Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Representative Grayson Crowdsources his Fraud Research Project

Going after ACORN may be like shooting fish in a barrel lately -- but jumpy lawmakers used a bazooka to do it last week and may have blown up some of their longtime allies in the process.

The congressional legislation intended to defund ACORN, passed with broad bipartisan support, is written so broadly that it applies to "any organization" that has been charged with breaking federal or state election laws, lobbying disclosure laws, campaign finance laws or filing fraudulent paperwork with any federal or state agency. It also applies to any of the employees, contractors or other folks affiliated with a group charged with any of those things.

In other words, the bill could plausibly defund the entire military-industrial complex. Whoops.

Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) picked up on the legislative overreach and asked the Project on Government Oversight (POGO) to sift through its database to find which contractors might be caught in the ACORN net.

Turns out that many major defense contractors--some whoppers--were indeed caught. And therein lies a nasty little congressional double-standard. Where are the bills castigating these companies? Where's the outrage? Why hammer little ACORN and not Haliburton?

http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/8391

Help Rep. Grayson Find Fraud
Help Rep. Grayson Find Fraud

I'm beginning to love this guy and I've already called his office to thank him for this and for telling the Republicans where to go.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 10-02-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I support rooting out fraud. Finally, a politician with a set of balls. But if the intent is a political witch-hunt, I hope someone drop kicks him right in that set of balls.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
I'd heard about this a couple of weeks ago, but hadn't connected it with the Grayson who spanked the GOP this week. Thanks for posting it.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I support rooting out fraud. Finally, a politician with a set of balls. But if the intent is a political witch-hunt, I hope someone drop kicks him right in that set of balls.
The witch hunt is the one against ACORN. He's just using the witch-hunters' tools against them.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The witch hunt is the one against ACORN. He's just using the witch-hunters' tools against them.
Grayson is a mult-millionaire businessman Harvard grad who went back into law but gave it up to get into politics. This guy shoots from the hip as he is beholden to no one, lobbyist or otherwise. He is showing himself to be a new rising star of the Democratic Party, This is the kind of representatives and leadership we need.

http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/8391

Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM

The point is that the House reacted to the insane wingnuts - and led by the GOP but joined by a bunch of cowardly Democrats - passed a really stupid law. And it turns out that there are a whole lot of government contractors who have participated in much worse violations of election law than has ACORN.

The lesson is this: don't jump when wingnuts say jump. They are generally wrong about everything and you end up looking stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies