Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LOCKLAND - A Lockland resident has filed a lawsuit against the village, claiming a display of the Ten Commandments outside town hall is unconstitutional.

Christopher Knecht wants the sign removed and a court order to prevent any future displays of "religious fables and myths."

Suit: Remove Ten Commandments | Community Press & Recorder | CommunityPress.com
There are many places where it is appropriate to display the Ten Commandments. Government property is not one of them. The sign should be removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
There are many places where it is appropriate to display the Ten Commandments. Government property is not one of them. The sign should be removed.
Quite a task you've set here.

Doing so might do a lot to solve the nation's unemployment crisis, because a lot of work needs be done to fully expunge the offending expressions...

http://www.themeekgroup.com/ProofOfGodInGovernment/ (broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
From what I read most of the founders were Deists, hardly believers in what functions as modern day 'Christian' belief.
The vast majority of those at the Constitutional Convention were professed Christians, and some whose names we do not remember would indeed have been quasi-fundies bent on creating a Nation of Jesus. Fortunately, these were shouted and voted down by those whose names we DO remember, many of whom were indeed deists. They understood, as today's religious whackjobs do not, that religion must be and remain an exclusively individual matter if it is to be a friend rather than a foe to society at large.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
I have a question

WHAT IF:

it was ten commandments,,but no mention of god???

WHAT IF:

it said:
1. thou shall not kill
2. thou shall not steal
3. thou shall not lie
4. thou shall not rape
5. honor/ respect your elders
6. at least one day a week should be for rest
7. take care of the children
8. dont do drugs
9. thou shall not curse
10. thou shall be free

what then, owuld people have a problem because there are COMMANDments, or is it just because some people want to belive that there is no god or afterlife.............btw if there is no afterlife, what will keep people from breaking the law? because our jails are a heck of a lot nicer than our homeless shelters

Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have a question

WHAT IF:

WHAT IF:

it said:
1. thou shall not kill
2. thou shall not steal
3. thou shall not lie
4. thou shall not rape
8. dont do drugs
9. thou shall not curse
10. thou shall be free

what then, owuld people have a problem because there are COMMANDments, or is it just because some people want to belive that there is no god or afterlife.............btw if there is no afterlife, what will keep people from breaking the law? because our jails are a heck of a lot nicer than our homeless shelters
I would have no problem with that. Actually you'd have to post the applicable section of the judicial code after each commandment as most of these laws are already on the books.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The last words of the Pledge are the words "With Liberty and Justice For All."

The first Commandment states, "I Am The Lord Thy God, Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me."

So right off the bat the ten commandments is exclusionary. How can there be liberty and justice for all if carved in stone is the command to worship the Christian God or else?
I hear you on the exclusionary part. But, just for the record, I feel it's necessary to point out that the Ten Commandments predate Christianity by a few centuries. They were not inscribed in stone as the demands of a Christian God.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have a question

WHAT IF:

WHAT IF:

it said:
1. thou shall not kill
2. thou shall not steal
3. thou shall not lie
4. thou shall not rape
8. dont do drugs
9. thou shall not curse
10. thou shall be free

So now the state is going to arrest me for lying?

If not then what is the purpose of a Non God 10 commandments?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
obo

916 posts, read 985,826 times
All the liberal posts here just stink of ignorance and shallow mindedness. I see that if THEY don't like something, they want it removed, BUT if they APPROVE of something, they want it preserved for ever. How is this tolerance that you all praise yourselves on?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Or cursing? None of your or the state's business.
Many elders do not deserve my respect.
Good to see you got the pharmaceutical companies in there, though. Or do you approve of "legal" drugs like alcohol, oxycotin, etc.
Take care of your own children if you choose to breed.

All unenforceable; talk about nanny government.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Without religion, the world would have evolved into a savage place of murder, stealing and raping. Religion is what brought about humanity and laws that say things like "THOU SHALL NOT KILL".
My good man, religion is a social luxury. It implies a priveleged class to be supported by the labors of others that can only be managed within a society that has together figured out how to earn an economic surplus from their collective endeavors. A society that does not first learn to keep from murder, rape, and theft will never reach such a point of cooperative success. Religions mirror the societies that they find themslves in as a part of doing business. The job of religion is to reinforce the secular culture and provide it with a supernatural blessing as if that were some independent testimony to its worthiness. If this were not the case, Christianity would not have morphed from being an anti-wealth religion of street people and the lower classes into one that embraces the most fantastic wealth and wanton consumerism as signs of God's affection and approval. Rich men enter Heaven today as if camels were able to run piggyback through the Eye of the Needle. How times have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Also, you should argue your stance with Nietzsche, since his outlook is that America was indeed founded on the philosophies of Judeo-Christianity.
His outlook was that the principles of America were essentially a waste of time, but then again, he was quite out of circulation by 1890 and hardly had any chance to see us in our full flower. The fact remains that this country was not founded on any principles from any religion at all, and that it was deliberately structured to be as areligious and unentangled in matters of religion as possible.

Last edited by saganista; 10-07-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies