Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:23 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

With 1,200,000 abortions performed in the US in 2006, it isn't gong away, legal or not.

And few, if any, can really say that abortion in itself is really a good thing. Even if you don't believe it's taking a life, it's at the very least a medical procedure that costs money to our already bloated health care system.

So folks, what are your ideas about how we could reduce abortion without making it illegal???? They needen't be purely legislative solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Death penalty for abortion.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Playing by the rules of yoru post. Tax it. 100% tax above the price of the abortion. Tax the land of abortion clinics. Tax every part of it.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post

Old 11-02-2009, 01:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
With 1,200,000 abortions performed in the US in 2006, it isn't gong away, legal or not.

And few, if any, can really say that abortion in itself is really a good thing. Even if you don't believe it's taking a life, it's at the very least a medical procedure that costs money to our already bloated health care system.

So folks, what are your ideas about how we could reduce abortion without making it illegal???? They needen't be purely legislative solutions.

The only way that the number of unwanted pregnancies could go down is for people to be more responsible having sex. Of course there will be a few instances due to rape and other very unsuual circumstances but these are rare.

Basically, we have a growing segment of America that will always want to be irresponsible and want someone to be there to bail them out. The immoral practice of abortion will be there for those "people"

Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
gee how "pro life" of you. don't kill a fetus but go ahead and kill the woman who has an abortion. you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
gee how "pro life" of you. don't kill a fetus but go ahead and kill the woman who has an abortion. you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.
I know, makes perfect sense doesn't it? Makes them come off as quite the woman haters... death penalty for the man who got her pregnant? I mean, that would only be equal.....

Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I know, makes perfect sense doesn't it? Makes them come off as quite the woman haters... death penalty for the man who got her pregnant? I mean, that would only be equal.....
Good point. Get them both.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
There is no reason that there are over one million abortions performed in the US per year. None whatsoever. The problem stems from people either not using birth control or not using it correctly. Yes, I know that there is rape but c'mon ..... every woman I know who had an abortion did so because she didn't use birth control.

So, how to make this trend go the other way is the question. Ideally I would love to see birth control becoming more socially acceptable to talk about and to use. I would like to see it more widely available and made cheaper then dirt. I would like to see girl empowerment classes at the jr high level to get girls to understand that having sex doesn't 'prove' her love, and condoms don't 'hurt' thier boyfriends. I would like to see the morning after pill to be sold over the counter.

Yes, this wouldn't stop all abortions.....there will always be rape victims who were too afraid/ashamed to seek help right away or birth control failure, but at least the number of abortions will go down. Holding gory signs and calling pregnant teens 'murderers' certainly is doing nothing to help the situation. Nor is promoting 'abstinence only' sex ed. It's time for the anti abortion groups to get real and actually work to stop abortions. And hiding your heads in the sand regarding human sexuality is not doing the job, is it?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Good point. Get them both.
And the doctor too? Kill three people for every abortion?

I think you need a new term besides "pro-life" to describe yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies