Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Tons of them until people understand that they have been manipulated, twisted for political gain. We need them until the politically driven scientists, organizations and administrations are shunned so badly that they think twice before pushing bias over evidence. Let the stupid be known, let the idiots be pointed out and ridiculed with extreme prejudice that they showed those who simply asked questions concerning their claims.
Sorry I disagree.......global warming is real and a threat; though some people seem to have never actually read the science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Sorry I disagree.......global warming is real and a threat; though some people seem to have never actually read the science.
So maybe you would like to comment on Briffa concerning Yamal? Since you actually "read the science".

Oh and while you are at it, what is your take on the surface stations concerning UHI?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You are aware that the Greenland ice sheet is melting at an ever accelerating rate....as more dark surface area is exposed, this lowers the albido of the Island and with water flowing over the ice.....the two factors are causing a feed-back loop that within a few decades will melt thousands of cubic miles of ice.

Obviously this will cause sea levels to rise by at least 10 feet....actually closer to thirty, but I'll stay on the conservative side.

This however is not the MAIN threat from the icesheet melting. It is the disruption and shutdown of the ocean's thermohaline circulation. This is a global circulation affecting our entire planet and it's climate i.e. the Gulf Stream.

The volume of cold and fresh water flowing off of Greenland will lower the oceans temperature and salinity near the island. UNFORTUNATELY, it is the warmer temperature and higher salinity that drives this circulation.

The thermohaline circulation will collapse and the Gulfstream is part of this process. Europe, Asia and North America will experience another Little Ice Age at best and a "real' Ice Age at worst....we are long overdue for the next Ice Age and here is our ticket if we do not do something and fast.

Within one person's lifetime(a geologic blink of the eye)......our world will change for thousands of years, before the circulation can reestablish itself. This circulation is how heat from the equator is transferred around the planet. Without it, we are in BIG trouble!

Therefore, I actually agree with your thread title. The theory of Global Warming never inferred that it will get warmer everywhere...I really do not know where people have gotten this misinformation.

Greenland warming of 1920–1930 and 1995–2005

Quote:
We provide an analysis of Greenland temperature records to compare the current (1995–2005) warming period with the previous (1920–1930) Greenland warming. We find that the current Greenland warming is not unprecedented in recent Greenland history. Temperature increases in the two warming periods are of a similar magnitude, however, the rate of warming in 1920–1930 was about 50% higher than that in 1995–2005.
http://www.climateaudit.org/?p=695

Quote:
A couple of features catch my eye. First, there isn't a big trend on either coast. Second, the 1930s were warmer than the present, a point we've heard on many occasions. Third, the amplitudes of the east coast gridcells is lesas than the west coast gridcells. Fourth, there is little change in upspikes; in "warm" periods, what you see is more an absence of downspikes, which characterize the late 19th century. Any slight trend in a couple of gridcells is dependent on these 19th century downspikes. I'm not drawing any conclusions from it, but there is no obvious "Arctic amplification" here; in fact, there is none. So if one of the fingerprints is Arctic amplification, CSI could find no fingerprints at this crime scene. The Hockey Team must have wiped off the prints and "moved on".
Quote:
Fisher 1996 (NATO) noted this lack of centennial texture, but placed in a broader context. He noted that this set of cores (and also GISP2) had very little centennial variability throughout the entire Holocene. In this respect, they were very different from many other cores (e.g. Agassiz, Devon) which had very warm Holocene Optimum - significantly warmer than modern or medieval - and considerable centennial variability. Fisher noted the problem, but had no firm explanation. He posited that the GISP2 and the Fisher stack cores were very high and he speculated that their very coldness and remoteness made them less susceptible to change. As an analogy, think of a LIFO inventory - this is the inventory base that never gets changed. Anyway, Fisher had no explanation -he said, however, that, until you solved the big problem of Holocene lack of variability, it was mere trifling to to worry about centennial variability. Fisher, by the way, did not have a Hockey Team approach to data. I asked him in November 2003 about one of his studies, just after MM03. He inundated me with data; he sent me a diskette with lots of data and copies of numerous interesting papers.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
if you spent serious time on this thread or any other on the subject over the last month, you would know that the IPCC is dominated by 3 men.

Mann
Jones
Briffa

These three men and thier work have been repeatedly discreated. they PUSH the AGW agenda with science that when challenged, has more holes than the strainer I use to drain my mac-n-cheese.

IPCC is about as accurate as a blind man shooting a .45 pistol at quail.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
So maybe you would like to comment on Briffa concerning Yamal? Since you actually "read the science".

Oh and while you are at it, what is your take on the surface stations concerning UHI?
oops! LOL!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Read until your hearts content and keep clicking "older enteries" as you are done with each page as the list goes on and on with all of the problems concerning them. Oh and btw, that site is from one of the reviewers of the AR4 who also was responsible for the discredit of Mann, Hansen, and currently Briffa today. Everything he has published has shown to be correct. The main complaint from readers on that site is that he should publish all of his findings as it would bring a large portion of the climate science community to its knees.

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=23 (broken link)

Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:

As soon as you explain thermohaline circulation to me...in your words. AND explain why the permafrost in Alaska and Siberia is compromised and tell me why the Greenland ice sheet is melting at an accelerating rate; along with the "Big Freeze Theory"..

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 10-13-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oops! LOL!

Sad isn't it?

They keep claiming "real science" and yet every time the "science" comes up they switch to political banter. Bluefly in the other thread went on and on about "real science" and when I overloaded him with data concerning his mention of Mann's Hurricane study, he tried to turn it into me hating the planet and being against innovation and improvement in technology.

And they wonder why people are so venomous concerning the climate science community and its claims? They need to pull their head out of the sand. If they don't they will destroy an entire fields credibility for years to come and while I do think some in the field need the humiliation, I don't think it should come at the expense of the entire field.

Though personally I place some of the blame on the legitimate scientists in the field as they could have nipped this in the bud early. I know their fears were being outcast through political strong arm, but its the same result if the entire public views the field as a joke.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
As soon as you explain thermohaline circulation to me...in your words.
density = temp + salt. Nifty little subway system of currents, though your assumptions of their significance concerning polar regions is contested. By whose work do you subscribe to so I can get a picture of your playing field or will this be a nifty little game of fallacious arrogance with a failure to state?

your addition:

Quote:
explain why the permafrost in Alaska and Siberia is compromised and tell me why the Greenland ice sheet is melting at an accelerating rate; along with the "Big Freeze Theory"..
See my previous post concerning Greenland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies