Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM

207 posts, read 325,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I am a Northerner and would never move to the South. This is because there are too many close minded people that refuse to hear anything beyond what they believe. I know this is not the majority of the South, but there is enough of these people to keep me from moving there. I have no idea why people from here would move there other than because of the warmer weather.
Welcome to observing the way 95% of the rest of the world thinks. Why is it only white people who are NOT allowed to be intolerant and close minded, when this seems to be the way most of the world operates. Look at the news every day and you will see what I mean.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is a pretty damn BIG "other than". That IS the biggest reason. People just do not like freezing their asses off 8 months a year. I got sick of the long cold dark winters in Chicago. Don't miss them at all. Left the snow boots and shovel there and didn't look back!
It doesn't matter what your reason is for coming down here. There are a lot of us Southerners down here. We keep breeding. We are what we are. You aren't changing us. Deal with it or leave.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
KevK, I thought you were a native of Alabama. You came from the North? You live in Selma, right?
So it isn't enough that they have taken over Va, NC, and Fla? Why do they need to move on to Alabama?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahJohnson View Post
Well, I happen to love the South. Especially Tennessee! Moving there this summer and can't wait. Southern girls are the best! And there's some pretty darn good whiskey comin' outta there. Can't we all just get along? Geez.
Better enjoy it while it still lasts.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Crude but true. Why there are so many uneducated and backward people in the South is debatable. But the sad reality is that the South has earned every one of it's detractions. The history of the Southern U.S. isn't pretty and the Civil War was America's way of teaching the Southern man [ie. white evangelical] how to behave. Unfortunately the North needs to watch the Southern man closely; that's why the Voting Rights legislation is still in effect in the South because Americans, in general do not trust the Southern people. So long as Southerns accept education than there is no problem because once the majority of people in the South get some smarts they'll no longer be hate toward the South.

Sorry if these words hurt some people but nobody accepts ignorance and bigotry. A fact of life.
So let me get this straight. White liberal northerners don't mind being intolerant towards white southerners. But for some odd reason you are ever so tolerant towards immigrants from the Third World who are 10 times as backwards as white southerners are.

You aren't doing anything to move this country forward. You are hateful and ignorant of reality. I would respect this argument from white liberals up North (about the South being backwards) if y'all weren't such hypocrits by destroying this country even further by constantly welcoming Third World immigrants to come here and live.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Rednecks can be some of the most ignorant creatures on Earth and the South has a large concentration of them. I have no problems with the Southern lifestyle, it is the IGNORANCE of the people that really gives the South a bad name. Segregation, slavery, no one can deny the South has a tradition of ignorance and intolerance.

Rednecks are just countryfolk. Provincial types. You have them in every country in the world. They are not sophisticated like urbanites and we may disagree with them on certain things but there's nothing wrong with them.

You have a MAJOR prejudice issue with them at the same level as racism so you are just as bad.

Be more accepting of others different from yourself.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 PM

805 posts, read 1,511,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
So let me get this straight. White liberal northerners don't mind being intolerant towards white southerners. But for some odd reason you are ever so tolerant towards immigrants from the Third World who are 10 times as backwards as white southerners are.

You aren't doing anything to move this country forward. You are hateful and ignorant of reality. I would respect this argument from white liberals up North (about the South being backwards) if y'all weren't such hypocrits by destroying this country even further by constantly welcoming Third World immigrants to come here and live.

They want to feel superior so they put Southerners down. Must be some kind of IDENTITY CRISIS and MAJOR DEEP-SEATED INSECURITY.

Every Southerner I've met was friendly, polite, and always ready to assist. Northerners, learn some manners and stop being rude.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry if these words hurt some people but nobody accepts ignorance and bigotry. A fact of life.

Wrong. The only people in the world who DON'T accept ignorance and bigotry are white liberals who live in exclusively white sheltered areas of Europe, Canada, and America. I hate to tell you, but you need to look at the news. Bigotry is part of human nature, my friend. Every race is guilty of it. It occurs everywhere in the world.

I am getting sick and tired of whites being the only people in the world who get punished constantly for it, when everyone does it. Liberals are doing whatever they can to destroy Western Civilization. You waste your time going after patriotic, hard working , white southerners who's ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War, while giving Third World immigrants and their backwards INTOLERANT cultures a pass, by allowing them to live here more and more.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Pointing the finger at other states isn't going to help improve the very poor reputation of the South. Half the problem is that Southerners are so thin-skinned and defensive.

You can rag on California all you want & I'd probably agree with some of your criticisms but California is not hated for the reasons people hate the South.

BTW, we do not import carrots from China!
The thing here that liberals like you don't want to acknowledge is that there is a huge demographic difference between the South and the rest of the country. Whether you like it or not, any area of the country that has large numbers of blacks and hispanics ranks pretty low in a lot of areas.

I am ready to challenge you on this. You won't be able to find me any majority black or hispanic part of the country that has low violence, good schools etc....

Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Another example why Southerners are mocked. If you can't at least admit that the South is viewed poorly by most Americans than you will never know how to improve yourself.

Okay, I think there is a misunderstanding on what my original question was. I asked Northerners to explain why they come South even if they "hate " southerners. Nobody has really given me a legitimate explanation (why it is okay to bash the South when you live here).

Discussing whether or not the South is a bad place, is to me, a matter of opinion. And I think Northerners are hypocrits by choosing to live down here while hating it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.