Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
even if you're right, and american companies are mostly responsible for inventing the lions-share of the drugs on the market (btw, many american invented drugs are still manufactured overseas anyway) then tell me why americans are routinely paying b/t 30 and 60% more for the exact same meds than Canadians and many europeans and australians are???????? Why is Zetia $3 / pill in the US with no generic available and $1/pill in Canada with generic available. The reason is because the US system allows for price gouging of the american consumer.
the Oz/Canadian & euro governments heavily subsidizes drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Well 1990 pages of bureaucracy in a house bill aint fixin anything?

Why are we discussing the US health care system in the Australia and New Zealand forum anyways?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
If you look at the top medical centers and who comes there for seriopus surgery from foreign conutries that tells alot also. Afterall ;you can go to mexico and have all the treatment you want cheaper. Buit at the same time dentist and doctors still go to mexico to do volunterr work very year for free because the people there can no0t afford it so often. its takes funding to do 70% of the mnedaicl reaserch including medcines in the world.Many epope however want to joi a insurance at teh time they need surgery or other high cosy medciaol and noinsurnace which is a pool woirks that way.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
the Oz/Canadian & euro governments heavily subsidizes drugs.
Yes, in a lot of cases drugs are free to patients in countries which have universal health care, but the governments make sure they are not getting overcharged by drug companies by having only one buying agency who make the drug companies compete on price.
Of course one drug company did state it would take the government to court, only one problem with that, parliament is the highest court in the land and can pass what ever laws it likes, the will of the peoples representatives etc.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You can always find an example that can make any system in the world look bad. I can counter by telling you that there are many cases like this lady that were resolved under our system. I can also tell yo that there are people from so many countries that fly to our country to take care of their problems. Canadians do cross the border to us to take care of their problems.

I will venture to guess you post this because you have a biased on our medical system.

There are many examples like her that someone simply did further research and found programs whether they be government or non-profit organizations that have helped.

To make sure my words are not spinned, I am not saying we have the best system in the world, we may not, we may need to improve it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Yes, we can always find an example that will make our health care system in the U.S. look bad; it's because it IS bad. I'm sorry, but companies, employees and self-employed pay their premiums faithfully for years and then when it's time to actually use the benefits, they are either cut-off, denied, or just cancelled - period.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
why don't the insular american'ts who responded deal with the pertinent question raised by the OP?

there is no reason on earth why a surgery needs to be twice as expensive, well, actually the surgery is even more inexpensive since the cost of half is also including flight down etc.

do you american'ts actually think the care you're getting is twice as good? do you really think New Zealand is some 3rd world backwater?

do you guys realise all prescriptions in England are about $12? name brand, generic, whatever they're for, heart meds, cancer meds, blood meds, they're all $12 dollars. Here I just spent $122 on inhaler , couldn't get another prescription filled as that was only $237 for a one month supply.

right now there are dozens of meds available in Canada and Europe in generic form, these same meds are not going to be available in generic form in the US for 3-6 years. It's time to wake up and stop defending the corporations. And Mr. Hope and Change isn't any better, he just met behind closed doors with the pharmacutical industry and extended the patent protection time from 7 years to 12. How is this going to lessen the cost of meds in amerika?

most of our problems come from the government itself. specificly the FDA

what type of inhaler,,you can get the generic abuteral inhaler here in the USA for about $4,,,,on the other hand if it is like 'pro-air' it is currently very expenstive because the FDA wont allow a generic to be made (the give the initial manufacturer (ie brandname) the rights to it for 5 years before a generic can be made, then the original has first dibs on the generic...

plus here in the USA the government REGULATES what can be used...ie """They have traditionally used chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) to “propel” the albuterol into the lungs. But now, , hydroflouroalkane (HFA), has been created to replace CFCs, and will become the required standard for all inhalers starting in 2009."""

I reciently had back surgery (was injured in Iraq back in 2003) when I got home in 2003 here in the USA we were still doing "fusing" of the vertibra,,,in europe that have been doing actualy DISC REPLACEMENT for the last 25 years...finally in November of 2004 the FDA allowed for "testing" the the replacement surgery....I had my disc replaced in Jan 2007, feel 10 years younger

OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM is the government

Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,261 times
I doubt very few people understand just how much goes into the final cost of any product. Anyone who says "an inhaler should just cost a few bucks" has never owned or operated a business. It is an ignorant and uninformed statement.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
How obscene only 1 Ozzie hospital made it to this top 100 World Hospital rankings and 1 more made it in the 100-200 range. I thought Aussie hospitals would be better represented. Of course, no kiwi hospital made it in top 200.

World Hospitals' ranking on the Web: Top 1000 World Ranking (http://hospitals.webometrics.info/top1000.asp?offset=0 - broken link)

Obscene American hospitals dominate the list.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Yes, we can always find an example that will make our health care system in the U.S. look bad; it's because it IS bad. I'm sorry, but companies, employees and self-employed pay their premiums faithfully for years and then when it's time to actually use the benefits, they are either cut-off, denied, or just cancelled - period.
And just as there are bad examples you provide there are lots of examples where people do benefit.

I do not think it is bad as you claim. I will say the system has flaws, nothing is perfect so we can improve it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I doubt very few people understand just how much goes into the final cost of any product. Anyone who says "an inhaler should just cost a few bucks" has never owned or operated a business. It is an ignorant and uninformed statement.
Ditto to that!!!!

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies