Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:09 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times

Advertisements

I feel that Hollywood is still racist. You still don't see minorites outside of African Americans represented in television and movies unless its in a token role. Or if there is a Spanish, Indian role or Asian role, it always goes to one actor aka Antonio Banderas plays all the leading Hispanic roles, Cal Penn plays all the Indian roles and John Cho plays all the Asian roles. Case in point, 25% of all the physicians in this country are Indian/Pakastani. On NBC's ER, they didn't have an Indian/Pakastani cast member until their 16th or 17th season.

Hollywood is far from politically correct. Only in the last 20 years has there been any sensitivity whatsoever to minorities. In the 1980's and earlier, you didn't even see a minority on television unless it was in a demeaning token role. When Jimmy Smits was a lawyer on LA Law, I remember that was a big deal for Hispanics. Even Erika Estrada was portrayed as an Italian on CHIPS because Hispanic or Mexican was unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Who ****ing cares?

I have got better things to do aside from crying over a movie.

Like dealing with Muslims and Jihad in real life.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I see the complaints about the entertainment industry as mostly background noise. It's the same crowd that's always complaining about the so-called liberal media. They play the role of victim quite well, and for good reason: They do it every day of their lives.

If you don't like a movie or TV show, don't watch it. And if conservatives feel like their viewpoints aren't being represented by the entertainment industry, then start producing your own entertainment and see how much the public likes it.
How old are you? Were you alive in the 80's because if you were, i doubt you would be saying the above. Homosexuals in particularly were universally mocked and portrayed as people who would stalk and hit on any male that walked by them. They were portrayed as crazy little deviants. It wasn't until Melrose Place in the early 90's in which one of the residents (Doug Savant) was gay yet he wasn't depicted like a token gay like Bronson Pinchot's character on Beverly Hills Cop. He was an everyday guy who happened to be gay.

It is a big deal because Hollywood impacts the way people think and it shapes our community whether you like it or not. When I was growing up, I knew nothing about gays aside from what I saw on television and it did shape how I thought about them until I met some in life. When they apply stereotypes and token characters, it is irresponsible because it reinforces stereotypes.

I'm not asking that Hollywood promote some p.c. nonsense but it shouldn't inaccurate either. Only portraying minorities in negative stereotypes is hardly representative of the real world. The problem is Hollywood producers are idiots who are risk averse and are afraid that if a minority has a leading role, that White America won't watch...rubbish! It's the main reason why most films produced are terrible, because producers assume we are idiots who only watch the same trash that is put out there.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:30 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
How old are you? Were you alive in the 80's because if you were, i doubt you would be saying the above. Homosexuals in particularly were universally mocked and portrayed as people who would stalk and hit on any male that walked by them. They were portrayed as crazy little deviants. It wasn't until Melrose Place in the early 90's in which one of the residents (Doug Savant) was gay yet he wasn't depicted like a token gay like Bronson Pinchot's character on Beverly Hills Cop. He was an everyday guy who happened to be gay.

It is a big deal because Hollywood impacts the way people think and it shapes our community whether you like it or not. When I was growing up, I knew nothing about gays aside from what I saw on television and it did shape how I thought about them until I met some in life. When they apply stereotypes and token characters, it is irresponsible because it reinforces stereotypes.
You make very good points, and I appreciate that you take these discussions seriously, but I was mostly reacting to what appeared to be more of the same Hollywood-bashing that Bill O'Reilly does on a regular (maybe daily) basis. There are a lot of people like him who constantly whine about the entertainment business and portray it as being too liberal and/or biased against conservatives. It's an old argument, and I'm not impressed with it.

About Doug Savant's character on Melrose Place: Originally, there was a scene shot with him kissing another guy, but at the last minute, Fox decided to edit it out of the episode. Even in the 90s, it was still incredibly taboo to show two guys kissing. Fox's sponsors threatened to cancel their contracts if they dared to show the kiss.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The problem is Hollywood producers are idiots who are risk averse and are afraid that if a minority has a leading role, that White America won't watch...rubbish! It's the main reason why most films produced are terrible, because producers assume we are idiots who only watch the same trash that is put out there.
It's also probably the main reason why Brokeback Mountain didn't win Best Picture for 2005, and Crash did. The Academy didn't want to be seen as "too" gay-friendly. Also, Hollywood isn't as liberal as some people like to think. There were some members of the Academy who refused to even watch Brokeback Mountain because it was about a same-sex relationship.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The reason why he brought up this movie is because the people making the movie had wanted to include the destruction of Mecca, the part where the big black cube sits and muslims walk around several times once a year, but changed their mind out of fear muslims will issue a fatwah against them calling for their deaths like they did to Van Gough, Rushdi, and the Danish cartoonist.
Evidence, please?

Old 01-11-2010, 07:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I noticed that but it's fleeting and not central to the mediocre story, great special effects and miscast actors. But, I also wonder - What Islamic building/statue would be recognizable to American movie audiences? They don't say it's the Vatican and I've never been there but I can recognize what it is in the movie. They don't say it's the Christ the Redeemer statue nor have I ever been to Brazil but I recognize it because it's in so many movies. What would be the point of destroying some building or statue most of the audience doesn't recognize? I have no problem with what the movie people did regardless of the reason. It wasn't a commentary on religion, in my opinion. It was destroying familiar statues and buildings (the Washington monument, the White House, etc.) throughout the world to evoke an audience reaction.
I'd pay to watch the Kaaba crumble, even if it's only a special effect!

Kaaba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed the same things when watching a recent episode of "Life After People" dealing with the eventual destruction of churches and other religious monuments. Everything shown was Christian in origin - the Vatican, Christ The Redeemer, etc. I wondered why crumbling mosques or other Islamic landmarks were not shown.

Chicken-s**t Hollywood!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM

270 posts, read 656,295 times
Hollywood is obsessed with communism and anything anti-Christian. I would suggest parents carefully screen movies before allowing children to few them. Better yet, someone should create movies specifically to subtly teach the opposing view point while still providing good entertainment.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:54 AM

63 posts, read 37,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
I would suggest parents carefully screen movies before allowing children to few them.
Like the bible thumping "Fireproof"? Fireproof - The Movie: The Number One Inspirational Film of 2009
LOL

Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
Hollywood is obsessed with communism and anything anti-Christian.
OK, fess up. Who connected McCarthy's brain to the Internet?

Quote:
Better yet, someone should create movies specifically to subtly teach the opposing view point while still providing good entertainment.
Well, write a script, raise some capital, form a production company and get going. Hollywood will be ecstatic to provide expertise and facilities, as long as there's cash on the barrelhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies