Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times

Advertisements

The nation's economic crisis has catapulted the number of Americans who lack enough food to the highest level since the government has been keeping track, according to a new federal report, which shows that nearly 50 million people -- including almost one child in four -- struggled last year to get enough to eat.

washingtonpost.com

Is the U.S. really a modern, "First World Country" with numbers like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The nation's economic crisis has catapulted the number of Americans who lack enough food to the highest level since the government has been keeping track, according to a new federal report, which shows that nearly 50 million people -- including almost one child in four -- struggled last year to get enough to eat.

washingtonpost.com

Is the U.S. really a modern, "first world" country with numbers like that?
And 98% percent of American households have a television set. I guess we have an idea of what is truly important to parents, don't we?

Personally, I am more concerned with the statistic that as many as 60 percent of elderly people are undernourished. After all, kids can get free breakfasts and lunches in school, but the elderly cannot.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,854,436 times
Here is a point that might drill through the hard headed/hard nosed Conservatives.

One in four children without adequate food probably will lack adequate health/dental care also. These children will grow up watching demonstrations of overweight senior citizens who protest against UHC while demanding no cuts to their Medicare.

When these children grow up, how motivated will they be to help and care for senior citizens or the elderly?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,039,968 times
that dont explain why they are also so darn overweight? acording to the gov anyway

Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
And 98% percent of American households have a television set. I guess we have an idea of what is truly important to parents, don't we?
Televisions are cheap and are a one-time purchase. The need for food never ends. I'm not sure what your point is, really. Is it that if people didn't buy TVs, they wouldn't have trouble buying food for their kids?

Quote:
kids can get free breakfasts and lunches in school, but the elderly cannot.
And I'd say that children are more helpless than elderly adults. Plus, most children under 6 years old aren't in school.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

429 posts, read 1,117,255 times
I think this number will decrease significantly if parents laid out some priorities. My parents lived in poverty for over a decade, with three kids, putting themselves through college, and we NEVER went hungry. Did we eat uber nice meals all the time like we do now? Of course not, but we did eat 3 meals a day. Free school lunches helped though, I'm not gonna lie.

Also, on that note. I guess I'm a special case in a lot of ways. Lots of my peers DEPENDED on school breakfast and lunch because their parents couldn't make dinner sometimes, sooooo yeah. I guess lots of kids wouldn't have adequate food considering that lil detail.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,854,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Personally, I am more concerned with the statistic that as many as 60 percent of elderly people are undernourished. After all, kids can get free breakfasts and lunches in school, but the elderly cannot.

20yrsinBranson
I didn't see these statistics in the OP's link. Were they there and I missed them? If not, could you please supply a reference or link to those statistics?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
I think this number will decrease significantly if parents laid out some priorities.
Perhaps many parents don't know how to do that. They need help.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,315,110 times
Last year it was record childhood obesity. You still trust 'em ?

Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM

429 posts, read 1,117,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Perhaps many parents don't know how to do that. They need help.
I agree, but if the government started suggesting guidelines, then the conservative whaaambalance will pop out of the shadows and start complaining about the govt trying to raise America's kids again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies