Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't understand...the Right reference the CBO numbers like it was the bible when talking about the health care cost when it speaks against this administration, but when they report on findings that support this administratioin, its spin.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing
You know that if the CBO report said that the only effects were negative, some people would be trumpeting it like gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,128,721 times
OK , what did Bush do to bring down the economy ? I know this is his fault .
Will the green jobs be lost now that Bushes global warming was a lie ?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Between 600,000 and 1.6 million jobs were created or saved through September as a result of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, according to a Congressional Budget Office report.

The data, released Monday, say the real inflation-adjusted gross domestic product was 1.2 percent to 3.2 percent higher than it would have been had the $787 billion stimulus package not passed in February. Also, the stimulus lowered the unemployment by between 0.3 and 0.9 percentage points, according to the report.
POLITICO 44: Report: At least 600K jobs created - POLITICO.com

Seriously. "Between 600,000 and 1.6 million" should be enough verbiage to make the whole country roll its collective eyes.

That's like saying a Senator is worth between $1M and $500M on financial disclosure reports. There's nothing but hidden lies somewhere in a spectrum that broad.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,499,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
All of the reports I've seen have it continuing to climb well past the 8% that the politicians promised the stimulus would hold it to...
That would actually be all the reports by right-wing disinformation types claiming that there had been such a promise once the actual unemployment rate went above 8%. No such actual promise was ever made by anyone. Although the consensus among private forecasters at the time was that unemployment in 2009 without the stimulus would peak at 8.00% to 8.25%...

Old 12-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Maybe it is just me.
I think you're on to something. Although there do seem to be a few other right-wingers who don't understand how their checkbook balance can be lower today than it was two weeks ago when their paycheck was just deposited last Tuesday...

Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Seriously. "Between 600,000 and 1.6 million" should be enough verbiage to make the whole country roll its collective eyes.

That's like saying a Senator is worth between $1M and $500M on financial disclosure reports. There's nothing but hidden lies somewhere in a spectrum that broad.
They are reporting the limits of the confidence interval. Sort of like when you see a poll and it says the margin of error is 3%. Garden variety statitical analysis. It's done all the time in business, government, and academia...

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't understand...the Right reference the CBO numbers like it was the bible when talking about the health care cost when it speaks against this administration, but when they report on findings that support this administratioin, its spin.

Well, it is spin when the unemployment numbers are rising. Let's review a little simple math. If we lose more jobs than we gain, unemployment rises. If we gain more jobs than we lose, unemployment falls. Do you understand now?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I think you're on to something. Although there do seem to be a few other right-wingers who don't understand how their checkbook balance can be lower today than it was two weeks ago when their paycheck was just deposited last Tuesday...

Of course, my "academic economist". But if we look at the current account balance, it is indeed a net reduction from the time the check was cashed.

Let's review again for those that are stoned or drunk (Saggy- put down that bong and think for a second). When the number of new jobs is greater than the number of jobs lost, unemployment falls. When the number of new jobs is less than the number of lost jobs, unemployment rises. I understand that in the fog of liberalism simple concepts can be confusing, but unemployment numbers do not lie- Obama is failing. If we were to use leftists Saggy logic, we would all be much more happy at an unemployment rate of 45%, as there would be 55% "saved jobs". That is just a TON of "saved jobs". Obama is such a genius- he can even make liberal spin look rational.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Ever stop to consider it might be rising slower?

Aka that without the stimulus there'd be an additional 1 million people out of work?

I'm not saying it's necessarily true, but can you see the logic there? Yes? No? ...It's not really that hard.

Rising slower? I love that one. If I am drowning, I will be happier that I am dead in 7 feet of water, rather than 10 feet. That is certainly progress- liberal style.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM

10 posts, read 9,989 times
Quote:
Recipients report that about 640,000 jobs were created or
retained with ARRA funding through September 2009.2
Such reports, however, do not provide a comprehensive
estimate of the law’s impact on employment in the
United States. That impact may be higher or lower than
the reported number for several reasons (in addition to
any issues about the quality of the data in the reports).3
First, it is impossible to determine how many of the
reported jobs would have existed in the absence of the
stimulus package. Second, the reports filed by recipients
measure only the jobs created by employers who received
ARRA funding directly or by their immediate subcontractors
(so-called primary and secondary recipients), not
by lower-level subcontractors. Third, the reports do not
attempt to measure the number of jobs that may have
been created or retained indirectly as greater income for
recipients and their employees boosted demand for products
and services. Fourth, the recipients’ reports cover
only certain appropriations made under ARRA, which
encompass only about one-quarter of the total amount
spent by the government or conveyed through tax reductions
in ARRA through September 2009. The reports
do not measure the effects of other provisions of the stimulus
package, such as tax cuts and transfer payments to
individuals.
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/106xx/doc...11-30-ARRA.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies