Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
And you and other Republicans are doing your part to PUT DOWN Obama every single day.

You take every minor facet of his life (a weekend getaway with his wife) and turn it into major negative news story.

Don't you Republicans have lives of your own?

Do you spend every waking hour in front of your computers scanning NewsMax.com (and the like) hoping for a new story to post at City-Data?

I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that the economy is IMPROVING under Obama!

No more than the Dems did when Bush was President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not necessarily. Higher profits can come from a number of areas besides "demand". Cut the price, lay off employees, cut the dividend, etc. can all lead to higher profits. Doesn't mean demand is there.

lol..I see pghquest beat me to this explanation
And of course, cutting prices, laying off employees, cutting dividends (look at Buffeets company for example), can all lead to higher stock prices, i.e. the DJIA going up.

I find it funny that many want to pretend that a higher DJIA = a good indicator of a good economy, when often times it can be just the opposite.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
No more than the Dems did when Bush was President.
They didn't think it would get better did they? After they savaged bush day in and day out?

This party is just getting started.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
And you and other Republicans are doing your part to PUT DOWN Obama every single day.

You take every minor facet of his life (a weekend getaway with his wife) and turn it into major negative news story.

Don't you Republicans have lives of your own?

Do you spend every waking hour in front of your computers scanning NewsMax.com (and the like) hoping for a new story to post at City-Data?

I'm sorry you can't handle the fact that the economy is IMPROVING under Obama!
Kinda takes you back to the bush days doesn't it? Don't you find it hard to look in the mirror and see us looking back at you?????

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Incorrect again, higher profits often is due to cutting expenses which include, employees, property overhead costs, cancelling of contracts.

example: If GM has a warehouse full of previously built cars, and they lay people off, it reduces expenses and increases profits because the cars are already built and sitting in a warehouse, thereby no overhead to build.

Airlines can cut out unprofitable routes, by laying off employees, cutting selling off their planes

just because profits are going up, it is not always due to demand, often times its due to a lack of demand in cutting of costs, and yes, employees are costs to a business.
The problem here is, you are reading WAY TOO MUCH into the finest details of my comments.

Would you have preferred that I said ... "Once business improves, companies will begin to rehire workers?

Would that make you happy?

Does the word "profits" bother you so much, that you want to debate it for an endless number of posts?

I'm also sorry you are unhappy with the fact that our economy is IMPROVING under Obama!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,060,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah, things are looking up, provided you ignore all of the stores closed/closing this year
Payless announced they will be closing 67 stores
Zales announced they will be closing 191
Blockbusters, 810-960 stores
Smith & Hawken, all of their stores
Crabtree & Evelyn, filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Big 10 Tires, 32 stores
Bank of America, shutting down over 600 branches
Citigroup, closing down many of their branches
PacSun 40 stores
Bulgari
Sears & Kmart 28 more stores
Samsonite, Chapter 11 bankruptcy, closing over 1/2 of their stores
WaldenBooks, shutting down 80% of their stores
Jo Ann stores
Rite Aid
J. Jill
Jones Apparel
Whataburger
Advanced Auto Parts
Advanced America Cash Advance Centers
Ruehl
Boaters World
GM branches
Chrysler branches
Pier 1 Imports
Starbucks
Ann Taylor
Macys
Home Depo Design Centers
Circuit City
American Greetings
Rudy Tuesdays
Spartsmans Warehouse
Iridesse
Fortunoff
Phillips-Van Heusen
Yankee Candles
Virgin Megastore
Supervalue Cub Foods
Goodys Family Clothing
Sweetbay Supermarkets
World Market
Oneida
S&K Famous Brands
Famous Footwear
Claires
Kira Plastinina
Whole Foods & Wild Oats
Bealls
Gap Inc
Canadian Sams Club Stores
Bassett Furniture
Z Gallerie
Jimmy'z
Bruno's
Filene's Basement
New York and Company
Chico's
Snyders Drug Stores
Better Bedding
Gottschalks
Costco Home Stores
Ritz Camera

among many others.. Yeah, ignore all of the closings and bankruptcies going on, the massive unemployment, the massive debt, the deflated dollar, and only look at the stock market, (as if thats skyrocketing) and indeed the economy is doing just fine...
that's right! we need eight more years of W's policies to really shut down every thing and outsource the unshut...

Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
The problem here is, you are reading WAY TOO MUCH into the finest details of my comments.
If you dont want people to read into your wording, then maybe you shouldnt be posting. After all, it was your comments that you are now back peddling on..
Quote:
Would you have preferred that I said ... "Once business improves, companies will begin to rehire workers?
Getting closer, but is business improving? The list of businesses closing or filing bankruptcy, says no.
Quote:
Does the word "profits" bother you so much, that you want to debate it for an endless number of posts?
Profits dont at all bother me, people thinking that profits = employment however does because it shows a lack of understanding of economics. Buffets company for example was making billions in profit, but had 12 employees, where as we all know GM had hundreds of thousands of employees and losing money..
Quote:
I'm also sorry you are unhappy with the fact that our economy is IMPROVING under Obama!
So you are one of those individuals that thinks the DJIA is an economic indicator of the economy? Can we quote you, and possibly search what you said about it when the DJIA was going down?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
The Dow has fallen more than 75% from its high of 43.7 ounces of gold. It is worth less than 10 ounces of gold (approx between 9 and 9.5). The graph is in log scale so the decline doesn't appear as sharp as it actually is.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Kinda takes you back to the bush days doesn't it? Don't you find it hard to look in the mirror and see us looking back at you?????
Not really ... I started posting in the politics forum just before the 2008 election.

Before that, I only posted in the San Diego forum.

The things I posted about Bush were usually related to big issues, like 9/11, Iraq, etc.

I had better things to do with my own time than focus on Bush's personal life, like you Republicans are doing with Obama.

It seems like a completely pathetic waste of time to me.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Not really ... I started posting in the politics forum just before the 2008 election.

Before that, I only posted in the San Diego forum.

The things I posted about Bush were usually related to big issues, like 9/11, Iraq, etc.

I had better things to do with my own time than focus on Bush's personal life, like you Republicans are doing with Obama.

It seems like a completely pathetic waste of time to me.
Sorta like you being here praising Obadma all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies