Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times

Advertisements

If we follow the UKs lead in this healthcare the next on the agenda will to follow their lead in taxes to pay for this healthcare. We'll see a gas tax that raises the price of gas to 10.00 a gallon, thats what the Brits pay, we'll be required to license TV sets (UKs tax on this is about 200.00 US per year) for those of you that smoke, you'll see them go to about 10.00 a pack. Then just for the fun of it, we'll have a GST (government sales tax) to go along with our out of control income tax. So what will we get out of all this, not only will we have a bankrupt government (that thinks money grows on trees) we'll also have a bankrupt population. Hell, you haven't seen unemployment yet, give it another year.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:56 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I was listening to the radio-oh, I guess it was last week, and they were saying that if the public option goes through, and people refuse to take it-they may be subject to imprisonment...if this is infact true, how is our country "free?" Granted nothing in life is free, but being able to speak out (atleast to a certain extent) as well as take which ever insurance plan has always been something we have been able to do. Why should we have this taken from us now? How is this fair?
No this is not true. Those talk radio people are trying to scare you. They are scaring you with lies thereby robbing you of your liberty of thought and the freedom to make up your mind based on facts.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
I don't think I heard that from Rush...I actually hardly ever listen to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Rush Limbaugh is not a credible source on the radio.

Unless you have any links to back up this claim...try another scare tactic.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
Thank you for actually being kind about my response. Unlike some people, I don't think they grasped the concept that I was not trying to use "scare tactics." Although I am not for the health care reform-I am not one of those who try to have people join me in my opinions by persuading them. Politics are always such a heated subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
No this is not true. Those talk radio people are trying to scare you. They are scaring you with lies thereby robbing you of your liberty of thought and the freedom to make up your mind based on facts.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
To Cut Healthcare Costs, Let's Start With the Secret Prices - US News and World Report

Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM

In my post above about how we're going to pay for this healthcare, I forgot to mention the VAT (Value Added Tax) that our Speaker of the House wants. Whats a VAT, it works like this, you want to buy an automobile, do you want doors on that car, we got a tax for that, how about an engine, there's a tax for that, oh! you wants seats, we got a tax for that also.
You want a door on your new refrigerator, we got a tax for that one also. Anything that adds to the value of a product will be taxed, great isn't it.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
In my post above about how we're going to pay for this healthcare, I forgot to mention the VAT (Value Added Tax) that our Speaker of the House wants. Whats a VAT, it works like this, you want to buy an automobile, do you want doors on that car, we got a tax for that, how about an engine, there's a tax for that, oh! you wants seats, we got a tax for that also.
You want a door on your new refrigerator, we got a tax for that one also. Anything that adds to the value of a product will be taxed, great isn't it.
Tax and fiscal experts say it's time to consider VAT - Oct. 2, 2009

Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
VAT is a sales tax on...everything...

They will not dare to pass it in USA,
Americans are not euro sheep.
Any USA politician who votes for VAT will commit political suicide......

Old 10-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
VAT is a sales tax on...everything...

They will not dare to pass it in USA,
Americans are not euro sheep.
Any USA politician who votes for VAT will commit political suicide......
I agree, however, I could see a GST if the government would do away with the income tax. A GST is one way to distribute the tax burden equally among the population. To have both, whoever votes for this can count on it being their last term in office.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
PurpleLove08, that US News article is dynamite!

Terryj, what is the difference between a VAT tax and a GST tax? I've experienced the GST in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies