Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:58 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I happen to be a disabled female gay black women that is grossly overweight and I am Muslim. After this Bill passes, I am going to school to become a Lawyer because I will only need one client; me!

Watch your P's and Q's "Honk_y's" (I can say that and it isn't a hate crime)!

That's about the gist of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
That is a lie and has been refuted. He was a dumb guy who left a bar with two comlete strangers that wanted to rob him.
This is an ignorant statement that continues to be echoed by homophobics.

Recent interviews with the men convicted of this murder indicate there is still no remorse for the murder and, that indeed Matthew's sexual orientation was the reason for the murder,

"[As far as Matt is concerned, I don't have any remorse," McKinney is quoted as saying, provided by The Associated Press.
McKinney, reiterates his claim that the 1998 killing in Laramie, Wyo., started out as a robbery, but makes clear that his antipathy toward gays played a role.

"The night I did it, I did have hatred for homosexuals," McKinney is quoted as saying.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Any preferential law is absurd, immoral, and unjust. Furthermore, laws which make certain thoughts, beliefs, or speech a "crime" are completely insane. In this particular case there are two obvious problems for those who don't need to wear a helmet around the house. First, it is impossible to "prove" a person's thoughts. Second, there is no right for anyone to punish another based on whether we "approve" of their thoughts or not . Happy "Tyrants Day"!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:18 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what happened to Matthew Sheppard was beyond calling him a fa**ot. That was a pre meditated murder that was soley based on the fact that he was gay. I remember the case very well as well as the one with James Byrd who was dragged behind a pickup truck in Texas for being black. This law doesn't prohibit you from using any deragatory slurs but it does hold you accountable if you assault someone.
Makes me wonder why such a law bothers you unless it infringes upon your desires to assault others who may be gay.
Sheppard was singled out like most victims are singled out.
He was small, drunk and had money. It was simple robbery/murder.
And those guys got what they deserved without hate crime laws.
Ample protection exists and the potential for abuse is huge.
We aren't mind readers.

irspow has it exactly right!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times
I expect to see laws in my lifetime that prohibit preachers of being critical of..
Homosexuality like in Sweden,etc.Just one example.
I also wouldnt be suprised to see political views silenced by hate speech laws...
In the future.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
Just saying that a guy can get in a fight with some random guy, and call him a ****** (which almost everyone does)
No, only mouthbreathers do that.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:49 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times
To be honest if two straight guys got into a fight and one called the other a..
"gay slur" i doubt there would be charges..

Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
what happened to Matthew Sheppard was beyond calling him a fa**ot. That was a pre meditated murder that was soley based on the fact that he was gay. I remember the case very well as well as the one with James Byrd who was dragged behind a pickup truck in Texas for being black. This law doesn't prohibit you from using any deragatory slurs but it does hold you accountable if you assault someone.
Makes me wonder why such a law bothers you unless it infringes upon your desires to assault others who may be gay.
Here's the thing. We shouldn't dish out punishment in degrees based on motive or who the victim was but the act itself. Do you get the death penalty for killing some woman who took away your dog because she was the head of Animal Rescue or because you murdered her? If you murder a prostitute should you get the same death penalty as the person who murdered Miss Animal Rescue? The Sheppard crime abomination was that he was an innocent person who was murdered.

This is the same reason why I don't understand why we distinguish between a police officer being murdered and any citizen being murdered. Murder is murder, hang them all.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:51 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
RIP America and free speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Any preferential law is absurd, immoral, and unjust. Furthermore, laws which make certain thoughts, beliefs, or speech a "crime" are completely insane.
Which would render this law unconstitutional.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Here's the thing. We shouldn't dish out punishment in degrees based on motive or who the victim was but the act itself. Do you get the death penalty for killing some woman who took away your dog because she was the head of Animal Rescue or because you murdered her? If you murder a prostitute should you get the same death penalty as the person who murdered Miss Animal Rescue? The Sheppard crime abomination was that he was an innocent person who was murdered.

This is the same reason why I don't understand why we distinguish between a police officer being murdered and any citizen being murdered. Murder is murder, hang them all.
I see you are from the great state of TN and like TX both states try to treat all murderers with equal opportunity death row sentences. We do a better job of dealing with our killers down here and get criticized.

If states like CA, NY and others would treat all murders the same and apply equal justice they would understand all are hate crimes.

I guess it would be proper when you execute a killer to give them a extra round of lethal injections since it was a hate crime. Even with life in prison, what would you give someone for a hate crime ? Two life sentences ?

Needless stupid laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies