Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:02 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,179 times

Advertisements

Isn't it time that we get tough on crime and terrorism? How much more do we have to take? The policy makers in DC live in gated communities or have high levels of security, while the rest of us have to fend for ourselves. If we want a safe society where we ALL can have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness then its time we get serious. If a politician says he's tough on crime then I will vote for him. Of course we need action as well as words. But, at this point, all I hear is crickets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
They are all privately protected and have no clue what the average person on the street goes through.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:12 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
how can we be tough on crime if the president pardon 48 drug dealers, they always complaining about how many we have in prison, maybe we need to double that amount

Old 07-18-2015, 11:21 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Isn't it time that we get tough on crime and terrorism? How much more do we have to take? The policy makers in DC live in gated communities or have high levels of security, while the rest of us have to fend for ourselves. If we want a safe society where we ALL can have life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness then its time we get serious. If a politician says he's tough on crime then I will vote for him. Of course we need action as well as words. But, at this point, all I hear is crickets!
First, you're mixing 2 different things that have to be treated differently. Yes, I know, terrorism is a crime. But it's a totally different type of crime.

Someone guilty of terrorism? Lock them up and throw away the key. Terrorism with a death toll? Execute them.

But tough on "crime" is an awfully big category. What fits in your category of "crime"? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit while driving? Littered? Come to a "rolling stop"? Taken a pen from work? Those are all crimes. We better lock you up.

We like to pretend that Americans are the best people on the planet...even though we have almost the highest incarceration rate in the world. Those 2 things together don't work. And not only do we lock more people up than almost any other place in the world, but even after they serve their time, they are punished for the rest of their lives, just pushing them back into crime.

I'm not saying be soft on crime, but I am saying let's examine very carefully our priorities and perspectives on crime.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 AM

You know, all those years I was a school principal, I could have suspended, put on detention, and otherwise punished 20 times as many kids for breaking the rules than I did. But the question that always came to the front was -- what a makes a difference, and what doesn't. I had teachers who wanted students expelled for chewing gum. But in reality, chewing gum was irrelevant to education; it was only relevant to keeping your thumb on someone. One mattered, the other was just a question of power.

I'm very anti-drug. I never even smoked pot. But I also don't think -- even though it is (or was) against the law, that someone ought to be in prison or have their lives ruined because they were caught with a joint. Perspective. To what really matters.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:28 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
America has the largest prison population in the history of the planet. Tough on crime? Maybe putting a fence around the borders and making the U.S. one giant prison will make you happy.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
US Crime peaked in the early 1990s and is down by half since then. And we incarcerate at the highest rate in the western nations.

I doubt terrorism even makes a blip on the violent crime charts.

So what is it you are trying to fix?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ
3 minutes tell it all.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, you're mixing 2 different things that have to be treated differently. Yes, I know, terrorism is a crime. But it's a totally different type of crime.

Someone guilty of terrorism? Lock them up and throw away the key. Terrorism with a death toll? Execute them.

But tough on "crime" is an awfully big category. What fits in your category of "crime"? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit while driving? Littered? Come to a "rolling stop"? Taken a pen from work? Those are all crimes. We better lock you up.

We like to pretend that Americans are the best people on the planet...even though we have almost the highest incarceration rate in the world. Those 2 things together don't work. And not only do we lock more people up than almost any other place in the world, but even after they serve their time, they are punished for the rest of their lives, just pushing them back into crime.

I'm not saying be soft on crime, but I am saying let's examine very carefully our priorities and perspectives on crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You know, all those years I was a school principal, I could have suspended, put on detention, and otherwise punished 20 times as many kids for breaking the rules than I did. But the question that always came to the front was -- what a makes a difference, and what doesn't. I had teachers who wanted students expelled for chewing gum. But in reality, chewing gum was irrelevant to education; it was only relevant to keeping your thumb on someone. One mattered, the other was just a question of power.

I'm very anti-drug. I never even smoked pot. But I also don't think -- even though it is (or was) against the law, that someone ought to be in prison or have their lives ruined because they were caught with a joint. Perspective. To what really matters.
you make some good points, but i have a few observations;

1: people who are convicted of a crime do pay a penalty by law, and then have a hard time fully reintegrating into society. but we must as why they have a hard time. the reality is that they broke the public trust by committing the crimes they did, and as such they have to re-earn that trust, and it is harder the second time around.

2: i agree with you on perspective though, some crimes are quite minor, and should be punished with fines and community service instead of jail time. up to a point. beyond that point then tougher measures should be taken against those that constantly thumb their nose at the system.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you make some good points, but i have a few observations;

1: people who are convicted of a crime do pay a penalty by law, and then have a hard time fully reintegrating into society. but we must as why they have a hard time. the reality is that they broke the public trust by committing the crimes they did, and as such they have to re-earn that trust, and it is harder the second time around.

2: i agree with you on perspective though, some crimes are quite minor, and should be punished with fines and community service instead of jail time. up to a point. beyond that point then tougher measures should be taken against those that constantly thumb their nose at the system.
You don't belong on this forum. Your response is reasonable.

It's a difficult question.

I had a nephew that went to prison in Florida for 2 years. I never knew for what, although I always guessed it was probably something related to drugs. After he got out, he found getting a job almost impossible (he was a cook) if he was honest about being in jail, and if he didn't answer honestly they would always find out and he would lose the job. And yes, I do think it's unfair to make someone virtually unemployable, which may only lead them back into committing a crime. But on the other hand, one day he said, "Life is so unfair." And I looked at him and said, "Shawn, you knew whatever you did was illegal, but you did it anyway. Now you will always pay the price for that. But why should an employer who has many candidates with a clean record hire a person like you who CHOSE not to keep your nose clean?"

I agree with you. I have no sympathy for repeat offenders, providing that the punishment fits the crime.

I look at a street we have here in Colorado Springs that long ago was the main route through town, so there are a lot of old, dilapidated motels there. Everyone knows a lot of the people who rent there by the week or month are ex-cons or sex offenders. But it seems that they are now forever trapped. I don't know what the solution is, but what we do now doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies