Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:09 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

well you know I believe in weapon ownership and the right to self protection...not just from common criminals but government criminals as well.The latter is the largest reason for the 2nd amendment.And since the other 9 amendments deal with individual liberty...so does the 2nd.

That said everyone who chooses to own a weapon should be educated,both on handling it and knowing your local laws regarding self defense,otherwise you might be the one who ends up in jail.

If I heard a noise I would have a weapon in hand,though if it was outside and I saw it was somebody stealing a gas can I would keep the weapon pointed in the air yet ready,I wouldn't want to kill or injure somebody over that which in my area...I would probably go to jail for unless I could prove my life was threatened.

Im a firm believer that dogs are a excellent security alert measure,though they can be overcome which in the end a personal weapon can save your life.If someone has a dog many times their house and property will be bypassed.

BTW,When I say educated,I mean volutarily educated,not by being forced and penalized with a license.

Last edited by lionking; 05-12-2007 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
If anybody flames you for THAT post, Alaskagirl, they don't have a clue!!!

Big props for common sense!!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:24 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Bones, well said!

Having lived in California for most of my life, I've seen crime get worse as gun control escalated. I think if the general population had been taught about handling of firearms, and firearm safety, in general, people would be far less afraid of them.

What I find particularly troubling is that when there is a mass slaughter of people, as was the case in Virginia recently, the media is all over it, with the intent to criminalize the gun (or other murder weapon) used. They capitalize on the public's fear of firearms in order to demonize them. They never talk about the murderer's use of drugs (nearly all of them are or were using drugs). They also never promote the use of lethal force to stop these murderers in the middle of their rampages. What is most troubling about these mass murders, to me, is that there never seems to be anyone that has the ability to stop these murderers in their tracks by the use of lethal force.

I like the idea from the original post about using the threat of lethal force to stop a criminal in his tracks. If criminals were regularly faced with the threat of lethal force during the commission of their crimes, you can bet there would be far fewer crimes committed.
Is the ability...unarmed or affraid of legal assult ¿

Just the threat is usually enough to deter someone,unless they are high on drugs.

Picked up a pair of ear muffs tonight and asked the wife if she was ready to goto the range and learn how to use a weapon. With hesitation, she said yes (she's always been afraid of guns) guess it would be a good thing to learn how to use one safely since we are out in the boonies now..... So turned around and got another set of ear muffs.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Is the ability...unarmed or affraid of legal assult ¿

Just the threat is usually enough to deter someone,unless they are high on drugs.

Picked up a pair of ear muffs tonight and asked the wife if she was ready to goto the range and learn how to use a weapon. With hesitation, she said yes (she's always been afraid of guns) guess it would be a good thing to learn how to use one safely since we are out in the boonies now..... So turned around and got another set of ear muffs.
Seems reasonable to me...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I'm going to wedge this in here and expect to get flamed.

First, I agree with the OP and what others have said.

But (you knew it was coming) i do believe we need a form of gun control in this country. Not a total restriction - that would be stupid, but at least stop the sale of automatic weapons to the citizenry. I don't care how you look at it automatic weapons aren't required to kill deer, or the next door neighbor. Look at the toll these weapons are taking on police in our country. These men and women are here to protect us and I find it ridiculous that they have to face these weapons on their rounds.

Rant over - have at it.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:03 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I completely agree Tek...
People should have the right to defend themselves but I believe there are certain kinds of weapons a private person has no reason to have, they are not used for self defense or hunting...

I also believe that IF you are commited against your will to a mental health institution that you should NEVER be allowed to own a gun...only people who are commited against their will...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 AM

So if I know I'm crazy I can have a gun. If you think I'm crazy I can't?

Not really arguing with you, just sounded strange in my head...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 AM

The law-abiding citizens are not the ones that need to be feared, it's the CRIMINALS that turn guns on law enforcement. There is NO WAY to stuff that genie back in the bottle. I fear a law-abiding citizen in possession of an M-50 less of a threat than a criminal with a slingshot.

Automatic weapons are ONLY a danger when wielded by CRIMINALS. Restricting them would only remove them from the hands of those who already POSE NO THREAT.

Reactive thinking seldom succeeds...

Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The law-abiding citizens are not the ones that need to be feared, it's the CRIMINALS that turn guns on law enforcement. There is NO WAY to stuff that genie back in the bottle. I fear a law-abiding citizen in possession of an M-50 less of a threat than a criminal with a slingshot.

Automatic weapons are ONLY a danger when wielded by CRIMINALS. Restricting them would only remove them from the hands of those who already POSE NO THREAT.

Reactive thinking seldom succeeds...
I'd like to introduce you to some law-abiding citizens in the area that have those semi-automatic weapons. They're not criminals, but they'll scare the H*ll out of you.

I sincerely expect someone to be dead in less than a year with or without the police being aware of the "legal" weapons these crazies are carrying around. It'll probably be one of those policemen trying to calm one down that gets shot.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So if I know I'm crazy I can have a gun. If you think I'm crazy I can't?

Not really arguing with you, just sounded strange in my head...
The reason I say that is because unless you are commited against your will how is anyone going to know you were commited?? Mental health facilities don't share your record with law enforcement or anyone else for that matter...HIPA compliance demands this privacy...

SO when you go into buy a gun and last year you were hauled off to the local psych ward by the cops, that can be checked in a background search when you purchase your gun...

Frankly I don't want medical or mental health facilities to start sharing my records with the government, I have a right to privacy. For example, I suffered from some depression after my Father died...I took some antidepressants for a little while afterward...thats MY business...NOT the government...If I had gotten crazy enough to be commited against my will then I don't have a problem with that person loosing their right to privacy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies