting Beck in the league of the Founding Fathers, are you? I can just see beck having an intelligent debate with John Adams.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Huh? I never read Huffington or the NY Times. I read the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, The AP, Yahoo News and Google News.
There's part of your problem: The AP. All of the so-called "mainstream" media get their "news" from the AP. That is why they all sound alike.

Quote:
Um, my political opinion is far more valid than Beck's.
ROLFLMAO! Yeah, right!

Sorry. I trust Glenn Beck more than anything you have to say. Why? He does his research. You don't.

Quote:
I was educated at one of the finest prep schools, majored in Political Economics (with a focus in Law Economics and Policy) and minored in History at a top-ranked university, I have been to 46 states and 35+ countries, my father was a policy director under a Republican regime in the last 35 years and I've never been to rehab or had to be born again...so yeah, I'm far more qualified.
Forget your father. It is you we are discussing. And so far, you have not impressed me with anything.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:06 PM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Rush Limbaugh is a gifted intellectual! What kind of asinine comment is that?

I would also say that Glenn Beck is a gifted intellectual. I will add that Glenn Beck reads constantly. I think he goes through several books every week, besides the fact that he writes books (best sellers).

Both of these men are highly skilled at what they do. Because you don't like what they have to say does not make them less than what they are. But your comments about them (simply based on your dislike for them and their ideas) certainly makes you look like a fool, and takes much away from your credibility.
Glen Beck HIMSELF has admitted that he checks no facts, that his is NOT a journalist and he is a clown. Why someone would choose to look to this person for commentary or the facts is just plain odd.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I'd say more like dry drunk, neither one of them act sober.
I made the same assessment about Beck on another thread and was told that
I know nothing about alcoholism. Go figure...

Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
No, I honestly cannot take an opinion on politics seriously if the person providing that opinion doesn't have a serious background in political science or law.

As a political science major in college, one would have spent at least 250 hours in class studying and hundreds more reading and researching. Beck was doing drugs and drinking and learning about Jesus. Who would you think would have the more valid and intellectually sound political opinion? The drug addicted born-again, or the person who was a responsible young adult who spent dozens of hours in the library and having late-night political discussions?

When it comes to matters of intellectualism, a college degree or some other actual measure of intellect (not just luck/success) is necessary for that person's point to have any merit. Beck's points do not have merit because he's just someone who spews opinions without any kind of knowledge.
Unless I somehow managed to earn a Bachelor's and a Masters Degree in ~two-thirds the normal amount of time, I think you're off a bit on the 250 credit hours thing. My Bachelors was 120 hours and my Masters was an additional 30 hours (a whopping 100 hours short of your number). If I finish my Ph.d, i'd have close to the 250 you mention.

I took a few political science classes, but they actually had more to do with my understanding of government process than political beliefs. I formulate those on my own.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by sickofnyc
You are certainly no putting Beck in the league of the Founding Fathers, are you? I can just see beck having an intelligent debate with John Adams.
I'd sooo pay to see that!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
He was at HARVARD when he invented DOS
You think Gates "invented" DOS?

For someone who likes to play "educated" on the Internet, you sure do say a lot of things that indicate otherwise...

Old 09-28-2009, 08:11 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would rather listen to a well educated, smart professor about his/her beliefs than a clever idiot who espouses his beliefs and largely for self-promotion.
Very good point! The self-promotion part seems to be Beck's greatest talent - in a relatively short time he has ballooned himself into one of America's best known personalities.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM

480 posts, read 878,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Kevincrawford,

That is complete and utter bs and is probably something some non-college educated dumb@ss talking head on the right said that got buzz word noteworthy.
So true. It seems many on the far right equate learning to think for yourself with liberal indoctrination.

The one time in college that I can recall thinking a professor had an agenda was when there was a shake-up in the history department and the fill-in professor decided that a World History course should instead be a History of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies