Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 01:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
No it is not, you obviously don't know much about history. Did you know that the top marginal tax rate was 94% during WW2 and the top marginal tax rate before that was 79%. The transfer of wealth was far more pronounced in the past. And the gap between rich and poor has been widening almost unabated since the founding of this country.
The transfer is still going on..healthcare bill and soon cap & trade.
It's not over by any means...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:51 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I would like to be able to understand how Obama plans to stimulate the economy by spending more money, raising taxes, increasing energy costs through Cap and Trade and not giving small businesses any type of incentive to hire more people.I am trying to understand the mind of the "economists" behind him and I am really having a hard time.
Obama came into office with his eyes firmly fixed on FDR and the New Deal. As a liberal he absorbed the myth that FDR got us out of the Great Depression. So if it worked for FDR it should work to get us out of the "worst recession since the Great Depression." Unfortunately for Obama (and for us) most reputable historians and economists now recognize that the New Deal was largely a disaster that prolonged the depression. WWII saved FDR's presidency and sealed his legacy. Hopefully it won't take such a worldwide cataclysm to save us from Obama and little Timmy Geithner.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Unfortunately for Obama (and for us) most reputable historians and economists now recognize that the New Deal was largely a disaster that prolonged the depression.
Well, most historians and economists who are held as reputable within the Mises Institute, perhaps. Most anyplace else, I think Creation Science and the theory of WMD might be more highly regarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
WWII saved FDR's presidency and sealed his legacy.
Ah, a giant federal stimulus program...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I would like to be able to understand how Obama plans to stimulate the economy by spending more money, raising taxes, increasing energy costs through Cap and Trade and not giving small businesses any type of incentive to hire more people.I am trying to understand the mind of the "economists" behind him and I am really having a hard time.
Well, of course, the first thing to understand is that it is not their intent to "stimulate" the economy. It is their intent to destroy it. And they are doing that quite well.

If they really wanted to stimulate the economy, they would have reduced, not raised the Capital Gains rate. They would have abandoned the "Cap 'n Tax" plan, they would not have shoved this massive spending bill (called "Health Reform") down our throats, they would leave the Bush tax cuts in place, they would not be inroducing all the massive new taxes that they have planned, and they would not be telling private businesses how much to pay their employees.

All these things are making things worse.

This administration "owns" this economy. It's theirs, they created it, and it is what they want.

The sooner we realize and understand this, the sooner we will be able to deal with it. Americans are waking up. But is it fast enough?

We need to contact our State representatives and tell them to oppose this administration on every level. I have heard that states can nullify Federal law on Constitutional grounds, and have done it. I think that is key.

Obama is like 1000 miles of bad road. His agenda must be stopped.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The liberal argument for the way the stimulus was planned is
Lets give money to the poor people because they dont save money, they rush right out and spend it vs those rich/middle classh who save up so they can invest it..
If by poor people you mean Democratic allies like unions and government workers, I agree. But a lot of profitable corporations got money too. Call it chumming the 2010 corporate campaign donor waters.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:49 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Obama's economic policies: Irrational?

Not if you like living from hand to mouth, or otherwise spending your money as fast or faster than you get it.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:51 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're in a heap of trouble..and only 1 year in.

We were in a heap of trouble before Obama.
But nobody cared.

As long as those at the Corporate top got theirs.
Everybody felt that everything was A-OK.

And they told us it was.
And things are still A-OK, for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies