Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,790,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I was driving into a restaurant parking lot about 30 mins ago and noticed a mom (I guess it was the mom) sliding open the minivan side door, a lit cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and reaching in to get her toddler our of her child seat.

Now I know there is no law (that I know of) that prevents people from smoking around children, but should there be? Is there any reason why children should be exposed to the dangers of smoking? I always hear about smokers and their rights, but what about the rights of the child? Do they want to suck in smoke? I think these parents, grandparents, etc who smoke around children should be put in jail. PERIOD
LOCK ME UP!!! ... ..i'm guilty.... I raised 4 sons by myself ! They've never been sick a day in their lives - they are approaching 30!

Lock me up! I smoked around them every day inside the house!! 3 of em still live @ home w/me!

YOU ARE ONE VERY DANGEROUS PERSON - spouting off like that!!

I wonder what you suggest for people that "think' differently than you do? A .. .. Lobotomy ???

I shudder to think what you would do for people that have had alcohol around children or ones that use foul language. hmmm how about drugs??? such as Caffine! or Aspirin??

First you ask a bunch of questions then you provide your very own unique solution - YOU BELONG w/Obama as one of his mighty CZARS

Last edited by SityData; 05-03-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Long trips, my windows are cracked, pulling out the smoke.

Short trips here and there, no.

I remember as a kid... In the back seat with the windows rolled up in the smog of my mom and dad burning down. On top of that, they had that stinky hair creme in my hair(little dab will do ya)
I felt like puking.

So, I know what it is like as a kid, so I do everything possible to keep my kid away from it as much as possible.

My Nephew is freak'n pampered momma's boy and has every problem in the world including lung problems. My kid, nothing.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 PM

867 posts, read 498,863 times
Quote:
I was driving into a restaurant parking lot about 30 mins ago and noticed a mom (I guess it was the mom) sliding open the minivan side door, a lit cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and reaching in to get her toddler our of her child seat.

Now I know there is no law (that I know of) that prevents people from smoking around children, but should there be? Is there any reason why children should be exposed to the dangers of smoking? I always hear about smokers and their rights, but what about the rights of the child? Do they want to suck in smoke? I think these parents, grandparents, etc who smoke around children should be put in jail. PERIOD
Yes, it is well past time we protected people from the assaults they suffer from tobacco addicts.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:
Wondering how long it would take before Obama's name came up.

It's this simple:

Smoking around a child=child abuse.
Nonsense.

Having kids you can't afford and using the public teet for entitlement bennies is child abuse.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
I feel sorry for you Kentuckydad. As you can see, people seem to have this bizarre self-entitlement complex when it comes to smoking and they are going to (and have) attack you for an idea that would make perfect sense under any other circumstances. But the question shouldn't be "where shouldn't people be allowed to smoke" it should be "where should they be allowed to smoke." People should only be allowed to smoke under the following circumstances:

1. They can smoke in their car as long as they have all of the windows rolled up and there is no one under the age of 21 in the car.

2. They can smoke in their house as long as it's a single-family with property around it, and as long as there is no one under the age of 21 in the house.

3. They can smoke in any enclosed area with a closed-circuit ventilation system, provided that there is no one under the age of 21 in the area.

I think those are fair terms for smokers. It's interesting that so many people think they have a "right" to smoke around other people and if other people don't like it they can just leave. As if people would let me carry around radioactive waste in public if I felt like it and if they didn't like being around it then they can just leave. Under what other circumstances would we allow people to do things in public that injuries everyone around the because they feel like it? Do we support a rapists right to rape? If the victim is in public is she fair game? This nonsense with the smokers privileges has got to stop. I have nothing against tobacco companies or people who smoke. If you want to smoke that's cool; just do it in your own house or car, and away from small children.

And yes, smoking around children should be considered child abuse.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I think there should be a laws that prevents people from smoking in a closed in place with kids there. Unfortunately I doubt it would be enforced but I do think feel parents that smoke around children are ignorant jackasses.
Next we will have search warrants issued to knock folks doors down because a neighbor said they saw mommy smoking in the house. The lies about second hand smoke that have been thrown around are beyond ridiculous to begin with. We'd all be dead if the crap they spew were true.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I feel sorry for you Kentuckydad. As you can see, people seem to have this bizarre self-entitlement complex when it comes to smoking and they are going to (and have) attack you for an idea that would make perfect sense under any other circumstances. But the question shouldn't be "where shouldn't people be allowed to smoke" it should be "where should they be allowed to smoke." People should only be allowed to smoke under the following circumstances:

1. They can smoke in their car as long as they have all of the windows rolled up and there is no one under the age of 21 in the car.

2. They can smoke in their house as long as it's a single-family with property around it, and as long as there is no one under the age of 21 in the house.

3. They can smoke in any enclosed area with a closed-circuit ventilation system, provided that there is no one under the age of 21 in the area.

I think those are fair terms for smokers. It's interesting that so many people think they have a "right" to smoke around other people and if other people don't like it they can just leave. As if people would let me carry around radioactive waste in public if I felt like it and if they didn't like being around it then they can just leave. Under what other circumstances would we allow people to do things in public that injuries everyone around the because they feel like it? Do we support a rapists right to rape? If the victim is in public is she fair game? This nonsense with the smokers privileges has got to stop. I have nothing against tobacco companies or people who smoke. If you want to smoke that's cool; just do it in your own house or car, and away from small children.

And yes, smoking around children should be considered child abuse.
Your post is a perfect example of the mass hysteria tossed around about catching a wiff of a cigarette. I don't smoke, never have, nasty habit but tossing around nonsense like comparing it raping someone is beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:

...and you base this on......?

I know plenty of middle aged adults and even some in their 80s, who grew up with parents who smoked, and they never suffered any ill effects. I even met a few who were spanked when they were four, and survived that too. But, you go ahead and populate our prisons with smokers, and put them in the same prison cells as hardened criminals. That will make for a better America.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:

Simple answer: NO.
We have enough laws and there has to be a point where the government needs to stay out of people’s lives. If you disagree let me ask you, is there anything in your life where the government could step in for "your own good" especially if there are no limits? Do you drink, do you eat fatty foods, are you overweight, do you exercise regularly, do you use a barbeque grill .........? Think about it folks, be careful wha you wish for, you just might get it.
Question: Are there any proven records of any child getting cancer from the secondhand smoking of their parent or are people overreacting based on fear? Anyone have any verifiable data?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
Im a smoker and I think it should be illegal to smoke in a car with kids.
I dont think it should be illegal to smoke in the house with kids, but I personally would never do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies