Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times

Advertisements

Any news organization that took its responsibilities seriously would take pains to cover presidential criticism fairly. It would regard doing so as itself a test of integrity. At Fox, by contrast, complaints of unfairness prompt only hoots of derision and demands for "evidence" that, when presented, is brushed off and ignored.
Rather than in any way maturing, Fox has in recent months become more boisterous and demagogic.
What's most distinctive about the American press is not its freedom but its century-old tradition of independence—that it serves the public interest rather than those of parties, persuasions, or pressure groups.....For Murdoch, Ailes, and company, "fair and balanced" is a necessary lie. To admit that their coverage is slanted by design would violate the American understanding of the media's role in democracy and our idea of what constitutes fair play. But it's a demonstrable deceit that no longer deserves equal time.
Why Fox News Is Un-American | Newsweek Newsweek Voices - Jacob Weisberg | Newsweek.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
FOX "News" is entertainment consistently of an especially biased view of this country. Unfortunately, those viewers who are not able to comprehend that it is entertainment are precisely those viewers most ready to embrace their message of bigotry and hate, and believe it to be fact.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times
I don't see much difference between any of the cable news channels. They are all mouthpieces for one side or another. On CNN, they're the "touchy-feely" channel, all concerned about minorities and the downtrodden. And they want you to follow them on twitter, blogs etc. One big commercial.
As far as the press examining itself, this applies to newspapers, news magazines and all other sources of "news". Fox does just as well as the others. They're all slanted.
That "century-old tradition" of the press being independent is just a memory.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
FOX "News" is entertainment consistently of an especially biased view of this country. Unfortunately, those viewers who are not able to comprehend that it is entertainment are precisely those viewers most ready to embrace their message of bigotry and hate, and believe it to be fact.
Can you please give me some examples of this or even one ?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Go to the comments sections at FoxNews.com.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,633 times
Quote:
"The O'Garbage Factor: Fox News isn't just bad. It's un-American."
From Newsweek, the same rag that compared Obama to a God.
RealClearPolitics - Video - Newsweek Editor Evan Thomas: Obama Is "Sort Of God"
Quote:
I mean in a way Obama's standing above the country, above above the world, he's sort of God.
It's no wonder that they would come out and attack the only media outlet that consistently questions the 'God" Obama and his disciples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I don't see much difference between any of the cable news channels.
I do. Seems as FOX is the only one to directly challenge Obama the "God" and his radical disciples.
Be thankfull someone is watching them.

Last edited by allydriver; 10-19-2009 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Dissension is un-American.

Peace is war.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Terrorist Fist Jabs anyone?

America is a bunch of race mixers anyone?

YouTube - Fox and Friends

Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
I've subscribed to Newsweek for many years, and they have obviously given up any pretense of being an unbiased news source. Their current crop of writers, with the exception of the financial writer, Robert Samuelson, bristle with disgust for for anything conservative, GWB, and strike back furiously at any critique of this current administration and it's policies.

Newsweek has totally embraced a liberal agenda and let their writing staff become much more "boisterous and demagogic" than anything I've seen on Fox, witness articles like "Killing Granny" and "Is Your Baby Racist".

I still read Newsweek, partly because they had to lower their subsciption rates to almost zero (24 ads in one issue), partly because it so accurately espouses a total liberal agenda. It's very hard to take seriously anymore.

Why are you folks striking so hard at the one news source that hasn't been totally co-opted by this administration? Doesn't it make you a little uncomfortable that all media sources just totally agree with this president? Any independent thinkers out there?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
I wonder what Newspeak...err....Newsweek would consider itself???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies