Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

Russia defaulted on their debt in August of 1998, but it "bounced back from the August 1998 financial crash with surprising speed." (Wikipedia) The ruble is still with us and Russia is doing just fine, thank you.

If the US had to default in a similar fashion my guess is that we'd weather it just as well. There'd be a few years of hard times, but America would come back revitalized and more robust than ever before, it's books cleared of trillions in debt. If the world didn't castigate Russia for defaulting, then why should it castigate us? We'd still retain superpower status and still have our abundant natural resources, chief of which is 350 million people ready to put their backs to the plow and begin to rebuild this great country of ours. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of time. Why not just do it and be done with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Why not just do it and be done with it?
Wow. Just wow.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,555 times
why don't we just accept our failed financial polices and pay it off?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,944,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
why don't we just accept our failed financial polices and pay it off?
Didn't you get the memo? It's the new mindset of many Americans. "Hey, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, I live in a house I can't afford and I live waaaaay beyond my means! I can no longer keep up financially so I'll just stop making payment and walk away from it all...problem solved!"

This country is going down the tubes.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Didn't you get the memo? It's the new mindset of many Americans. "Hey, I'm in debt up to my eyeballs, I live in a house I can't afford and I live waaaaay beyond my means! I can no longer keep up financially so I'll just stop making payment and walk away from it all...problem solved!"

This country is going down the tubes.
We're going to default anyway. It's a given. It's not a question of if, just when, so shouldn't we get on with it and give ourselves a fresh start? I reiterate: Russia did it. The world didn't end. The world didn't cut them off. America didn't utter a peep, even though we'd just lost billions of dollars. They were back on their feet in just a few years freed of that massive debt stone around their necks. Please, no ridiculous arguments of "Just because they did it, does that make it right?" On a geopolitical scale a nation does what it has to do to right the ship and start over, otherwise we're finished if we continue down this insane path of piling billions upon billions in interest payments.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Russia defaulted on their debt in August of 1998, but it "bounced back from the August 1998 financial crash with surprising speed." (Wikipedia) The ruble is still with us and Russia is doing just fine, thank you.
They are? Currently, Russia's GDP is lower than that of Italy. Besides, Russia is a net exporter of energy, unlike the US.

If Uncle Sam decides to stop paying his bills, the dollar plunges. OPEC will move off it right quick. And you won't be able to buy a damn thing overseas. Sure, American-made stuff will be wildly underpriced and thus exportable, but if you can't import oil, what's left of the US manufacturing industry comes to a screeching halt.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,701 times
The world economy did not hinge on Russia's success in 1998 as it has America's of every decade since the 1940's. The U.S. dollar is the currency of safe harbor. Every nation has a piece of the U.S. Treasury. If we default the world drops into crisis, which extinguishes our chance of recovery.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:39 PM

96 posts, read 130,542 times
I do agree with the sentiment that it's only a matter of time. At the outside, I'm giving it 10 to 15 years, at which time enough baby-boomers will be retiring to cause medicare and social security to default. They are effectively broke, as the government 'borrowed' out of social security to fund operating expenses and of course never repaid.

It'll happen well before that if some large natural disaster occurs, or we are nuked or have a large biological attack take place.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
Three of the more important reasons you are wrong.

1. Russia did not have the debt load we have.
2. The Ruble was not/is not the world currency.
3. T-Bonds are currently the preferred way many if not most central banks hold their foreign currency denominated reserves if we default they default and if they default everyone defaults. Essentially it would be similar to East Asian financial crisis of 1997 only global and much much worse.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM

96 posts, read 130,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Three of the more important reasons you are wrong.

1. Russia did not have the debt load we have.
2. The Ruble was not/is not the world currency.
3. T-Bonds are currently the preferred way many if not most central banks hold their foreign currency denominated reserves if we default they default and if they default everyone defaults. Essentially it would be similar to East Asian financial crisis of 1997 only global and much much worse.
Actually T-Bonds are the largest share of what they hold, but interest has largely shifted to IMF Bonds in the last few months. The rest of the world isn't stupid. They are going to try to localize the damage as much as possible and not get pulled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies