Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

U.S. job seekers are crashing into the worst employment market in years and background checks that reach deeper than ever into their pasts.

The result: a surge of people seeking to legally clear their criminal records.

In Michigan, state police estimate they'll set aside 46% more convictions this year than last. Oregon is on track to set aside 33% more. Florida sealed and expunged nearly 15,000 criminal records in the fiscal year ended June 30, up 43% from the previous year. The courts of Cook County, which includes Chicago and nearby suburbs, received about 7,600 expungement requests in the year's first three quarters, nearly double the pace from the year before.

More Job Seekers Scramble To Erase Their Criminal Past - WSJ.com

If this happens...more ex-cons, can obtain licenses for becoming a mortgage broker, realtor, get a job that people instead of a person who has a clean history.

You did the crime and this is the result. As an employer I want to know if an potential employee has been a thief, committed fraud, etc...

If the person has a an issue later on they are the first to fall back in their criminal behavior and we as the customers have to pay for more theft in stores by employees which will raise the prices.

IMO if an employer wants to hire a criminal, that is fine with me as long as that criminal doesn't has to perform work in my home...or at least I should be informed. If a employer wants to let a person who committed theft and fraud, have a job at his cash register, that is up to the employer to decide, but at least give him the right to know the truth.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
U.S. job seekers are crashing into the worst employment market in years and background checks that reach deeper than ever into their pasts.

In Michigan, state police estimate they'll set aside 46% more convictions this year than last. Oregon is on track to set aside 33% more. Florida sealed and expunged nearly 15,000 criminal records in the fiscal year ended June 30, up 43% from the previous year. The courts of Cook County, which includes Chicago and nearby suburbs, received about 7,600 expungement requests in the year's first three quarters, nearly double the pace from the year before.

If this happens...more ex-cons, can obtain licenses for becoming a mortgage broker, realtor, get a job that people instead of a person who has a clean history.

You did the crime and this is the result. As an employer I want to know if an potential employee has been a thief, committed fraud, etc...

If the person has a an issue later on they are the first to fall back in their criminal behavior and we as the customers have to pay for more theft in stores by employees which will raise the prices.

IMO if an employer wants to hire a criminal, that is fine with me as long as that criminal doesn't has to perform work in my home...or at least I should be informed. If a employer wants to let a person who committed theft and fraud, have a job at his cash register, that is up to the employer to decide, but at least give him the right to know the truth.

I understand the concern however not an accurate assessment. Criminal past could include anything from a misdomeaner drug charge when someone was younger or a shoplifting charge.
A person had to be crime free for at least 10 years after their probationary period has ended (at least that's how it works in NJ). Someone with a Felony Murder, Rape or Child molestation Manslaughter, Embezzlment, well thats totally different. To deny someone who has changed their life for the better because of something they did 10, 20, 30 years ago doesn't seem right.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
My friend is a responsible DoD subcontractor and has a felony that was expunged. Old fraternity stunt of stealing a pumpkin. In these simple cases, employers should be excluded from finding out about someone's past. The law is the law and these files were cleared. No private business should ever be able to coerce government into releasing them.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My friend is a responsible DoD subcontractor and has a felony that was expunged. Old fraternity stunt of stealing a pumpkin. In these simple cases, employers should be excluded from finding out about someone's past. The law is the law and these files were cleared. No private business should ever be able to coerce government into releasing them.

Exactly first time we agree.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:40 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,420 times
Quote:

What was the felony charge?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Yeah, stealing a pumpkin - a felony.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah, stealing a pumpkin - a felony.
Actually, it's based on poundage and yes it was a felony. Him and his two pledge brothers were trying to roll out a 200 pound sucker and place it into the back of a pickup truck. The DoD subcontractor is a private business and cannot look into an expunged record and that is why he's able to work for them.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

On this we will disagree

If a felon isnt allowed to get a job that will provide for themselves they will have no choice but go back to a life of crime.

Then you have felons that are one time felons Ie a women beaten or forced to do something many different reasons.

If you dont allow them to get work the cycle is never going to end

A person shouldnt have to pay for their life for a mistake. Now if its a violent crime thats another story but they have to be able to get jobs

Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
On this we will disagree

If a felon isnt allowed to get a job that will provide for themselves they will have no choice but go back to a life of crime.

Then you have felons that are one time felons Ie a women beaten or forced to do something many different reasons.

If you dont allow them to get work the cycle is never going to end

A person shouldnt have to pay for their life for a mistake. Now if its a violent crime thats another story but they have to be able to get jobs

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Private businesses may not look beyond public records, period. They will just have to assume the risk for anyone else who has an expunged record. That's the law and to circumvent it creates an atmosphere of fascism where private business and government collude to control labor markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies