Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM

900 posts, read 674,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
You damn educated, self righteous, Zinfandel sipping Californians and Yankees with your "South is racist" claims wouldn't last five minutes in a predominately black neighborhood in the South, they'd kick your ass.

As for myself, a Southern rural-living white male.......I'd be partying, drinkin beer ,playing cards, shooting ball with em within the same 5 minutes. I know because I've done it before, many times.

Indeed. And then you'd invite them to your place for dinner, right?

Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,751,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Umm, just because someone doesn't have a southern accent doesn't mean they aren't from the south. I lost my Cajun accent after 8 years in the Navy. I've had many people ask me where I'm from originally and they're shocked when I tell them I'm from the same town they're from.
That's true, but they usually have northern accents, not a "neutral" accent (or lack of accent). Plus, if they once had a northern accent and moved to the south, then they might lose that accent. But a southerner living in the south isn't very likely to lose the accent, at least not while still living here. Usually people lose an accent when they move to a place where a different accent is predominant. For example, my uncle has was born and raised here, but married a woman from Northern Virginia and moved there in the early 80s. Now you would never guess he is from TN unless he told you. But he didn't lose his accent until long after he left the south.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,397,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That's true, but they usually have northern accents, not a "neutral" accent (or lack of accent). Plus, if they once had a northern accent and moved to the south, then they might lose that accent. But a southerner living in the south isn't very likely to lose the accent, at least not while still living here. Usually people lose an accent when they move to a place where a different accent is predominant. For example, my uncle has was born and raised here, but married a woman from Northern Virginia and moved there in the early 80s. Now you would never guess he is from TN unless he told you. But he didn't lose his accent until long after he left the south.
I have an aunt & uncle\ cousins who moved to Cannon Texas 10 yrs ago & now have Southern accents.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,672 times
People in the industry, unless they're catering to that crowd, tend to try their best to lose their southern accents, because it does have a connotation to it in the rest of the country. Look at Colbert.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:28 PM

207 posts, read 325,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No offense, gr99a05, but you actually are the reason why the South gets so much grief. Racism. Unless you moderate your opinion, you will be passed up even in the South. You must know that your way of thinking is considered ignorant and dangerous. America will never allow the kind of behavior that some white Southerners cling to & the change is certainly evident when all the large Southerner cities voted for a Black president & states that use to be solid Republican are now Democratic.

You will continue to experience frustration by what you espouse & will find yourself more and more isolated from moral Americans.
I guess everything I just explained in my post went right over your head. You continue to finger point at the South without acknowledging that the South is no different from the rest of the world. The entire world is racist. It is only liberal whites who deny it. And if you are going to finger point at the South, has it ever occured to you how racist most minority groups in this country are?

And Va is NOT a blue state. You haven't kept up with the recent state elections that have been going on. We just elected a Republican governor by a landslide. During the presidential election many Republicans sat out because McCain was too liberal.

How is what I am saying so dangerous? Please tell me. Have I come on here and threatened anyone?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:32 PM

207 posts, read 325,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Well I am a Latino male who has lived in barrios no different than "predominately black neighborhood in the South." The trouble with you guys is that you can't recognize what you are [i.e. old people] who can't accept what is right because insecurity has a vice-like grip on you.
Do you understand that in Latin countries racism is very prevalant? Why is it only whites who get singled out?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Indeed. And then you'd invite them to your place for dinner, right?
Better yet, invite them to go out to dinner in his favorite nice little restaurant in in his neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,217,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Perfectly TRUE. Just look at the prisons. They didn't end up there because they were behaving.

PC-types just don't like to look at truth in the face, because they want to believe in some kind of utopia that doesn't exist, and never will. And worse, they want to make sure anyone with a different opinion is shut up.
And the fact that it's easier for the police to FOCUS on the black community has nothing TO do with the fact there are so many blacks in prison.........yeah, right!

Interesting thing is that there are drugs and law breaking like crazy in South Beach in Miami..........however, the focus of law enforcement down there is in Liberty City, Overtown, etc., etc. Just don't see those big busts over on South Beach where most folks partying there are ultra rich.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,312,469 times
Racism is something that exists EVERYWHERE, so let's just accept it and embrace it as a "fact of life". And you wonder why people "show so much hatred towards the South", let me give you a hint here: IGNORANCE!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,397,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I guess everything I just explained in my post went right over your head. You continue to finger point at the South without acknowledging that the South is no different from the rest of the world. The entire world is racist. It is only liberal whites who deny it. And if you are going to finger point at the South, has it ever occured to you how racist most minority groups in this country are?

And Va is NOT a blue state. You haven't kept up with the recent state elections that have been going on. We just elected a Republican governor by a landslide. During the presidential election many Republicans sat out because McCain was too liberal.

How is what I am saying so dangerous? Please tell me. Have I come on here and threatened anyone?
One question: are you older than 50 yrs old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies