Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 12:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

[quote=malamute;11139760]
Quote:
Slavery wasn't really it -- it was too long ago to still be the factor. Many small towns were "neglected" - in fact receive far less in government handouts.
Slavery was not too long ago to be a factor. In the Americas it ended in 1888; 121 years ago........People of African descent have no connection with even their own identities and have had to create their own religion, identities and culture, and this was done under constant fear for life because of racial terrorism and dehumanization. When two generations back (and there are people alive for whom this is the case), your living ancestors weren't even considered human, this affects the way you look at life. It is a fact.

As for your second point - small towns are also suffering. It is not government "handouts." It is Federal money that was diverted from the cities to the affluent white Republican suburbs both as punishment for the cities and rewards/incentives/graft/protection money for the 'burbs.

Quote:
The problem is government dependency. Government interference more than anything is the problem. The inner cities depend on low quality government schools, they depend on the government for their health care, food stamps, housing. The government pays them to breed but the rule is they can't marry the fathers and they benefit most if they don't have a clue who the father might be. The fathers can't compete with the government in providing the material luxuries
What would you suggest as alternative The market? Corporate America? Capitalism? The only reason the gov't has had to provide is that because of the double whammy of rampant discrimination and economic decline, there aren't any jobs available for the fathers even if they wanted them.........and the overwhelming majority of them want to. Would you right wing Republican "personal responsibility" types be willing to provide a haven from the inner city by letting these fathers and their families into your neighborhoods? Hmmm..

Last I heard, the government ran schools in the suburbs as well, and paid their cops to harass those of the wrong color who dared to venture into the burbs......

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In fact the black middle class grew significantly in the Reagan years.
I don't know about that.........but I know the crime rate, the poverty rate, the disparity in income and and the gaps in wealth between the richest and poorest Americans grew significantly between 1981 and 2008.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
67%. I heard it on Fox News this week.
Fox is NOT NEWS. The Federal Courts have ruled that.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Democrats caused these problems.
Democrats continue to let these problems fester.
Democrats continue to promote class hatred.
Democrats continue to promote the "I'm entitled" mentality!
Democrats continue to control many major cities with Gang Problems.

Democrats are the problem!
Conservative Republicans are the solution!

OK.......what solutions do you have?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Quote:
Hell, you may as well have heard it from the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:

sounds fair and balanced to me................

Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Thank you for saying this. I am sick of people GENERALIZING AND STEREOTYPING about the poor in this country. Many poor people are trying hard to make their way and give their children a better life. Most of our immigrant ancestors were very, very poor. I grew up poor, but did not engage in prostitution or crime. It is not a poverty issue -- it is a cultural issue and the black community has some serious problems that are evidenced in STATISTICS, which are not racist. The culture is a problem and rap music is a fundamental causative element. When 70% of black children are born out of wedlock, there is a serious problem. Stop calling anyone who points that out a racist.

If rap music was the problem than why is the crime rates in the inner cities lower now than it was during the 70's and 80's prior to rap music coming out or when rap music was out, but prior to the gangsta rap era? This is about poverty plain and simple. The fact that the crime rates dropped dramatically during the 90's when the poverty rates also saw sharp declines are evident to this fact.

You talk about stereotyping yet your entire OP was a stereotype when you based the actions of four people in an entire race........

Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
OK.......what solutions do you have?
Tell us how the Democrats solution (throwing welfare at everything) has helped?

back when we had manufacturing in America (before the neo cons helped ship these jobs overseas) many blacks were employed in America by manufacturing companies started by capitalistic entrepreneurs (yeah, that evil capitalism that Libs hate so much)

It is a 2 party problem that is not being address effectively by either party currently at all

Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
The word "mugger" is also of Indian origin, but I'll make you guess where that one came from.
OK, since you all pleaded with me to tell, "mugger" is the North Indian word for crocodile. Now aren't you glad you asked?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Hell, you may as well have heard it from the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.
OK, tell me what you consider a reliable news source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies