Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,041,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is why I said that I volunteer when I can...geez doesnt anybody listen?

BTW..my relationship with Christ is excellent..I feel as though Im a very blessed, but flawed, person so far. I fully expect that God will continue to answer my prayers and keep me and my loved ones out of harms way.
You should read the parable of the Good Samaritan found in Luke 10:25-37.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:26 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You should read the parable of the Good Samaritan found in Luke 10:25-37.
Been there done that...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:34 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The "moral" thing to do is to mind one's own business. Nosy people are immoral.
Just curious, but what is your opinion about military service, conscription or non-conscription, as for your position?

I am curious about same with Chatteress and solytaire.

More simply, would you join a gang that interferes with other nations' problems?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,394,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I noticed that too - I am very curious what that will entail, as respect and civility mean different things to different people. I tend to agree with you about doing character development at home not school, although it seems like there are some kids who aren't getting it anywhere.
Yeah, I know but most of the kids in the video seemed to credit their upbringing for their character development so I just don't see how the school is going to add that into the curriculum. Personally, I think it’s as sad thing when we have to depend on educators to teach our children how to behave.

And you know what, looking at the area where this happened I can’t imagine why security wouldn’t have been patrolling there. I’m sure they didn’t expect a rape to be going on but everyone knows that the best spots for mischief are the ones that aren’t very visible. I don’t think I’ve ever attended a school event where they wasn’t at least one person trying to drink or smoke.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah, I know but most of the kids in the video seemed to credit their upbringing for their character development so I just don't see how the school is going to add that into the curriculum. Personally, I think it’s as sad thing when we have to depend on educators to teach our children how to behave.

And you know what, looking at the area where this happened I can’t imagine why security wouldn’t have been patrolling there. I’m sure they didn’t expect a rape to be going on but everyone knows that the best spots for mischief are the ones that aren’t very visible. I don’t think I’ve ever attended a school event where they wasn’t at least one person trying to drink or smoke.
I agree with you re: character development - even if this were the most comprehensive class in the universe, I'm of the opinion that an hour a week isn't going to do much to combat daily influences, if that makes sense. I also agree re: not leaving it to educators to teach our children how to behave. I guess the school knows it needs to try to do something and this is what it came up with.....

I question why there was no security patrolling the area of the attack too. It seems like it would be a prime spot to monitor.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Just curious, but what is your opinion about military service, conscription or non-conscription, as for your position?

I am curious about same with Chatteress and solytaire.

More simply, would you join a gang that interferes with other nations' problems?
Good question...I have repeatedly expressed discontent with this nation's role in foreign affairs. Its pretty apparent that to me that even the U.S. has adopted this attitude of playing hero, under the auspices of being "compassionate"... alot of innocent people have died and been exploited, a lot of land imperialized.

To answer your question directly, I think we are way too nosy as a nation. And whats even worse is that we often, as a nation, use our "compassionate" ideology as a proxy for our greed.

However, I am thankful to military service people who feel compelled to fight on my behalf. That is commendable..But since we do have a volunteer Armed Forces, clearly I havent felt compelled to do the same for the well being of others.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

I question why there was no security patrolling the area of the attack too. It seems like it would be a prime spot to monitor.
Why would it be a prime spot to monitor? Because of the type of neighborhood? Wouldn't that be racial profiling and so against the rules? They would have to monitor a white suburban school just as much or they should not monitor at all. Or would you?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why would it be a prime spot to monitor? Because of the type of neighborhood? Wouldn't that be racial profiling and so against the rules? They would have to monitor a white suburban school just as much or they should not monitor at all. Or would you?
What does that have to do with racial profiling?

It's a prime spot to monitor because the kids are aware that it's out of the way and dimly lit and areas like that are where kids go when they want to avoid teachers. I think every school has one and usually the teachers know about it and they monitor it.

In my high school it was the behind the gym...there was a little staircase that led to the storage room and you couldn't see people sitting on the staircase unless you walked out the way right up to it. That's where kids would hang out and smoke when they were skipping class.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What does that have to do with racial profiling?

It's a prime spot to monitor because the kids are aware that it's out of the way and dimly lit and areas like that are where kids go when they want to avoid teachers. I think every school has one and usually the teachers know about it and they monitor it.

In my high school it was the behind the gym...there was a little staircase that led to the storage room and you couldn't see people sitting on the staircase unless you walked out the way right up to it. That's where kids would hang out and smoke when they were skipping class.
In my high school, at the dances the chaperones stayed inside the building, I never saw a security guard in or outside the buildings. Maybe it is racial profiling to say "certain" neighborhoods should have better monitoring of high school and dances than others.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In my high school, at the dances the chaperones stayed inside the building, I never saw a security guard in or outside the buildings. Maybe it is racial profiling to say "certain" neighborhoods should have better monitoring of high school and dances than others.
I don't see what racial profiling has to do with anything.

My high school was in a nice area and our chaperones patrolled the grounds regularly; they also monitored the parked campus parking lots. We called our security guards "resource officers" but it was the same thing.

It's just a safety precaution. All schools should have safety precautions regardless of the racial makeup of the students or the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies