Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times

Advertisements

The older I get (I'm in my 30s now), the more conservative I get.

I read in the Wall Street Journal about how New Jersey property taxes are redistributed.

Paul Mulshine: Property Taxes Could Sink Chris Christie in New Jersey - WSJ.com

NJ has always had a strong Democratic base. After reading this article, I get on principal why the laws want to "help" urban schools achieve.

But I find it very unfair why homeowners in more affluent area need to pay even more property taxes in order to support underperforming urban schools. There's only so much you can help. You can't just continually keep on throwing millions of taxpayer money year in and year out to support schools that under perform.

So yes, we should help those less fortunate, pay extra in taxes. But at what point do we re-evaluate social democratic values that simply do not work Do we give it 5 years? 10 years? When does re-distrubtion of wealth stop?

I'm just mentioning one example of wealth redistribution here. But there are examples of so many other programs discussed on this board.

I've lived in Maryland, and at least most of my property taxes went to support my local home county. I would find it disturbing if my tax property dollars went continually year in and year out to poorly performing schools that show very little improvement. (grad rates, school achievement tests, etc). At some point, people need to take personal responsibility for themselves. And yes that includes the kids themselves. I knew about how taxes worked by the time I was 7 years old. I knew how the government runs by the time I was 14 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The older I get (I'm in my 30s now), the more conservative I get.

I read in the Wall Street Journal about how New Jersey property taxes are redistributed.

Paul Mulshine: Property Taxes Could Sink Chris Christie in New Jersey - WSJ.com

NJ has always had a strong Democratic base. After reading this article, I get on principal why the laws want to "help" urban schools achieve.

But I find it very unfair why homeowners in more affluent area need to pay even more property taxes in order to support underperforming urban schools. There's only so much you can help. You can't just continually keep on throwing millions of taxpayer money year in and year out to support schools that under perform.

So yes, we should help those less fortunate, pay extra in taxes. But at what point do we re-evaluate social democratic values that simply do not work Do we give it 5 years? 10 years? When does re-distrubtion of wealth stop?

I'm just mentioning one example of wealth redistribution here. But there are examples of so many other programs discussed on this board.

I've lived in Maryland, and at least most of my property taxes went to support my local home county. I would find it disturbing if my tax property dollars went continually year in and year out to poorly performing schools that show very little improvement. (grad rates, school achievement tests, etc). At some point, people need to take personal responsibility for themselves. And yes that includes the kids themselves. I knew about how taxes worked by the time I was 7 years old. I knew how the government runs by the time I was 14 years old.

Agreed. I think that most of liberal ideology is based on wishful fantasy and has little basis in reality. If we lived in a story book world, it would be great. However, in the real world, liberal philosophy fails miserably, as it precludes basic human desires and instincts, which are the desire for personal freedom and the right to bear the fruits of one's own labor. Both these concepts, which cannot be erradicated from humans, are contrary to socialst/liberal philosophy.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Personal accountability. What a concept.

If the parents of these poor inner city students don't care or take an active interest in their child's education, how can the child be expected to be serious? No sum of money can change that.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Democratic's ideas are good
I must disagree with your premise.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I must disagree with your premise.
Yes, my basic premise would be "Democratic ideas are crap, since they don't work, and, in the end, cause everyone to suffer."

Old 11-02-2009, 06:00 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Personal accountability. What a concept.

If the parents of these poor inner city students don't care or take an active interest in their child's education, how can the child be expected to be serious? No sum of money can change that.
Yes, we could distribute $1 million to each family, and sit back while they blow it. It would go into expensive clothes, expensive cars, expensive lifestyles, and little true investment into the future.

It's been done over and over..............with lottery winnings, professional sports contracts, wasted tax "investments"................................. ....

And the irony is that government programs and schools blow it even faster.......

Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Very true , Democratic ideas are usually good but ofter flawed in execution.
Republic ideas are uniformly bad and are usually well executed.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
I live in NJ and yes it has not worked so far, hence why the Governor's race is so close here. People are fed up with paying the highest property taxes in the nation and getting squat back. Even though I pay property taxes I still have to send in tissues, wipes, hand soap and other stuff for my kids classrooms because they are trying to save money. sorry but that is ridiculous. Something needs to be done in this state. Corzine and the Dems need to go!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Very true , Democratic ideas are usually good but ofter flawed in execution.
Republic ideas are uniformly bad and are usually well executed.
Actually I think the OP showed your "theory" is indeed opposite of reality.

The Democrats indeed created a plan to increase taxes to help "the poor" and this plan was executed perfectly. Its the outcome that is flawed.

I do find it funny though that your statement confirms the OP's point. Democrats make all kinds of nice sounding statements, but indeed when one looks at the facts and reality, its just wrong, and your statement indeed is just another example..

Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Bascially the democrats practice more rethoric. The real problem is they don't know how to do what they say and never think about the consequences on other things. that is Obamas really problems ;he has numerous epople in the house palying leader and leaving him to support their policies not his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies