Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A friend sent me this by e-mail and wondering if this is could be real or not?

The present invention relates, in general, to attenuated swine influenza viruses having an impaired ability to antagonize the interferon (IFN) response, and the use of such attenuated viruses in vaccine and pharmaceutical formulations. In particular, the invention relates to attenuated swine influenza viruses having modifications to a swine NS1 gene that diminish or eliminate the ability of the NS1 gene product to antagonize the cellular IFN response. These viruses replicate in vivo, but demonstrate decreased replication, virulence and increased attenuation, and therefore are well suited for use in live virus vaccines, and pharmaceutical formulations.

Genetically Engineered Swine Influenza Virus and Uses Thereof - US Patent Application 20090010962 Full Text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

The present invention relates, in general, to attenuated swine influenza viruses having an impaired ability to antagonize the interferon (IFN) response, and the use of such attenuated viruses in vaccine and pharmaceutical formulations. In particular, the invention relates to attenuated swine influenza viruses having modifications to a swine NS1 gene that diminish or eliminate the ability of the NS1 gene product to antagonize the cellular IFN response. These viruses replicate in vivo, but demonstrate decreased replication, virulence and increased attenuation, and therefore are well suited for use in live virus vaccines, and pharmaceutical formulations.

Genetically Engineered Swine Influenza Virus and Uses Thereof - US Patent Application 20090010962 Full Text
Of course it's real.

The patent rights were assigned to the the U.S. Government and a couple of Government funded universities.

I guess they can pick and choose which company gets manufacturing rights.

United States Patent Application: 0090010962

Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Ya Mon - it be big bidness to make you sick, then sell the 'cure' to you. Medimmune holds patent, and they sells the vaccine. Ain't it cool, mon.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
[quote=John1960;11540179]A friend sent me this by e-mail and wondering if this is could be real or not?

Don't you feel good that the same gene modification technology can be also used to enhance the ability of the H1N1 virus to anatgonize the interferon response and do nature one better by speeding this evolution of the virus which might take nature a lot longer to acomplish through random mutations. What a piece of work is man.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
She's OK!

Desiree Jennings Experiences Amazing Recovery with Nature-based Therapies (Nov. 8, 2009)

Old 11-09-2009, 06:05 PM

403 posts, read 535,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Of course it's real.

The patent rights were assigned to the the U.S. Government and a couple of Government funded universities.

I guess they can pick and choose which company gets manufacturing rights.

United States Patent Application: 0090010962
omg
so why arent the american people being told about this? i'll be damned if i'm going to let my family members get that shot!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
That is pretty soon after a body from a victim from the 1918 flu was recovered (H1N1 subtype) where they were doing research into why it was so deadly. Also how to prevent something like that pandemic from ever happening again that killed 3-6% of the world population. The patent specifically includes RNA samples from the swine flu, from the link:

"The segmented genome of influenza A virus consists of eight molecules (seven for influenza C) of linear, negative polarity, single-stranded RNAs which encode eleven polypeptides, including: the RNA-dependent RNA polymerase proteins (PB2, PB1 and PA) and nucleoprotein (NP) which form the nucleocapsid"

From the research into the virus:

On September 16, 2008, the body of Yorkshireman Sir Mark Sykes was exhumed to study the RNA of the Spanish flu virus in efforts to understand the genetic structure of modern H5N1 bird flu. Sykes had been buried in 1919 in a lead coffin which scientists hope will have helped preserve the virus.[62]

In December 2008, research by Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Wisconsin linked the presence of three specific genes (termed PA, PB1, and PB2) and a nucleoprotein derived from 1918 flu samples to the ability of the flu virus to invade the lungs and cause pneumonia. The combination triggered similar symptoms in animal testing.[63]

1918 flu pandemic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu_research

They are trying to save people by finding out how it causes so much damage (originally for bird flu), and then stop it.

No good deed goes unpunished, after being blown out of proportion by those who think it is a conspiracy.

I bet we will hear about this patent for years, even though it's only in a lab trying to save people's lives by hard working physicians.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love.doll View Post
omg
so why arent the american people being told about this? i'll be damned if i'm going to let my family members get that shot!
The reason they're not being told about it is because its not what you think it is. It's the patent for the attenuated H1N1 virus, the version of it that was genetically altered to be castrated. This version of the virus has the genes removed that code into the virus' behavior to infect and make you sick. Take a look at what "attenuated" means before getting bent out of shape, it means "weakened."

The idea is that you'll get better anti-bodies if the virus is alive, rather than dead or dying, with the benefit of not getting sick from the vaccine itself. The patent exists because if they didn't patent it, someone else would. In the world of biotechnology, patenting your intellectual property is a must. Usually, a scientist working for a university or research firm will patent their work, and level modest royalty fees, allowing them to make a decent chunk of change while still permitting other research to continue. Unfortunately, the occassional greedy individual or biotech company will patent entire fields of research, locking down further research by independent researchers and scientists working at universities by leveling heavy royalty fees. For example, any of the recent breakthroughs in gene therapy, HIV/AIDS research, or cancer research, is because the patents on them are expiring.

Look up the scientific literature and read a book next time before festering anti-science propaganda on forums that you found through Google. Give the conspiracist crap a rest, already. The government, big business, and even science may not have a lily white history, but they're not out to get you as much as that probably excites you. What would killing you possibly accomplish for any of them, and furthermore if the aim was to make you sick, why would they tell you how NOT to get sick?

The abstract of the patent literally spells out that the virus was engineered so that its unable to get you sick, its unable to infect your cells and use them to replicate more copies of the virus, and that its weak. It spells out the problems with previous attempts to do something like this, that the vaccine was engineered to correct those problems, and it tells you that you can use it for medical and pharmaceutical applications. What most of the people have done in this thread was cherrypick the words "government," "virus," and "engineered," and illustrated the typical conspiracist fantasy of the government engineering viruses to kill people for money. Please, before the next time your asses overload your mouths again, take the time to look up what the big, scary words actually mean rather than quivering about what they MIGHT mean. I mean seriously, would a few seconds on Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, or even looking into an encyclopedia kill you?

I thank Subsound for at least taking the time to do what so many are too intellectually lazy to do. Shame on the rest of you. You have this delusion that if it involves the government or money or science, it somehow eludes to whatever nebulous cabal of non-existent people you think are running the show. You'd whine and complain if they funded research to make a vaccine to fix the problem, and you're the same group of people who'd whine, *****, moan, and complain if they had nothing to do with making a new vaccine in the first place.

Last edited by SheffieldsPark; 07-04-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: I'm not done tearing you a new ass hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies