Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that whatever problems the state is having will send many back to the states they came from. Or somewhere else. I don't care and long as they leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
California is not going anywhere. We have a diversification of industries, not just many but large industries. In addition to having top universities like Berkeley, Stanford, CalTech, UCLA..., we have the Silicon Valley, biotech/pharma industry, financial center in SF, the entertainment center in LA, best wineries in the nation, agriculture big enough to support our own state, and tourist attractions like Santa Barbara and San Diego.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Seeing how we have a larger educated class, growing demographics in general, as well as huge global influence...it won't fail in the least bit. We may be down, but not out.

We have the best state college systems in the nation. 29.1% of CA residents hold a 4 year degree or higher vs. the national average of 27%. The UC system is jokingly refered to as the nation's R&D center. The UC system consistently ranks as having the highest number of patent applications out of any university in the nation. The CSU system is the largest public university system in the nation. We do have a relatively educated population here in CA.

The two fastest growing groups in California, Asians and Hispanics, also share the distinction of having the fastest growing purchasing power. Thus, these two groups are getting more affluent as well. As we progress into the future, we see that a larger portion of the UC's undergrad population are recent arrivals. 40% of undergrads in 2008 had at least 1 parent that was born abroad. This does not include 11% of undergrads that were not themselves born in the United States. Thus, 51% of undergrads are either 1st or 2nd generation.

As Boompa mentioned, we are the world's 7th largest economy. For good reason as well.

What can save California are programs aid in education and healthcare. We need to have affordable healthcare in order to not burden small businesses. We are seen as having a business climate that is inhospitable to business, an affordable public option will aid in maintaining businesses in CA. Maintaining our educated class is also essential. We need to focus on inner city schools. Contrary to popular belief, California is home to some of the nation's best public schools. However, we are also home to some of the nation's worst. It is this gap that pulls down our rankings. More studies need to be conducted to see whether charter schools are a viable option. However, this may decrease the burden placed on the state and enable more options to parents...which may help increase test scores.

California is down, but again...not out.
I think you are almost right. No, of course CA won't fail, the state has too much to offer, but there needs to be a hell of a lot of changes for it to continue to prosper or make a recovery soon. It is a welfare state everyone knows, high taxes, high crime (not the highest) too many illegals, and really over crowded in some locations just to mention a few problems.

I agree with you on education. There are some great public schools and certainly many outstanding universities.

The biggest difference between MI and Ca, Mi depended on one major industry, but then again, how could anyone know that would fail?

Along with contolling the cost of living and the $$ shortage in order to make a comeback in the near future there will have to controls on companies deciding to relocate. That would be a real disaster: even though it is the entertainment capital of the world, this is changing as well as other companies leaving or downsizing.
Nita

Old 10-05-2009, 06:42 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you are almost right. No, of course CA won't fail, the state has too much to offer, but there needs to be a hell of a lot of changes for it to continue to prosper or make a recovery soon. It is a welfare state everyone knows, high taxes, high crime (not the highest) too many illegals, and really over crowded in some locations just to mention a few problems.

I agree with you on education. There are some great public schools and certainly many outstanding universities.

The biggest difference between MI and Ca, Mi depended on one major industry, but then again, how could anyone know that would fail?

Along with contolling the cost of living and the $$ shortage in order to make a comeback in the near future there will have to controls on companies deciding to relocate. That would be a real disaster: even though it is the entertainment capital of the world, this is changing as well as other companies leaving or downsizing.
Nita
The poverty rate in CA is the highest since the great depression. Our school systems are failing and our taxes are the highest it's ever been. The open door policy has to stop. Counting their children we have an estimated 6 million people that aren't even supposed to be here. They are supposed to be burdening the Countries S of the border but instead the US is coddling them.

All those takers and no givers will topple a social service system every time. We cannot tax our way out of this mess.

Look at SD, they are on the hook for a pension payment over 200 million!! About two of those and we will be forced to file BK.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
With loons like Brown, Boxer and Pelosi running the show what did you ever expect.

The coast is full of left wings loons, and left wingers have never been able to run anything correctly.

Add in the left wingers idea of handing amnesty to illegals and California is going to get worse long before it gets better.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just read the article on the Ca thread. I see CA in for many years of problems, but I think eventually they will come out of it. Will they ever be the state they were 5,10 or 20 years ago? No, but there is so many positive things about the entire west coast, Ca will always draw people to their state.

Nita
I totally agree, but I think part of it is at some point, regardless of the political persuasion of who is President then (since it could be beyond 2012 or 2016), they will declare it "too big to fail" like the banks and do something. What, and whether it will be a good thing, I don't know......

Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 AM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I totally agree, but I think part of it is at some point, regardless of the political persuasion of who is President then (since it could be beyond 2012 or 2016), they will declare it "too big to fail" like the banks and do something. What, and whether it will be a good thing, I don't know......
If the feds do step in it would be a perfect time to realign govt pay and pensions plus the perfect time to shore up social services so we know that only Americans are benefitting. They should do something about the rediculous walk and drop anchor rule called the 14th. Talk about instant lotto winnings.

Last, increase the penalty of overstays to include jail times and hard labor.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Would the bay area liberals have the steel to vote out Pelosi? I don't think so.
This tiny pocket of liberal loons have decided the fate of CA for years. This is exactly what you get with Marxist policy. Enjoy and carry on.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The poverty rate in CA is the highest since the great depression. Our school systems are failing and our taxes are the highest it's ever been. The open door policy has to stop. Counting their children we have an estimated 6 million people that aren't even supposed to be here. They are supposed to be burdening the Countries S of the border but instead the US is coddling them.

All those takers and no givers will topple a social service system every time. We cannot tax our way out of this mess.

Look at SD, they are on the hook for a pension payment over 200 million!! About two of those and we will be forced to file BK.
oh, you know for the most part I do agree with you on everything, this included. I still do not think the state is finished. I think they have lost much of what made them great and I don't think they will ever totally recover or not in my lifetime, but I don't think they are finished either.

Nita

Old 10-05-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
and the scary thing is, you could be right..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies