Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times

Advertisements

Who will I be hoping wins? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Who will I be hoping wins? And why?
It doesn't matter who wins. The way terrorists are painted, you will hate whoever we 'elect'. You will hate the winner who says we must destroy you. You will hate the winner who says you don't exist. But, the sane amongst us know already that you are a boogeyman, a figment of our collective imaginations, a media construct designed to ignite the masses to support war and defense spending. Anyone who might oppose us is labelled a terrorist just to keep the illusion alive. This way, America will always have its 'terrorists'. So, whoever wins won't matter...unless the winner insists on being honest and, finally, telling us the truth.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
What an idiotic thread - with all due respect. No president will ever show any mercy to a terrorist - end of story. So your question has no merit whatsoever.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
you don't exist. But, the sane amongst us know already that you are a boogeyman, a figment of our collective imaginations, a media construct designed to ignite the masses to support war and defense spending. .

You mean the homicide bombings, the plots to bomb, the beheadings, the thousands seen on TV shouting death to those who insult whomever (can I say whomever without a death threat?), the hateful cartoons shown to children and so on and so on and so on are imaginary? Kind of like the moon landing or the "the WTC was an inside job"?

Even Rove and the VRWC aren't that good.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
What an idiotic thread - with all due respect.
There's no respect due...and if ya dress up a pig, it's still a pig. It's impossible to use those two statements in the same sentence. Nice try though.

Quote:
No president will ever show any mercy to a terrorist - end of story.
I didn't ask that. Sorry I confused you with my lengthy post.

I genuinely would like some intelligent input on this subject. If I'm a terrorist sitting in either America or abroad, I would think one of the parties and/or candidates would have more attractive policies regarding the things that concern me. Maybe I'm wrong. I was just watching the world news last night and the thought crossed my mind of what I would think if I watched the news and I was a foreign(or domestic, for that matter) terrorist.

Quote:
So your question has no merit whatsoever.
To you....and exactly who twisted your arm to post?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
It doesn't matter who wins. The way terrorists are painted, you will hate whoever we 'elect'. You will hate the winner who says we must destroy you. You will hate the winner who says you don't exist. But, the sane amongst us know already that you are a boogeyman, a figment of our collective imaginations, a media construct designed to ignite the masses to support war and defense spending. Anyone who might oppose us is labelled a terrorist just to keep the illusion alive. This way, America will always have its 'terrorists'. So, whoever wins won't matter...unless the winner insists on being honest and, finally, telling us the truth.
That's good mhouse. So are you saying that whoever wins, the face of the terrorist just changes?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:40 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,814 times
I say Barak Obama because he has openly stated that all semi-automatic guns be made illegal. The desire there is to effectively disarm American citizens, combine that with the fact that in a late April presidential debate he really had no stance and nothing to say when asked about how he would defend the Nation against a terrorist attack. Quite simply he had given absolutely no thought to one of the most important issues and threats this country is facing. If I were a terrorist I would want a president who both supported the idea of making sure no American citizen had any ability to defend themself or those around them and had no idea how to defend the nation against my attacks. That would create total chaos, panick, and fear which is my goal - if I were in fact a terrorist, which I am not.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I say Barak Obama because he has openly stated that all semi-automatic guns be made illegal. The desire there is to effectively disarm American citizens, combine that with the fact that in a late April presidential debate he really had no stance and nothing to say when asked about how he would defend the Nation against a terrorist attack. Quite simply he had given absolutely no thought to one of the most important issues and threats this country is facing. If I were a terrorist I would want a president who both supported the idea of making sure no American citizen had any ability to defend themself or those around them and had no idea how to defend the nation against my attacks. That would create total chaos, panick, and fear which is my goal - if I were in fact a terrorist, which I am not.
Thanks BrittZ, somehow, I didn't think you were a terrorist.

Good points you bring up.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
As long as partisanship trumps sound decision making, as it seems to be on both sides of the aisle, we're all screwed.

Any honest objectivity will be thrown out the window when politics is in the drivers seat.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:08 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,657 times
Quote:
What an idiotic thread - with all due respect. No president will ever show any mercy to a terrorist - end of story. So your question has no merit whatsoever.
Funny, because I feel that the above-quoted comment is the only "idiotic" thing about this thread so far. Alpha raises a very interesting question. Unfortunately, the above-quoted answer to his question has nothing to do with the actual question he asked. Alpha did not inquire as to which President would show mercy to a terrorist. In fact, the question had absolutely nothing to do with anyone showing mercy to anyone. Maybe *someone* should attempt to actually read and understand the question before giving a rude, yet ineffectual, answer in an attempt to censure the original poster.

Anywho...

I agree with brittZ. During the first Democratic candidate debate a couple weeks ago, Obama seemed as though he had never contemplated the idea of another terrorist attack against America, or what course of action he might take as President to defend the country. "What? A terrorist attack? Well, gosh, I dunno..."

He was very weak and unconvincing in his response regarding terrorism. As for his beliefs regarding the 2nd Amendment, I won't comment, since I have a different view from brittZ, and I'm pretty sure that Alpha doesn't want his thread turned into a gun rights debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies