Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:40 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
Like you've been any more objective or concise.

You started this thread because you had one negative experience with a group of black teens, and then used that experience to broad brush black youth with your own preconceived prejudiced, bigoted view points.

The crux of your argument was essentially, because of your experience, "they must all be like that".

If the teens in this situation had been white, you wouldn't have bothered to create this thread.
You, my friend, are about as thick as a brick. The point of the OP was that there is a problem with thuggish behavior among many black youth in this country. The OPs example was just that . . . an example.

Nobody is suggesting that all blacks are thuggish. Nobody is even suggesting that all black youth are thuggish.

You seem to have a real problem with those who want to discuss the problems in certain segments of the black community particularly on this forum. I know blacks discuss this amongst themselves. I know blacks do not want to discuss this with whites but get used to it because we are going to discuss it. Most of us are not racist and most of us do not discriminate. It would be nice if you would contribute to the discussion instead of pounding on everyone for being racist for simply discussing a problem that everyone knows exists.

- Reel

Old 10-15-2009, 06:43 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You, my friend, are about as thick as a brick. The point of the OP was that there is a problem with thuggish behavior among many black youth in this country. The OPs example was just that . . . an example.

Nobody is suggesting that all blacks are thuggish. Nobody is even suggesting that all black youth are thuggish.

You seem to have a real problem with those who want to discuss the problems in certain segments of the black community particularly on this forum. I know blacks discuss this amongst themselves. I know blacks do not want to discuss this with whites but get used to it because we are going to discuss it. Most of us are not racist and most of us do not discriminate. It would be nice if you would contribute to the discussion instead of pounding on everyone for being racist for simply discussing a problem that everyone knows exists.

- Reel
The problem isnt that blacks don't want to discuss it with whites, but many of times what happens is, people come on here and post things like, well it's genetic, they can't help it, or things of that nature, which doesn't allow for open discussion, it puts people on the defensive.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Read the lyrics to a song called "Soldier" by Destiny's Child. It's very disturbing. It just goes to show that thugs behave the way they do because they have to in order to attract girls.
I thought that was one of the stupidest songs EVER but because America was still running high on their Beyonce addiction no one really protested to them singing about wanting a drug dealer who was high all the time but then Lil Wayne sings a song about oral sex and NOW there's a problem.

Welcome to America - home of the double standard.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
I know blacks discuss this amongst themselves. I know blacks do not want to discuss this with whites but get used to it because we are going to discuss it. Most of us are not racist and most of us do not discriminate. It would be nice if you would contribute to the discussion instead of pounding on everyone for being racist for simply discussing a problem that everyone knows exists.

- Reel
I have no problems discussing the issue with white people but I do have problems when the discussion is based on "let's trash black people". Since it's obvious the thread is not going to be closed; I asked the OP to restate her purpose for this thread - to be clear and direct about what it is she wants to discuss and she declined, instead choosing to fling more insults....so I'm pretty sure that she's not trying to discuss anything.

Reel, if you want to ask a question on the behalf of the OP since you seem to be one of the few that understood whatever it was she was attempting to say then go right ahead.

When I see an actual question - I will answer it.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
The problem isnt that blacks don't want to discuss it with whites, but many of times what happens is, people come on here and post things like, well it's genetic, they can't help it, or things of that nature, which doesn't allow for open discussion, it puts people on the defensive.
I agree. Genetic differences between the races or between the different ethnic groups within the races is difficult to discuss. Obviously there are differences i.e. physical. There are other differences too that are not as obvious i.e resistance to disease.

I don't want to get into a discussion right now about genetic differences. I just want to ask you how this can be discussed without having people get defensive and raising their ire? Are you suggesting that there may be truths that simply cannot be or should not be discussed?

- Reel

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I don't want to get into a discussion right now about genetic differences. I just want to ask you how this can be discussed without having people get defensive and raising their ire? Are you suggesting that there may be truths that simply cannot be or should not be discussed?

- Reel
It's all in the way you say things. If I come knock on your front door to discuss a problem with you and every other word out of mouth is rude and I'm speaking to you in a disrespectful tone; are you really going to say "Well Natalayjones, I can see where you're coming from so let's sit down and discuss this like two rational adults."

Of course not. When someone approaches you in a confrontational manner; your defenses go up. And that's what happened when I read the OP.

I didn't see "this is something that I want to discuss and here is an example of it" I saw "I think black teens are thugs and this is my proof"

Now if I'm wrong you or the OP are free to correct me and tell me what the subject of the discussion is and then I’ll be happy to discuss.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM

145 posts, read 184,273 times
Quote:
I agree. Genetic differences between the races or between the different ethnic groups within the races is difficult to discuss. Obviously there are differences i.e. physical. There are other differences too that are not as obvious i.e resistance to disease.

- Reel
Are you sure I'm the one who's "thicker than a brick"? Here you are talking about "races" as if that's still a relevant and scientifically accepted concept. It's not.

There can be more genetic variation between two people of the same "race" than between two people of different "races". The concept is out dated and rejected by a large number of scientists.

Furthermore, blacks, being the oldest "race" of people on the planet are the most dissimilar genetically than any other "race". There's too much genetic variation to classify blacks as one group, so to say that blacks as a whole are genetically predisposed toward violence, aggression, or stupidity is not only totally off base but also racist.

People are individuals. You cannot box people into categorical stereotypes.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I thought that was one of the stupidest songs EVER but because America was still running high on their Beyonce addiction no one really protested to them singing about wanting a drug dealer who was high all the time but then Lil Wayne sings a song about oral sex and NOW there's a problem.

Welcome to America - home of the double standard.

This is why I prefer to avoid all music made after 2000, and most made after 1995. Music doesnt require any real substance any more.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It's all in the way you say things. If I come knock on your front door to discuss a problem with you and every other word out of mouth is rude and I'm speaking to you in a disrespectful tone; are you really going to say "Well Natalayjones, I can see where you're coming from so let's sit down and discuss this like two rational adults."

Of course not. When someone approaches you in a confrontational manner; your defenses go up. And that's what happened when I read the OP.

I didn't see "this is something that I want to discuss and here is an example of it" I saw "I think black teens are thugs and this is my proof"

Now if I'm wrong you or the OP are free to correct me and tell me what the subject of the discussion is and then I’ll be happy to discuss.
Ok, let me try. With all due respect, blacks on average are better athletes and I believe this is due to genetics. I believe blacks on average have more testosterone. How much more is a subject for debate but blacks also process testosterone differently and have more androgen receptors than whites.

This means that if blacks workout they will become bigger and stronger than whites. Not unlike taking synthetic hormones for performance enhancement. Even if you don't want to consider the scientific evidence there is ample anecdotal evidence.

How did I do?

- Reel

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Ok, let me try. With all due respect, blacks on average are better athletes and I believe this is due to genetics. I believe blacks on average have more testosterone. How much more is a subject for debate but blacks also process testosterone differently and have more androgen receptors than whites.

This means that if blacks workout they will become bigger and stronger than whites. Not unlike taking synthetic hormones for performance enhancement. Even if you don't want to consider the scientific evidence there is ample anecdotal evidence.

How did I do?

- Reel
Ok that's fine...but what does that have to do with "why are there so many black teen thugs?"

And you don't have to be so PC "with all due respect" - just say what you mean. I don't have my "racist alert glasses" on yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies