Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,377,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
if you were the real LordBalfor, you would know....

since you need glasses, it shows satellite data from 1979 and 2008.
The first set of images from 1979 shows sea ice extent of 18.0 million sq km and sea ice concentration total area 13.6 million sq km
The second set shows 2008 sea ice extent of 18.1 million sq km and total sea ice concentration total area 13.9 million sq km.

Proof of growth in the Antarctic Ice pack over the last 30 years. Add to that the 2009 melt season saw the smallest amount of melt in 30 odd years according to scientists.

It is quite problematic for those who are suggesting that Antarctica is losing ice. That simply is not in the data and I don’t care how many PhD’s you can find to say otherwise.

IPCC is once again foiled by the actual factual SCIENCE. (for a group of scientists, the sure get bullywoogered by the science)
Hate to break this to you but I AM the REAL LordBalfor - though not the real Lord Balfour (long dead) - and I have NO idea what your "Real LordBalfor" statement means - so please enlighten me.

Regarding the icepack - the photo itself is of little use - though the data is helpful. However, aside from that, coverage of the icepack is but one side of the story - what is the change (if any) in the thickness? How much as precipation changed?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,954,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Retreat of South Cascade Glacier, Washington, during the 20th Century and the beginning of the 21st Century.
Awesome cherry-picking of data.

Crater Glacier growing 50 feet per year
Nisqually glacier is growing
Mount Shuksan glaciers growing
Mount Shasta glaciers growing
The East Antarctic Ice Sheet, which covers almost five million square miles is growing
Himalayan Glaciers Growing
Glaciers are growing in Norway

Old 10-16-2009, 02:32 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,423,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Hate to break this to you but I AM the REAL LordBalfor - though not the real Lord Balfour (long dead) - and I have NO idea what your "Real LordBalfor" statement means - so please enlighten me.

Regarding the icepack - the photo itself is of little use - though the data is helpful. However, aside from that, coverage of the icepack is but one side of the story - what is the change (if any) in the thickness? How much as precipation changed?

Ken
hee hee... I confused Lord Balfour with Lord Moncton

i think the satalite data answers your question on thickness.

the real story here is that there is no drastic climatic changes taking place in Antarctica.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM

436 posts, read 875,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
more junk science! go forth and study the science and stop reading political hacks speading nonsense.
When Charles K. Kao proposed fiber optics, you should be one of many of those to choke him down.
The 2009 Nobel Prize in Physics - Press Release

If Junk science do make your life live better and better, go ahead and name it whatever you want.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,021,080 times
Oh no. Seems the outlandish claims by the AGW fanatics have once again proven to be false.

Mass loss from Alaskan glaciers overestimated? Previous melt contributed a third less to sea-level rise than estimated

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Mar. 3, 2010) — The melting of glaciers is well documented, but when looking at the rate at which they have been retreating, a team of international researchers steps back and says not so fast.

The research team, led by Étienne Berthier of the Laboratory for Space Studies in Geophysics and Oceanography at the Université de Toulouse in France, says that glacier melt in Alaska between 1962 and 2006 contributed about one-third less to sea-level rise than previously estimated.
All natural, baby.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:35 AM

39,901 posts, read 26,597,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
News Not Told: Arctic Ice Disappearing | mnblue

Image from wikipedia. Actual images from Ecolo:
With regard to the first image...you do realize the 2nd image is dated 2050 right? As such it's someone's prediction on what will happen, not an accurate image of current data.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM

527 posts, read 468,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
D*MN! We are all gong to diiieeee! Just look what's happened since the ice age! Arggggg!
The retreating of the glaciers and the melting of the Arctic is happening a lot faster than it did back in the Ice Age- its comparing fifty years or so to thousands of years- I do not deny that the Earth has gone through climate change throughout its history, its the speed at which it is happening now that is interesting- the right likes to attack the idea because they believe it is coming from the left-science is not right or left-

Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM

938 posts, read 1,232,082 times
Cool! Fresh drinking water is on the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies