Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 AM

432 posts, read 605,652 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why a lot of people think it's OK for kids to go to school for 7 hours a day when about 5 of the hours could be cut out completely if they actually had efficient teachers and course work.

Much of the day is wasted on busy work and the sound of teachers hearing their own voice while kids daydream and wish they were doing something productive.

I believe that a day should look more like this for the average kid that is between the ages of 10 and 18..

Schooling: 3 hours a day
Homework/studying (learning themselves): 2-4 hours a day
Actual Work: 2-6 hours a day
Sports: .5-4 hours a day
Free time: 2-6 hours a day

(this itinerary would be good for the average kid, different itineraries would apply for obvious exceptions)

This would actually produce well rounded kids, instead of the stuff public education is outputting these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,428,303 times
Your system depends way too much on the kids' own discipline and involvement from parents. Good luck...lol!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Everyone I know went to school with an 8 hour day, and longer with after school activities.

Most of us turn out allright, so I see no problem with the current system. People are busy today, for whatever reason. Parents can't make it on a single income anymore. If both parents are working, then there is little time to take little Jr. or Sally home earlier, and watch over them to make sure they are studying. Therefore we pay teachers to do this, during study times at school.

I find it amazing that my child in Kindergarten has a full day. It really blew my mind when they first told me he would have an 8 hour day, with no nap. However, children today are expected to do more in the education department, so I guess this is the way things are going to.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 AM

I think the 'can't make it on one income' myth was drummed up by the ad companies who are only interested in selling you more crap that has suddenly become 'necessary.'

You know, the system the op proposes is basically like a college class schedule. If college-aged kids are barely mature enough to do it successfully, I don't see most 10 year-olds making it.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, the system the op proposes is basically like a college class schedule. If college-aged kids are barely mature enough to do it successfully, I don't see most 10 year-olds making it.

Well, what are the reasons why many college kids are still immature?

I believe the premise that you learn the most while you're young. We do not teach kids how to be mature. Our society does not expect anything of them.

I believe they can still have fun while learning and becoming mature. It seems like people think that their immaturity is what makes them have fun , I guess..

So yea, we should teach them sooner about maturity, by giving them more responsibility.

Just throwing kids into a building that feels like a jail for most of them is not teaching maturity.

Jails do not rehabilitate inmates, and public schools do not create well rounded citizens.. but rather good sheeple I guess..

Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 AM

I don't disagree with what you are saying about our kids not living up to their potential. But the reason they are not is because of the lousy parenting going on these days. I can't tell you how many 3 and 4 year olds I see every day still in diapers, trophies being handed out to all participants, sports with no scores...parents are coddling children more and more and I have a hard time seeing these same parents pushing their kids to accept more responsibility for their own educations.

So while I agree in theory (bc I was one of those self-motivated kids and I know a few), I don't believe it will work in practice. Education just isn't important enough to the average american family.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,109,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
I don't understand why a lot of people think it's OK for kids to go to school for 7 hours a day when about 5 of the hours could be cut out completely if they actually had efficient teachers and course work.

Much of the day is wasted on busy work and the sound of teachers hearing their own voice while kids daydream and wish they were doing something productive.

I believe that a day should look more like this for the average kid that is between the ages of 10 and 18..

(this itinerary would be good for the average kid, different itineraries would apply for obvious exceptions)

This would actually produce well rounded kids, instead of the stuff public education is outputting these days.
Inefficient teachers.........can you do better with 30 kids to one of you, and kids going home to parents that aren't home from work or don't make the kids do the homework. Before you bash teachers (and I'll agree, not all are good), get with reality.

How many kids are going to study/learn themselves when they may not see the benefits for 10-20 years?

Love the ivory tower thinking going on here. Where does sleep fit in to your equation, and the idea that most kids need 9-10 hours of sleep?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Inefficient teachers.........can you do better with 30 kids to one of you, and kids going home to parents that aren't home from work or don't make the kids do the homework. Before you bash teachers (and I'll agree, not all are good), get with reality.

How many kids are going to study/learn themselves when they may not see the benefits for 10-20 years?

Love the ivory tower thinking going on here. Where does sleep fit in to your equation, and the idea that most kids need 9-10 hours of sleep?

thats why if you chop up the school day , it could bring the class size down 50-80%...

I bash teachers, b.c I've experienced many of them while I was in school.. starting with preschool, all the way through college... I would say only 5% of them were good/great ... Also, I've seen the videos of Union Teacher conferences where they make outrageous claims like "there is no such thing as a bad teacher" .. "give us raises now"

If you read my structure you'd notice that the min is like 9-10 hours a day, while many kids will use more time in areas they or their parents choose to bring it up to like 12-13 hours of school, homework, work, sports, free time, then they have the rest for sleep and eating and stuff.. for example, some kids will only spend 1/2 hour doing sports, while others spend 2 hours.. or some kids will do 4 hours of homework while others do only 2 hours.. it leaves room for flexibility and doesn't need to be the same day in and day out, which is nice..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Quote:

Alert Arne Duncan immediately. If he doesn't go with your proposal, then replace him.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,060,976 times
Quote:

I say we put them to work in a sweatshop for 10 hours a day and pay them for the work they complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies