Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 PM

256 posts, read 842,441 times

Advertisements

Hate crimes bill goes to Obama for signature - CNN.com

So if you say fa*g*t to someone and have a fight it is a hate crime even if they arent gay

I dont think i have seen a fight happen where someone didnt call the other guy a fa**ot. That is what guys do.

ugh. Terrible law. so sick of this kind of garbage. Whatever happened to men being men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times
what happened to Matthew Sheppard was beyond calling him a fa**ot. That was a pre meditated murder that was soley based on the fact that he was gay. I remember the case very well as well as the one with James Byrd who was dragged behind a pickup truck in Texas for being black. This law doesn't prohibit you from using any deragatory slurs but it does hold you accountable if you assault someone.
Makes me wonder why such a law bothers you unless it infringes upon your desires to assault others who may be gay.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM

432 posts, read 605,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Makes me wonder why such a law bothers you unless it infringes upon your desires to assault others who may be gay.

All assaults/murders/etc... are already HATE crimes.

Blacks commit more crime than any other race in this country. Yet this hate crime legislation is only there to protect minorities like gays... But there is no proposal for black on white crime to be an actual "hate crime".

There are already laws on the books for when people commit crimes. It is insane to ADD longer sentences b.c a person thought the other guy was a ******, or *****, or didn't like his skin tone.

It is one of Orwell's "thought crimes"...

Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM

256 posts, read 842,441 times
Quote:
what happened to Matthew Sheppard was beyond calling him a fa**ot. That was a pre meditated murder that was soley based on the fact that he was gay. I remember the case very well as well as the one with James Byrd who was dragged behind a pickup truck in Texas for being black. This law doesn't prohibit you from using any deragatory slurs but it does hold you accountable if you assault someone.

I am obviously not saying what happened to matt shepard was ok... obviously not.

Just saying that a guy can get in a fight with some random guy, and call him a ****** (which almost everyone does) and get into a hate crime because of that. when it was just an everyday fight

Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,674,761 times
If you want to get in a fight all you have to do is tell someone that you and your buddies have been porkin his wife. That will probably do it and keep the hate crime label off you. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:22 AM

20,350 posts, read 19,953,413 times
So if a non-white says "pass the crackers" in my presence do I have a chance to come into some serious coin if I can find a willing lawyer?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
Hate crimes bill goes to Obama for signature - CNN.com

So if you say fa*g*t to someone and have a fight it is a hate crime even if they arent gay

I dont think i have seen a fight happen where someone didnt call the other guy a fa**ot. That is what guys do.

ugh. Terrible law. so sick of this kind of garbage. Whatever happened to men being men?
Tis is the result of too many gays in congress. I am sick of the disturbed getting special rights. We are all entitled to EQUAL protections under the law, not special protections for the worst!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:17 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,801 times
Quote:

That is a lie and has been refuted. He was a dumb guy who left a bar with two comlete strangers that wanted to rob him.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,226,903 times
Stay safe from legislation like this.
Only murder people you like and respect.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 AM

9,781 posts, read 11,184,206 times
I happen to be a disabled female gay black women that is grossly overweight and I am Muslim. After this Bill passes, I am going to school to become a Lawyer because I will only need one client; me!

Watch your P's and Q's "Honk_y's" (I can say that and it isn't a hate crime)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies