Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Persoanlly;because I beleive marriage is beteen a man and woman.Seems that when put to a vote most see it the same way.
Is it even fair to give the State to permission to give rights to other citizens? I find it to be criminal that voters are allowed to take rights away from a group of law abiding tax paying citizens who are unpopular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It doesn't phase me, but do I think we should create the same level of acceptance for such a lifestyle as heterosexual couples receive? Not really.
Even with all of the evidence that people can't change their sexual orientation, you still call it a "lifestyle" and think it's fine to discriminate in the way that you've described?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
I believe that God/nature/whatever makes us gay or straight.

So if being gay is so wrong, that means God really screwed up. Hmmm. Does not compute to most Christians, so gays must be in the wrong.

<sarcasm on> Everyone knows you can just choose to be gay or not, kind of like flipping a light switch. Gays are just trying to prove a point or rebel against something. They should just get married to a member of the opposite sex and everything will be a-ok. (seen this many times here in the South. Daddy is so obviously gay, but has a wife and kids!) <sarcasm end>

I wish folks could just live their lives as they were made. Live and let live. And if Chastity Bono wants to become a man, I say more power to him. Who are we to judge? A lot of complicated things happen in utero and sometimes folks turn out different than others. Deal with it.
It makes me sick how some of us can justify hatred of gays because the Bible tells us to.

And yeah, the argument that allowing gays to marry will corrupt traditional marriage is a joke. Honestly, look around! Gov Sanford in SC has an affair, Speaker of the House Glen Richardson of GA has affair with utility company lobbyist (and passes laws to benefit her employer)... and on and on. Everyday people take vows in front of God about "till death do us part" but throw the marriage in the trash when they get bored. Talk about a shame.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:56 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even with all of the evidence that people can't change their sexual orientation, you still call it a "lifestyle" and think it's fine to discriminate in the way that you've described?
I believe homosexual men are hardwired so to say.

Women....I don't know....there seems to be an awful lot of "experimenting" among supposedly hetereosexual women, there seems to be a lot more bisexuals and midlife "orientation switches" with women.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I believe homosexual men are hardwired so to say.

Women....I don't know....there seems to be an awful lot of "experimenting" among supposedly hetereosexual women, there seems to be a lot more bisexuals and midlife "orientation switches" with women.
Good observation. It is easier for us all to think of each other as being in a permanent category in terms of sexual orientation, but women's sexuality and orientation does seem to have a much greater fluidity than men's.

I'm sure we still have much to learn about human sexuality and what makes us tick.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
The question that has to be answered completely is, what causes homosexuality. And while there is definitely a strong correlation between genetics, gene penetrance, and hormone levels of men that become homosexuals. There is no absolute proof of why many men become homosexuals, so many believe there is also a huge environmental aspect at play with men.

The proof of genetics vs environmental factors is easy to compare if you look at the number of lesbians against the number of gays. There are about two times more gays than lesbians. Scientists have done studies on women, and have proven all women have a physical arousal to seeing two women together sexually(even if the women weren't mentally aroused).

Basically, all woman could technically be lesbians, or all women could be heterosexual, the outcome is cultural. So lets compare that back with men.

There are many men that have had homosexual thoughts, or have been somewhat attracted to other men at times, but that doesn't make them gay. There are even men who have had homosexual relations that consider themselves heterosexual and end up married and happy to be with a woman.

The end problem is that, even if homosexuality does have a heavy basis in genetics. There is still a heavy environmental factor to men and woman in becoming homosexual.

The question then is, should it matter if someone is a homosexual? If half of all homosexuals could have just as easily been heterosexual under the right conditions, then should we push them to be heterosexual? Or should we just be more accepting of homosexuals.

If half of all men become gay by choice and half are born gay, how do we protect the rights of the gays that can't help it, while encouraging the "at risk" men to be straight.

If homosexual behavior is partially "learned", then by making it where homosexuality is considered "normal" would definitely cause an increase in the number of homosexuals(which has been proven to be true). So the problem becomes split based on how you feel about homosexuality.

My problem is that, I worry about the happiness of homosexuals. They can never have kids together(adoption aside). And while many heterosexuals choose not to have children. I think having children is a huge goal of many homosexual couples which is why they are pushing so hard to adopt, because they feel unfulfilled in being incapable of having children(and adopted children aren't their blood). So if we create a system where there are more homosexuals by making it more and more culturally acceptable, we are just going to leave more and more people discontent with their lives.

I am against gay marriage or any other act that might increase the number of homosexuals. I also would like to greatly expand genetic research and focus on preventative measures for homosexuality(like monitoring of hormone levels in utero at a certain stage of developement) because I hate the idea of anyone having to live a poor quality of life.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:09 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The question that has to be answered completely is, what causes homosexuality. And while there is definitely a strong correlation between genetics, gene penetrance, and hormone levels of men that become homosexuals. There is no absolute proof of why many men become homosexuals, so many believe there is also a huge environmental aspect at play with men.

The proof of genetics vs environmental factors is easy to compare if you look at the number of lesbians against the number of gays. There are about two times more gays than lesbians. Scientists have done studies on women, and have proven all women have a physical arousal to seeing two women together sexually(even if the women weren't mentally aroused).

Basically, all woman could technically be lesbians, or all women could be heterosexual, the outcome is cultural. So lets compare that back with men.

There are many men that have had homosexual thoughts, or have been somewhat attracted to other men at times, but that doesn't make them gay. There are even men who have had homosexual relations that consider themselves heterosexual and end up married and happy to be with a woman.

The end problem is that, even if homosexuality does have a heavy basis in genetics. There is still a heavy environmental factor to men and woman in becoming homosexual.

The question then is, should it matter if someone is a homosexual? If half of all homosexuals could have just as easily been heterosexual under the right conditions, then should we push them to be heterosexual? Or should we just be more accepting of homosexuals.

If half of all men become gay by choice and half are born gay, how do we protect the rights of the gays that can't help it, while encouraging the "at risk" men to be straight.

If homosexual behavior is partially "learned", then by making it where homosexuality is considered "normal" would definitely cause an increase in the number of homosexuals(which has been proven to be true). So the problem becomes split based on how you feel about homosexuality.

My problem is that, I worry about the happiness of homosexuals. They can never have kids together(adoption aside). And while many heterosexuals choose not to have children. I think having children is a huge goal of many homosexual couples which is why they are pushing so hard to adopt, because they feel unfulfilled in being incapable of having children(and adopted children aren't their blood). So if we create a system where there are more homosexuals by making it more and more culturally acceptable, we are just going to leave more and more people discontent with their lives.

I am against gay marriage or any other act that might increase the number of homosexuals. I also would like to greatly expand genetic research and focus on preventative measures for homosexuality(like monitoring of hormone levels in utero at a certain stage of developement) because I hate the idea of anyone having to live a poor quality of life.

The only act that increases the number of homosexuals is procreation by heterosexuals. Preventing gays from getting married has nothing to do with how many homosexuals there are. Gay marriage does not result in there being more gays, just more gay marriages. The quality of my life is not poor and it has nothing to do with my being gay . Could you please name an act that will increase the number of homosexuals. I cannot think of any, other than heterosexual sex. Maybe you should ban straight marriage and heterosexual sex then.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:36 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The only act that increases the number of homosexuals is procreation by heterosexuals. Preventing gays from getting married has nothing to do with how many homosexuals there are. Gay marriage does not result in there being more gays, just more gay marriages. The quality of my life is not poor and it has nothing to do with my being gay . Could you please name an act that will increase the number of homosexuals. I cannot think of any, other than heterosexual sex. Maybe you should ban straight marriage and heterosexual sex then.
While there is conslusive evidence that most homosexual men are that way from factors they had no control over(mainly genetics). There is also proof birth order plays a part in homosexual behavior. Overprotective mothers, distant fathers. And just home environments in general. Brothers have a higher probabily of becoming gay than the general population, but at the same time, adopted brothers had about the same probability as non-adopted brothers.

The truth is, homosexuality is BOTH genetic AND learned. By making homosexuality more known and accepted, the inevitable outcome is the behavior will become more widespread. That doesn't mean that it will become a majority.

Lets pretend that right now 5% of the population is gay. Half of them are gay genetically, half are environmental. Statistics show a much larger percentage of the male population have had either homosexual fantasies or other attractions, or have actually done a homosexual act. The truth is, an additional 5-10% of the male population are probably susceptible to becoming homosexual also(or at the very least bi) if alternative sexual orientations became more acceptable.

You can go no further than the empirical evidence that shows over time that as gays have become more accepted in society, their numbers have swelled. And while I realize that homosexuals would NEVER be the majority. I could see as much as 15% of the male population becoming homosexual in the future.

And while I am not fearful of homosexuals, I am not homophobic. I just can't imagine myself being happy ever being gay, even if it was acceptable. Because I would still feel greatly limited. So I would not want anyone who otherwise wouldn't have ended up homosexual, to end up homosexual. It would set themselves up for a life of discontent(primarily because of the lack of the capability to have children).

And yes I realize not everyone wants to have children. But MOST PEOPLE as they get older change their minds. Thats why you have those weirdo 60-70 year old men and women who are having scientists artificially enseminate them or their wives so they can finally become a father. And movies like Baby Mama.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Homosexuality is a sin. If I were to vote for gay marriage I would be telling the world and more importantly God that I approved of a sin.

Since I do not approve of sin (any sin, period) I will always, when asked, vote no on any gay marriage proposals.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The truth is, homosexuality is BOTH genetic AND learned.
I disagree. I don't know of any credible science that says homosexuality is learned, and there's no conclusive science that says its genetic. There's lots of evidence that suggests sexual orientation is determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb, but this is not conclusive either.

Quote:
You can go no further than the empirical evidence that shows over time that as gays have become more accepted in society, their numbers have swelled.
Obviously, as it's become more acceptable, it's been easier for people to be openly gay, making it appear that their numbers have increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies