Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 AM

403 posts, read 535,014 times

Advertisements

we need more jobs. how are we going to afford healthcare when we dont have jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
The principle of it does but since 'we' will not refuse to treat that young healthy person who 'never goes to a doctor' after he gets into an auto accident or has an anuerism, it's a different story.
It's one case in which, even if you won't buy it you can have it anyway.
Very,very few people go throughout their lives without needing expensive medical care at some point.
Will some pay more in premiums than they use? Sure. But unless it can be predicted who will and who won't, the risk needs to be spread....the very concept of insurance.

Unless the day comes that uninsured Charlie is left mangled and bleeding on the roadside with only a phone call to his parents to come pick him up or uninsured Sarah is refused admittance to the ER with her 104 degree child or unless the resultant bills can't be wiped out in bankrupsty court, there's little choice to the financial welfare of the rest of us.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Yes, I'm opposed. I don't currently have health insurance because I don't want it.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Rather than have government forced insurance I would rather see government sponsored clinics run out of teaching hospitals and satellite clinics in rural areas staffed by medical students supervised by doctors. A doctors education subsidized or paid education program by the government requiring a few years of service to these clinics. These clinics would be free to all.

This medical insurance issue has demonstrated the lack of understanding our elected officials truly have when it comes to the finances of the American people. Pres. Obama constanting makes the statement, "affordable for everyone." He, and many other like him, do not understand that there are many young mothers trying to raise a child working two and three part time jobs. Her paychecks may total $300 a week but her expenses are $350 a week. Obama please get your head out of your ass! $.50 is not affordable to this woman, $.25 in not affordable, and to talk about placing fines on people who can't pay is nothing less than outrageous! We have a government run by lawyers and controlled by the wealthy. Is it any wonder they don't understand.
Pick up any phone book and compare the amount of lawyers to physicians. The lawyer section is at least twice that of the doctors. Our country is suppose to be for the people by the people, but instead has become for the rich and by the attorneys.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:00 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
- Forget about the current healthcare proposals floating around Congress.

- Forget about why Congress feels an "individual mandate" is necessary in order to make healthcare reform work.

- Forget about the cost of having insurance vs. not having insurance.

Dig deeper than that and ask yourself: Do I really like the principle of my government FORCING me to buy health insurance?

At what point did this nation convert from a country that promotes individual liberty to a country that mandates conformance with government policy by virtue of merely being a citizen, even if you disagree with that policy?
I have no problem with this. the need for health care is inevitable. Be it injury or sickness. ER's are required by law to treat anyone who comes in. Lots of money lost on people coming in and no insurance and states refuse to pay, or take forever to pay. Are we going to change that law? Are physicians going to make sure patients can pay before they treat them? Or are physicians going to treat people without getting paid and people take advantage. Whats going to happen to people who get into traffic accidents and no insurance?

Also, in my own personal life, I've gotten sick and refused to go when I haven't had insurance, due to lack of money. If these had been serious illnesses 1) I'm a walking infection, contaminating people around me, and 2) I'm making overall treatment more expensive if I allow something to progress. Its a simple truth, if you have something wrong, it is easier and cheaper to go in early on, vs. waiting and letting it get worse, and a lack of money makes people procrastinate on getting treatment.

I would be fine with not requiring this, and giving Americans a tax cut, except for this general truth. Americans can't save money. If you give people more money in their paychecks, their landlords will slowly increase rent, or the prices of goods will cost more because those selling the goods and renting the places out know they can make more money off of people.

I understand your ideals about not forcing people to do something. But the reality of how things are I think trumps this. Change our culture so people save more money, or allow ER's to refuse treatment to those who cannot pay and maybe I'll get on board with your ideas.

I also support a public option, at least to cover primary care, screenings, and injuries. Again, just more common sense. Treat things early, when they're cheaper to treat, and don't make people afraid to get treatment because of a lack of $$$.

My principle, is public health over one individual walking around infecting people because he's too cheap to go get treated and has no insurance.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:09 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm mixed on this. I don't believe the government should force people to buy something as expensive as health insurance if those individuals don't desire it. However, as a physician, I have first hand experience with uninsured people going to the ER when they are ill for non-critical health issues. So in essence I feel people are cheating the system and choose not to get health insurance knowing that they can use the ER if they really need health care.
that door swings both ways. the government will also be cheating people, forcing them to pay for insurance when they may NEVER need to use it. who is the beneficiary- the insurance companies, of course, since insurance is a FOR PROFIT mechanism.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Compulsory health insurance is an attack on the right to act in one's own judgment along with entering voluntary into contracts.

What's next? Government mandating our eating, sleeping, and exercise habits in order to optimize our health?
The difference is, if you're contagious and have no insurance, you can infect a lot of other people. Public health benefits in the idea of compulsory health insurance. If you're irresponsible, others can pay the price. Plain and simple.

The second part only affects the individual. You want to screw up your body by not sleeping enough, exercising enough and eating crap, thats your choice and it doesn't affect your neighbors/coworkers etc.

However I am in favor of government making sure wages are enough so an individual can afford healthy foods, and has enough time to exercise and get enough sleep. Make sure people have a choice. I see far to many people working excessively long hours and eating cheap crap because rents are too high.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that door swings both ways. the government will also be cheating people, forcing them to pay for insurance when they may NEVER need to use it. who is the beneficiary- the insurance companies, of course, since insurance is a FOR PROFIT mechanism.
Unless you have an accident that kills you at a young age, odds are people are going to need insurance and health care. If you know someone who has never been sick or injured in their life, I have a bridge over the Grand Canyon for sale.

As a future provider, I think there should be no third party profits off of the physician patient relationship. Nor should anyone dictate to a doctor recommendations for treatment because of a patients ability to pay.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
simple solution

GET RID OF ALL TYPES OF INSURANCE

remember INSURANCE IS NOT CARE

why pay an insurance company (middleman) when you can pay the doctor directly

everyone already has health care.....just open up the yellow pages and look for a doctor....millions out there.....then go

Old 10-29-2009, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
He, and many other like him, do not understand that there are many young mothers trying to raise a child working two and three part time jobs. Her paychecks may total $300 a week but her expenses are $350 a week. Obama please get your head out of your ass! $.50 is not affordable to this woman, $.25 in not affordable, and to talk about placing fines on people who can't pay is nothing less than outrageous! We have a government run by lawyers and controlled by the wealthy. Is it any wonder they don't understand.
The husbands certainly should be also working and helping but also the decision to have children does not mean someone should not be responsible for them and themselves. People need to marry and start families AFTER they have figured out a way to support a family.

Yes these young mothers need insurance but who is supposed to pay for it? And breeding like stray cats should not be a way to mooch off others permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies