Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
So what are you gonna do about it? You ready to revolt against the government or what? If you aren't ready for that, then sit down and accept what's happening.

Unless we revolt against the government and bring a real change, taxing the rich is the only way.

But then again, the rich will just continue to find tax loopholes anyway. The entire tax law needs to be re-written
So wait -- you belive our only two options are to tax the rich more, or revolt?

Sorry, I don't argue false dilemmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think people defend the obscenely rich for this reason:

"[C]apitalist demagogues the world over (not just in the US) have managed to convince everyone else that the common person has just enough of a chance to become rich that it is in everyone’s interest to let the currently rich do what they want. After all, if you raise taxes on them, some day you may join the ranks of the high society and have to pay those same taxes."

Michael Moore's Capitalism, a Love Story | Psychology Today
Please define 'obscenely wealthy'. I dispute the notion it even exists. And while you're at it why not also detail who gets to define 'obscenely wealthy'.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So wait -- you belive our only two options are to tax the rich more, or revolt?

Sorry, I don't argue false dilemmas.
You aren't explaining yourself either.

You said you want to minimize the power of the federal government. Well, HOW is that going to happen? It will never happen unless there is a major revolution.

You tell me. How else can it be accomplished.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Here's a few explanations to consider:

Many people don't accept the premise that you're greedy if you think giving up half your income is plenty enough even if you're rich;

The U.S. has a high rate of class mobility, meaning theoretically any of us have a shot at getting rich
theoretically true
Quote:
and we don't want the government waiting to put their foot in our ass if we get there;
no, this doesnt follow as the night the day. And how many rich people do you know who dont have at least one tax advisor? Warren Buffett pays less than 20% taxes.

Quote:
We don't want to kill the geese that lay the golden eggs -- i.e., people fundamentally understand what happens when you destroy the incentive to produce.
Taxes dont destroy the incentive to produce. People who want to succeed are pretty much going to create and produce no matter what. If money for its own sake is the reason a person "produces", such a person is going to be be sure he's well protected from high tax rates.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Please define 'obscenely wealthy'. I dispute the notion it even exists. And while you're at it why not also detail who gets to define 'obscenely wealthy'.
He's probably talking about people who are worth a hundred million dollars or more. Something like that.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
You said you want to minimize the power of the federal government.
Oh. Did I? Remind me where I did that again?

Quote:
Well, HOW is that going to happen? It will never happen unless there is a major revolution.

You tell me. How else can it be accomplished.
I can tell you this much: it won't happen by increasing taxes on a narrow segment of society.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
The rich are already taxed enough. All that needs to be done is to get rid of the tax loopholes and make the Democrats pay their taxes. The Democrats in congress don't pay their taxes at all until caught and some not even then.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Anyone can define it. I define it this way: Citigroup spelled it out in 2006: the top 1% fears "one person -- one vote"

Citigroup Mar 5 2006 Plutonomy Report Part 2

Old 10-27-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
theoretically true
no, this doesnt follow as the night the day. And how many rich people do you know who dont have at least one tax advisor? Warren Buffett pays less than 20% taxes.

Taxes dont destroy the incentive to produce. People who want to succeed are pretty much going to create and produce no matter what. If money for its own sake is the reason a person "produces", such a person is going to be be sure he's well protected from high tax rates.
So wait -- on the one hand you acknowledge that people seek to taxation and on the other you believe it has no affect on productivity? If the rate of taxation has no effect on productivity then why would anyone bother trying to minimize their tax burden?

Answer: because taxation effects productivity and the producers are trying to maximize their productivity by minimizing their tax burden.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
So wait -- on the one hand you acknowledge that people seek to avoid taxation and on the other you believe it has no affect on productivity?
Right, they're two different things. No one at any income level wants to pay taxes.

Quote:
If the rate of taxation no effect on production then why would anyone bother trying to minimize their tax burden?
Will you stop producing if you have to pay a higher household tax rate? Wouldnt you just get a better tax advisor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies