Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:42 PM

177 posts, read 312,889 times

Advertisements

I wish the guys guarding him would unload their clips in him and save us the trouble of a trial and media circus.

"Hey, he came at me with a scalpel while trying to escape! Had to put him down."

Hasan chose his side and now he's going to get it, one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,067,115 times
He is really mentally ill, very. I almost hope he succeeds. Not that I don't want him punished, but I think sitting next to some one screaming they are Napoleon and another who is knitting something that isn't there can be worse punishments over 50 years. Death would seem like a relief in that instance.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,651,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
To man up the firing squad, I nominate the family of the prenant soldier he killed. Let them pull the trigger.

All 31 get to pull a trigger. The pregnant soldier goes first.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM

843 posts, read 1,299,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Could you cite some sources for the info in bold? Particularly the link between antidepressants and homicidal thoughts - I've seen no such studies and would be interested if you have.

Not a fan of big pharm myself, but antidepressants don't cause suicidal thoughts - the effect you seem to be referring to is that antidepressants tend to energize (or lift the lethargy) of depressed patients enough to act on the thoughts they've already had. The black box warning (re: increased suicidal thoughts/acts) on antidepressants is from a review of studies with children and adolescents, Hasan is neither of these.

NIMH · Mental Health Medications

Try this page

Also go to the search engine at the same site and type in antidepressents. All kinds of stuff pops up.

You may alswant to Google Bill Sardi antidepressents.

Not sure if anything will come up or not, but he writes a lot about this stuff.

Last edited by NorthPoleMarathoner; 11-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: provide link

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
He deserves a fair trial regardless of how bad his crimes are. If we do what some are suggesting we do, we will be no better than the crazy Muslim theocratic countries (like Iran or, before the war, Taliban controlled Afghanistan) we're supposed to oppose. And I'll add I oppose the death penalty entirely, because the government can't be trusted with such power. Sure, this guy is guilty, but innocent people have been executed...

Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,723,447 times
Let him, "Lawyer Up", I don't care why he did what he did

Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
Try this page

Also go to the search engine at the same site and type in antidepressents. All kinds of stuff pops up.

You may alswant to Google Bill Sardi antidepressents.

Not sure if anything will come up or not, but he writes a lot about this stuff.
Ok, so this answer is a bit far afield from the OP, so I'll respond and then let it go:

Thanks for the links.

I know a lot of stuff pops up googling suicide and antidepressants- what concerns me is that most of the information is not of the greatest quality (I'm a psychologist who works with the chronically suicidal and while I am not involved in medication prescription, I am very aware of the literature on antidepressants and on risk factors for suicide).

The natural health website and Mr. Sardi's views are very interesting, although not unbiased in their presentation of information (e.g., St John's Wart actually has not been found to have any effect on clinical depression, though NIMH is running a trial now to see if it has any benefit for more mild depressive symptoms).

To the best of my knowledge there has been no demonstrated relationship between antidepressants and homicide. As I mentioned earlier, the black box warning about antidepressants and suicidal behavior/ideation is relevant to children/adolescents, not to adults.

So, whatever medication Hasan was or wasn't on is probably not relevant.

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 11-09-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,002,106 times
Lawyers who claim mental illness on behalf of their clients know they have a losing case on their hands. Most juries do not buy the insane/mental illness defense.

Washingtonpost.com: The Insanity Defense: A Closer Look
Are insanity defenses often successful?
No, despite public perceptions to the contrary. One eight-state study of criminal cases in the early 1990s concluded that less than one percent of defendants pleaded insanity and, of them, only a quarter won aquittals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And I'll add I oppose the death penalty entirely, because the government can't be trusted with such power. Sure, this guy is guilty, but innocent people have been executed...
Just curious: are you for or against government run health care?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:50 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Nope,

Everyone in this country, no matter how guilty they are, has a right to a fair trial, and an attourney.

Then, when he's found guilty, they should string him up by his testicles, allow the family members of the casualties to cut a little piece out of him. Then, after he has bleed and is near death, then each of the wounded should be allowed to add one rat to a pit, where he is slowly lowered into, and allow the rats to eat him alive, from the reproductive organs up.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
Just curious: are you for or against government run health care?
Against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies