Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,002,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think its important to point out that a person who has $1000 in stocks on March 9th would have $1600 in stocks (if they had a portfolio mirroring the Dow). The only way they would have exactly $1600 in cash is if they sold off every share for the closing price, which is just about completely impossible. Even then, they likely owe a chunk of that cash to the gov'ment in capital gains. That is going to reduce their spendable cash by over 1000 dollars.
I think you should re-read my entire post.

I was pretty specific in my wording.

And please tell me what method of taxation on capital gains would take a $1000 investment which grows to $1600, and somehow make it worth $1000 less than the $1600 (i.e. $600 spendable)? Even if the person held it for less than one year, the most the $600 gain (assuming the money was invested on March 9, 2009) would be taxed, is at the current tax rate for the person (maybe 40% - 50% - if they are in a high tax bracket). So the most they would lose is $300 in spendable dollars. So they would have $1300 to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,747,590 times
The Dow is NOT the Economy

Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,338,832 times
How many times to I have to ask this question.

What does the DOW have to do with the everyday normal middle of the road American that Obama claimed he was for?

Answer: NOTHING

None of those people invest in the DOW, to hear the left wingers only the rich have the money to invest.

It is so easy to see the left winger Obama robots are looking hard to find something positive during his 10 months of failures.

The DOW is not your positive, it means zero to those he promised to help.

Fact is, only those bad mean nasty selfish rich people that the left hate are the ones raking in the cash from any rise in the Dow.

Nice try, but this BS has been tried over and over.

Name one single major accomplishment of Obama other then making the rich richer like this poor example.

Obamaphobes are getting desperate for any good news they can find.

Lets talk about records since you brought it up.

Obama has set new records for 2009 on all of the following.

The most troops that died in a month.
The worst terrorist attack on American soil ever.
The highest foreclosures in history.
The most bankruptcies in history.
The most jobs lost in one month.
The largest drop in approval ratings ever.
The largest closings of factories in American history.
The most debt and most money spent in the 1st year and he did it in 9 months.
The list goes on and on. Obama is not only setting records but he is making new ones almost daily.

Change we can believe in baby!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

5,319 posts, read 9,002,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Can you buy more healthcare? How about auto insurance? Home insurance? College education? You sell the stocks and you have to pay capital gains taxes. You sell the gold and you pay nothing to the IRS.
If your stocks are worth more, and you cash them in, you now have more money to buy anything you can think of. Doesn't matter what it is. Insurance, education, whatever.

And I believe people who own gold, usually own it through a gold specific mutual fund. So, yes, they would have capital gains to pay. I highly doubt people are hoarding actual gold bullion in their homes or in bank safety deposit boxes.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Dow is NOT the Economy
They have to use the DOW because it is the ONLY thing that looks good for Obama.

Unemployment will hit 13% soon when we were promised the stimulus would not allow it to go past 8%, but the DOW is rocking ---

Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
If your stocks are worth more, and you cash them in, you now have more money to buy anything you can think of. Doesn't matter what it is. Insurance, education, whatever.

And I believe people who own gold, usually own it through a gold specific mutual fund. So, yes, they would have capital gains to pay. I highly doubt people are hoarding actual gold bullion in their homes or in bank safety deposit boxes.

With record foreclosures and bankruptcies only the rich have stocks worth even messing with.

The dow moving means ZERO to the average person who needs help with jobs, foreclosures and record bankruptcies caused by the massive job loses.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,322,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

The point is that all of those things I mentioned are FAR above the inflation rate. Also, certain foods are increasing such as columbian coffee and sugar. I don't think people bought at the very bottom, and if they did they likely have a lot of investments that were smashed in 2008 and have a net loss. As far as gold is concerned, the only thing I get is something that can have physical delivery. You don't have to hoard much to have a sizable amount of money.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,760,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
With record foreclosures and bankruptcies only the rich have stocks worth even messing with.

The dow moving means ZERO to the average person who needs help with jobs, foreclosures and record bankruptcies caused by the massive job loses.
That's ridiculous. I'm not rich by any means, but I have a 401k and a 529 plan for my daughter and I'm thrilled that they're gaining in value.

My husband was laid off about two weeks ago, but that doesn't detract from the fact that his 401k has been gaining value steadily.

The rise in the market means good things to many people, and certainly not just to the rich.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,760,311 times
Quote:
The worst terrorist attack on American soil ever.
What?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,050,171 times
better cash in quick capitol gains tax is going up under these idiots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies