Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM

507 posts, read 678,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
The problem is that people like you will continue to dance around the issue as if it doesn't exist because it exists in predominantly the black community. Facts cannot be racist. Until we address the issue for what it is and come up with a way to deal with it, people like you will continue to allow the black community to suffer due to neglect from society as a whole. No matter how good your intentions may be.
Please tell me what I am dancing around. I live in an urban community, and I volunteer weekly tutoring children and working with an after school program. My actual actions do far more than people's endless gripes on this forum.

My problem is when people stereotype and generalize. That is wrong, and I am not going to pretend that it is acceptable. I walk past urban teens in my neighborhood everyday, and I have never experienced any problems thus far. That is not to say that problems don't exist, but I think many of the responses in this thread have gone overboard.

I am also a member of the black community, and the black community that I grew up in was college educated, middle class, and hard working. It frustrates me to no end when I read crap like this because it is simply not the reality I know. Instead of speaking in specifics, people generalize to stir up drama, and it needs to stop.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Criminal gangs controlled the western US in the late 1800s and were really little different from todays gangs in that they used violence and intimidation to prey on the weak and defenseless. Individuals who stood up to them, be they a local sheriff or citizen were usually ambushed and murdered. No laws, lawyers or judges changed that. It was the people getting fed up, organizing, and presenting a united force (posses and armed citizens groups) to eliminate them. It was the hangman's rope and bullet that brought law and order. Tolerance of the presence of criminal gangs allows them to exist. As long as we fear them and leave things to the other guy to deal with, they will thrive. The police are powerless due to restrictions placed upon them and the likelihood of being sued for "civil rights" violations, losing their job and hard earned retirement (and the gangs will come after their families in reprisal). Our laws protect the criminals; we are on our own.

Al Capone was somebody's kid too.
Thank you for that treatise on gangs but I don't believe we are talking about gangs.

- Reel

Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
For these people that say it's genetic, can I see some proof of that statement.

I'm shocked at some of the people who say it but it's nice to know who your enemies are.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Please tell me what I am dancing around. I live in an urban community, and I volunteer weekly tutoring children and working with an after school program. My actual actions do far more than people's endless gripes on this forum.

My problem is when people stereotype and generalize. That is wrong, and I am not going to pretend that it is acceptable. I walk past urban teens in my neighborhood everyday, and I have never experienced any problems thus far. That is not to say that problems don't exist, but I think many of the responses in this thread have gone overboard.

I am also a member of the black community, and the black community that I grew up in was college educated, middle class, and hard working. It frustrates me to no end when I read crap like this because it is simply not the reality I know. Instead of speaking in specifics, people generalize to stir up drama, and it needs to stop.
crime statistics by race for those who cry racism... - [domain blocked due to spam]
There is a problem, and it can be at least partially pinpointed to race.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,858 times
You ever wonder why that almost all the black rappers, and a lot of the pro athletes are in some sort of legal trouble?

How rap music glorifies violence, violence against women, and all those things that are scourges to society? If you remove money, bling, violence, and women from rap music, you don't have much left to talk about. A lot of perpetual and self inflicted sob stories.

These are the people who are making money off mostly white kids (ever see the demographics at a rap concert?).

I guess being a menace to society adds to the street cred.

T.I. wins two BET awards from prison - Music- msnbc.com

Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 AM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
You say FOUR Black teen thugs and you think this is a rampant problem?

Oh goodness.

A white person came into where I worked and vomited and peed. Why are white people so gross?

If you're sick of being a victim, stop thinking like one and calling yourself one. What are you doing to help these black teens besides call them thugs?
We had a massive problem of groups white guys peeing on a Asian girls when I was in college, but it really never occurred to me stereotype all white people. I don't understand why it's acceptable to do that with blacks.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
For these people that say it's genetic, can I see some proof of that statement.

I'm shocked at some of the people who say it but it's nice to know who your enemies are.
Can anyone show me the race that is not afflicted by violence? Where is that peaceful race and where do they live? Not on this planet, obviously.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
And unfortunately, the stereotypes are perpetuated and reinforced by the very people in the rap circles and professional sport circles that look like you because of their skin color.

When you have a lot of rappers who talk about violence, mugging, hurting, stealing, etc., what are you to do when you are a regular joe walking down the street, white or black or whatever, and you come upon someone who's appearance parallels those making "threats" via their rap music?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Can anyone show me the race that is not afflicted by violence? Where is that peaceful race and where do they live? Not on this planet, obviously.
Look at the stats of any major metropolitan area and you will find that the poorer races are also the races who commit the most crime.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Thank you for that treatise on gangs but I don't believe we are talking about gangs.

- Reel
You don't have to be MS-13 to be a gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies