Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's what we get when Democrats are in power. Shameful.
Are you serious? Remind me who the president was during 9/11? What administration received numerous warnings from other countries during the Spring/Summer of '01? What President received a direct warning a month before 9/11 of an impending Bin Laden attack on US soil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
I would agree with that, except Democrats have watered-down the CIA to a point that political correctness is King, and making allegations that a Muslim member of the U.S. Army attempting to contact Al Qaeda had better be based in fact instead of caution or suspicion. The negative effects of Barack Obama on the intelligence community (ie. releasing classifed memos) are just beginning.

That's what we get when Democrats are in power. Shameful.
You don't give any credence to the idea that the CIA, as well as other intelligence agencies and law enforcement agencies, have a culture of protecting their "turf" and hoarding "information" rather than sharing information with each other?

I think there were probably several factors at play here.

First, I think the CIA and NSA and FBI and CID all gather thousands of facts and bits of data on people everyday, and have to ascertain from the context who poses the most urgent risks, who might deserve further scrutiny, who bears watching, who is a neglible risk and so on. They are monitoring a lot of different communication pathways, and they do their best, but some things slip through the cracks.

I also think the fact that this man was a medical professional, and an officer in the army, might have created a context where he was given a bit more leeway than others might have been. He wasn't a new soldier, he had a career in the army, and that indicates that even though he might have been disaffected, he was also invested in the army. Add to that that he was a medical professional, someone whose entire career revolved around helping people, and you get a context that a reasonable analyzer would have said warranted watching, possibly even further scrutiny, but probably not more surveillance. Certainly not the kind of surveillance where intelligence agencies could have discerned his intentions.

He acted so far outside of what could have been anticipated, that I think it's unfair to have expected any agency, to have seen this coming. It's tragic, what happened, and as we look closely at him, now, we can see there were indicators. But when we look closely at anyone who's behaved irrationally, there are indicators. But all of us have such indicators. All of us make statements that come back to haunt us. All of us do things we later regret. Something inside of Dr Hasan is broken, he did something terrible, really, really terrible, and he should never, ever enjoy a single day of freedom for the rest of his life, because something inside of him is broken, and he no longer can be trusted.

But we need to recognize that whatever it is that's broken inside of him, whatever that part that was broken in Charles Manson, or in Ted Bundy, or in the Ohio man with all those bodies in that house, you can't tell from the outside that these people are broken. Once you know, sure, Manson's flat affect when he talks, the dead eyes, it all seems obvious. But before you know, you realize that some people have less affect when they speak, that lots of people have eyes that somehow seem blank, that you can't look into. In hindsight, Dr Hasan put out warning signs, and we didn't pick up on them. We need to learn why we didn't pick up on them, we need to do better in the future, to take something positive from this experience.

I don't think that it would be a good thing to take from this the idea that all Muslims pose a threat, or that Americans who are of Middle Eastern descent, regardless of their religious heritage, should be awarded second-class citizenship by virtue of their background. We need to look at Dr Hasan, specifically, to learn from him specifically where we failed to pay attention to the warning signs.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,903,410 times
Sirhan Sirhan. Anyone recall him ? He's in prison forever. He shot Bobby Kennedy. Hasan will claim insanity. Ironic how a "would be" psychiatrist ends up needing them to "defend" him.

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:0jBFOvCj9qgJ:www.crimemagazine.com/05/sirhansirhan,0906-5.htm+sirhan+sirhan&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us (broken link)

Last edited by Peggy Anne; 11-09-2009 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 11:55 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
Quote:
This is big news. For the sake of the non-violent Muslim community, I hope it is not true. But if it is true, then its time for Muslim leaders to once again stand up and denounce the violence, because folks like myself are becoming very wary of the continuous proclamations that Islam is a religion of peace. I'm not doubting it, but the claim is certainly becoming more dubious in my mind. Especially when allegations of Al Qaeda connections begin to surface.
anyone that ever claims that should be pointed in this direction: Islam: Making a True Difference in the World

Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Political correctness has replaced common sense.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Political correctness has replaced common sense.
I hear people make suggestions, and then says its just common sense all the time. The problem is that common sense has nothing to do with discriminating against people, but you'll always find someone to defend their discriminatory remarks as just "common sense".

Old 11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I hear people make suggestions, and then says its just common sense all the time. The problem is that common sense has nothing to do with discriminating against people, but you'll always find someone to defend their discriminatory remarks as just "common sense".
What's discriminating? The fact that this guy was a Jihadist terrorist in the making and wanted to prove his worth to Allah? That's not discriminating, it's common sense that's what he was. Call a spade a spade.....

Old 11-09-2009, 01:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Are you serious? Remind me who the president was during 9/11? What administration received numerous warnings from other countries during the Spring/Summer of '01? What President received a direct warning a month before 9/11 of an impending Bin Laden attack on US soil?
I'm pretty sure its common knowledge of the information sharing failures of CIA/FBI/NSA/CID that led to 9/11. Pinning the attack on George W. Bush is nothing short of being intellectually dishonest.

However, its NOT being intellectually dishonest to say that Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi have neutered the CIA with the release of classified memos implicating those that work behind the scenes to make you and I safer. When the boss doesn't stand behind his/her workers', you can't expect unparalleled productivity. Obama would have never went to the CIA to make a reconcilliation speech if he hadn't second-guessed his own political backhanding.

Why this is so hard for liberals to understand is unknown, but nevertheless, shameful. I'd recommend you read the plethora of CIA autobiographies that are out there to obtain a solid understanding of the castration of the CIA that has taken place, starting with Bill Clinton and continued by ObamaPelosiReid. It's real, don't fool yourself.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:21 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
I would agree with that, except Democrats have watered-down the CIA to a point that political correctness is King, and making allegations that a Muslim member of the U.S. Army attempting to contact Al Qaeda had better be based in fact instead of caution or suspicion. The negative effects of Barack Obama on the intelligence community (ie. releasing classifed memos) are just beginning.

The fallout of making allegations against a Muslim far outweights the act of keeping the nation safe. So the CIA plays it safe and keeps it compartmentalized. That's what we get when Democrats are in power. Every liberal in this nation ought to be ashamed.

You got it, Obama has turned us into an unsafe country and with the moronic Holder running the show and going after the CIA they will not any longer go out of their way to protect us. They will now be afraid that Obama and his commi buddies will nail them for being politically correct and not going after terrorist.

This happen under Obamas watch all because someone was afraid to go the extra step to take care if this killer before he murdered people.

Dems wont be ashamed because they believe he was a victim and had the right to do this.

Remember the left wing nuts on Timothy McVeigh, they called him a terrorist and everything else because he was a white man who did it, now since this muslim freak did it you cannot even mention it.

Flat out a domestic terrorist who I am sure was given an open door by the Obama administration because no one wanted to step up to the plate.

Thanks to Obama and the dems for making us less safe like I said many months ago.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times

YouTube - What do they have in common?

This is a spoof on our PC culture....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies