Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
'I'm sorry, but the majority of Americans supported this war once it began and, sadly, that majority must now sacrifice their children until enough blood has been let that maybe -- just maybe -- God and the Iraqi people will forgive us in the end.'

I never cared about Michael Moore (or his politcal views) either way, until he spouted this crap. And I wouldn't trust the motives of anyone who thinks this is OK.

If Cuba has the best health system, good for them. I'm sure that explains why many of Cuban citizens want out of there.

Going to Cuba to had nothing to do with highlighting the strengths of their healthcare system. Taking 9/11 heros had nothing to do with highlighting the Cuban healthcare system. It had everything to do with giving the one finger salute to the government.
Lets get this straight so all you right wing people who lack the intellect to understand can get it. The reason people want to leave Cuba is because of the EMBARGO THE USA PUTS ON THIS POOR COUNTRY. My god grow a brain, the reason why cuba has such great medical care is because Canada told the US to get stuffed and Canada is Cuba's #1 trading partner in both medical supplies and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I disagree.
I do not care for Moore's ambush interviews, out-of-context quotes and melodramatic stage settings.
But there were parts of "Bowling For Columbine" that were incisive and true, and can't be ignored. His point about America's culture of fear is right on.
Plus he actually can be downright funny at times.
I haven't read any of his books, though.
I am sure I will eventually see Sicko. Is the Cuba thing all for the publicity? Dunno, but I wouldn't put it past him.
Thats the thing, having part of the truth does not lead to the conclusions he makes and that is the entire point of his films. He fabricates data, shows people half-truths and then leads people to a conclusion. There is NOTHING worthy of his work other than as you pointed out, comedic approach. Anything past that is foolish propaganda for the sheep.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
who the hell cares about this talentless idiot michael moore. let's ship him to cuba. does anyone else see the irony in the fact that a 700lb man wants to be the face of health care in this country?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Mr. Moore and his entourage were not privy to the health care regular Cubans receive (the ones covered by Cuba's superior health care system).

See here for an idea of what he missed out on:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
Why do supposedly intelligent, well-educated folks refuse to look at the 'facts on the ground'? Instead, there's lots of bluster and the inevitable deluge of insults. For one's own good and the good of our country, doesn't it make more sense to open one's mind to the possibility that at least *some* of what Michael Moore says might be true?

We live with an 'entertainment' media today - To get info across to the general public (he's not an NGO so has to see a financial return), the presentation can't be dry, it has to be entertaining (and often amusing)! If MM's films were simply dry documentaries, few would watch them. He's conveyed some very important messages in his films *for* his fellow Americans, messages that are born out by emerging facts on the ground; that is if you don't close your mind and eyes to what's being said.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Moore's going to blow an aneurysm soon, anyway. That'll make one fewer selective self-righteousness liar polluting the public discourse.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:19 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
why would anyone listen to a 700 lb blimp about health care? you live with an "entertainment media" but I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
Why do supposedly intelligent, well-educated folks refuse to look at the 'facts on the ground'? Instead, there's lots of bluster and the inevitable deluge of insults. For one's own good and the good of our country, doesn't it make more sense to open one's mind to the possibility that at least *some* of what Michael Moore says might be true?

We live with an 'entertainment' media today - To get info across to the general public (he's not an NGO so has to see a financial return), the presentation can't be dry, it has to be entertaining (and often amusing)! If MM's films were simply dry documentaries, few would watch them. He's conveyed some very important messages in his films *for* his fellow Americans, messages that are born out by emerging facts on the ground; that is if you don't close your mind and eyes to what's being said.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbane View Post
Lets get this straight so all you right wing people who lack the intellect to understand can get it. The reason people want to leave Cuba is because of the EMBARGO THE USA PUTS ON THIS POOR COUNTRY. My god grow a brain, the reason why cuba has such great medical care is because Canada told the US to get stuffed and Canada is Cuba's #1 trading partner in both medical supplies and education.
People generally want out of Cuba because of the Communist regime, at least that's what my friends who moved here from Cuba say.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
A somewhat enlightened opinion, I would reckon, can be obtained by watching Moore's "expose" along with the many non-million dollar, unproduced, amateur videos above on youtube, and drawing one's own conclusions.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Ultra left-winger Michael Moore is being investigated by the U.S. Treasury Department for taking a trip to Cuba to film a segment of his film "Sicko." He took a group of ground-zero rescue workers there for treatment. He is in possible violation of the U.S. trade embargo with Cuba.
He has been accused of distorting the facts in his so-called documentaries. Recently former Republican Senator Fred Thompson. criticized Moore in a blog entry on The National Review Online.

Moore seems to revel in trying to make the current administration and our country look bad. But has he gone to far? Does he think he is above the law?
Michael Moore does for the left what Ann Coulter does for the right.
Anyone who takes Moore seriously and doesn't fully recognize he's making millions to promote leftist propaganda needs a grip on reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies