Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
No Sanrene,... what I'm pointing out is that I don't agree with groups from out of State coming in to push their agenda on a State referendum vote. Groups such as NOM, the National Organization for Marriage which is based in the Mormom Church do not represent the constituents in this State. They put out ads that where filled with misinformation, ads that claimed there would be "gay indoctrination" in schools.
By the numbers, there was more out of state influence from the pro-homosexual side. And to begin with the legislature was heavily influenced by out of state groups when they passed it in the first place this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
[quote=arctichomesteader;11476958]Give me a break, you don't teach kindergarten aged kids about homosexuality, or any sexuality. Sexuality was never brought into the classroom when I went to school like that. Pure indoctrination, you can't cover that up.

Schools have been having young kids read books like Heather has Two Mommies and King & King, thinly veiled homosexual propaganda. A MA school's second grade class was read King & King.

Some examples of the sort of thing going on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's a book. Buy it, or don't.

Quote:
This is a proposed lesson plan for one day in one school district. If this is proposed in your school district, then oppose it.

Quote:
One teacher gave one student a book to read. Great example

By the way, the book gets excellent reviews:
http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=0671027344

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,003,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You are correct, so NOM shipped them in to campaign and fear-monger.
And how many were shipped in on the other side?

Obviously, they cannot vote.

With every defeat of gay marriage, the proponents always, predictably, blame "outsiders", spewing propaganda, poisoning the minds of voters as the reason WHY the measure gets slapped down.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Voters have clearly expressed their inherent discomfort with the unnatural notion of gay marriage.

They don't need outside influences to vote their morals and their conscience.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

15,877 posts, read 21,479,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Good post. Americans are getting tired of gays demanding the Church to accept them. If you want a legal contract that gives you some rights and protection most could accept that. Marriage - never.
If my atheist boyfriend and my agnostic self were to get married, we would get a MARRIAGE license. Not a civil union license- marriage. There is no church involved (only a slight possibility of a very reconstructionist Rabbi or a UU minister).

Gays are not demanding any church to accept them. As long as the state refers to marriage as such on state documents, then gays quite seriously have a claim for that title as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,532,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

It's a book. Buy it, or don't.

This is a proposed lesson plan for one day in one school district. If this is proposed in your school district, then oppose it.

One teacher gave one student a book to read. Great example

By the way, the book gets excellent reviews:
Powell's Books - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
You didn't read my first link. A teacher read that book to second graders. There was no option of simply not buying it.

Keep that filthy trash out of the schools. It has no place in the classroom. And that's the kind of thing turning people off the homosexual agenda strongly.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM

757 posts, read 803,920 times
These election results will eventually be struck down by the USSC. The majority can not deny equal rights to the minority. It is only a matter of time before the high court rules on these issues. If there is any justice in the land, gay people will be given the same EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW as every other person.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,401,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Maine and California are not full of bible thumpers. Your anger is misplaced - it belongs with the people on YOUR side of the aisle.
Actually Maine has a largely Religious population. The UPC (United Pentacostal Church being one of the more popular. We also have a pretty big Roman Catholic Church population in the Franco-Catholic areas. Maine has the oldest and whitest population of the States as well.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM

507 posts, read 679,165 times
I know exactly what's going to happen. In 20 or so years, everyone will look at the images, the events, and the news clipping, and they will say, "Exactly why were people obsessed with denying such basic rights to others? I don't get it." Then Oprah (or her equivalent) will have a former homophobe and some gay dude on her show, and they will sit together, and the former homophobe will cry and apologize for being such a jerk 20 or 30 years ago. Then they will both cry, and talk about how lucky they are the live in the current society.

They same thing happened after the civil rights movement (Oprah had a similar episode), and the same thing will happen again. What I don't understand is why we can't be more forward thinking. Clearly, this is all moving in one direction. Gay people will eventually have these rights; this issue is not going away, and neither are gay people. People are coming out younger and prouder, and the older generation that is mostly against this will die. You can either choose to be ahead of the wave or get crushed by it, but these changes are inevitable.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And how many were shipped in on the other side?

Obviously, they cannot vote.

With every defeat of gay marriage, the proponents always, predictably, blame "outsiders", spewing propaganda, poisoning the minds of voters as the reason WHY the measure gets slapped down.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Voters have clearly expressed their inherent discomfort with the unnatural notion of gay marriage.

They don't need outside influences to vote their morals and their conscience.
If NOM had shipped in people who's "agenda" was to push their belief that marriage should remain between a man and a woman, I would have no problem with it. They did not do that. They instead stooped to fearmongering. Stating gay marriage is going to result in gay brainwashing of our children is an obvious scare tactic. I'm still not sure that I understand how an organization that maintains it is based on Christian morals and values justifies spreading lies as its modus operandi.

If gay marriage supporters were shipped in, what fearmongering were they involved in? Holding signs that said "Please let us marry who we love". Scary stuff.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:48 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,875,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
And many are staunchly opposed to it... "MOST 1st world countries" have NOT legalized it.

If you are SO worried about how we stand on the issue as opposed to the rest of "1st world countries" you can look here:

Pew Forum: Same-Sex Marriage: Redefining Marriage Around the World (http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=235 - broken link)

I'd say it looks like we're right in the middle on this issue...
Well i'm including civil partnerships/unions (they are the same thing really) as well so by that measure i'm right

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies