Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,951,261 times

Advertisements

There's a bunch of talk about the recession being over. I caution. When we bring Detroit and California's unemployment out of double-digits, that's when we should celebrate. I think it is a bit premature at the moment. Meanwhile, twice as many Californians lost jobs in one week in October than put to work in nine months by the “stimulus”.

Linky Thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:32 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Actually, the number of jobs reported as saved/created in California is over 110,000...not the 2,260 claimed by the dunce who wrote that authoritative message board post...

Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,900,902 times
Well, I'm a Californian and I lost my job today...so much for my recession being over - mine's just begun.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
What don't people understand about employment being the last indicator to recover?

What don't people understand about stimuli never intending to keep up with the market, but rather to decrease its impact?

Seriously, folks.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually, the number of jobs reported as saved/created in California is over 110,000...not the 2,260 claimed by the dunce who wrote that authoritative message board post...
Saved/Created is pathetic math. Here is why:

The White House asked stimulus recepients to count "saved or created" jobs by simply stating: If any employee's salary is paid, in whole or in part (any part!), count that as a job "saved or created" by the stimulus spending.

If a single dollar of Spendulus was spent on an employee's salary, whether that employee was a new employee or an old one, that gets counted as a job "saved or created." If he's a new employee, that job was created. If he's an existing employee, that job was saved.

There was report about that Florida day care center that claimed Spendulus money "saved or created" 129 jobs when in fact the money they got was simply used to give all existing employees raises.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:39 PM

555 posts, read 2,213,552 times
The jobs saved are only saved for a short time, like to the end of the year's fiscal budget. Without a strong economy, a new wave of unemployed workers will occur as soon as the money runs out. And with no one left in the world who would be willing to keep lending us money, get ready for another spike in the recession. If obama was timing this right, he would have waited, cause by the time he is up for reelection, the stimulus money will be history as well as the jobs he "saved".

Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What don't people understand about employment being the last indicator to recover?
I do understand this. However, if the recession is over but the economy does little to improve the unemployment situation and double digit unemployment becomes the Obama standard, it really doesn't matter then. So I say, let's start celebrating when the jobs return.

Sorry to hear that Cricket.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:44 PM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Well, I'm a Californian and I lost my job today...so much for my recession being over - mine's just begun.
We should fire this government and give you their job!

I'm so sorry and hope soon you will be back on your feet

The sooner this government is out the sooner the economy will recover by it self...not by putting health care reform which is only a tax bill and tax credits for home buyers....if you can't afford the extra $ 8 K you shouldn't be able to buy that home but a cheaper home....printing extra money isn't helping the economy, just helping fraud being bigger than ever!

Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Better vote for Republicans. They know how to solve all of our problems. Look how well things went while Bush was president and while Schwarzenegger has been governor.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I do understand this. However, if the recession is over but the economy does little to improve the unemployment situation and double digit unemployment becomes the Obama standard, it really doesn't matter then. So I say, let's start celebrating when the jobs return.

Sorry to hear that Cricket.
No one's celebrating. But we can be happy that things are turning in the right direction. Unemployment peaked over 2 years into Reagan's presidency, but he still is widely credited with fixing the economy for policies he enacted in his first year.

Give it time and let's all stop celebrating everytime the dow dips just to score political points for our side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies