Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
KABUL (Reuters) - Afghan women are among the worst off in the world, violence against them is "endemic" and Afghanistan's government fails to protect them from crimes such as rape and murder, a rights group said on Monday.
source: Afghan women among worst off in world-rights group | World | Reuters

Bush could have helped the oppressed Afghan women. He really could have made a difference. Instead he chose to pursue a war in Iraq under false pretenses while ignoring the plight of Afghan women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Oil was more important to him than women or civil rights.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM

163 posts, read 215,463 times
Don't stress yourself over it. I'm sure Obama will correct any wrongs you want to blame Bush for.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Yeah..Obama just authorized 30K more troops. Has Obama mentioned he'd save the women ?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM

366 posts, read 297,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Bush could have helped the oppressed Afghan women. He really could have made a difference. Instead he chose to pursue a war in Iraq under false pretenses while ignoring the plight of Afghan women.
Spend your whole day obsessing with Bush?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Has he even produced his birth certificate yet?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowman View Post
Don't stress yourself over it. I'm sure Obama will correct any wrongs you want to blame Bush for.
You may not be stressed over it but what do you think these women feel?

From OP's link:

Quote:
Afghan women are among the worst off in the world, violence against them is "endemic" and Afghanistan's government fails to protect them from crimes such as rape and murder, a rights group said on Monday.

Human Rights Watch said in a report the situation for women in Afghanistan is "dismal in every area."

Old 12-07-2009, 06:08 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
I think if Al Qaeda is taken out eventually a new sort of terrorist group will seize power and overthrow the Taliban. Not that a new government would give women perfect rights, it in no way can't be worse than how they were treated under the Taliban. A good friend of mine is from Afghanistan and he explained to me how these terrorist groups work. People in America don't realize it is a Civil War among them. As soon as the Al Qaeda is taken out a new group will emerge and likely overthrow the Taliban. All Americans can do is hope that this group isn't so openly hostile towards the West. There is no way to bring total peace and democracy to Afghanistan. It just gets better in small incriments. I am hoping for the best but it is a giant cluster****.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I don't know what they feel and neither do you. No one knows "just how another feels". Except Bill Clinton. He was good at "feeling our pain."
Anyway, what does Obama plan to do? I'm sure his loyal liberal followers will turn a blind eye and a deaf ear when he never does anything either.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Did you even read your article?

Quote:
Afghanistan is a deeply conservative, Muslim country where women have only been allowed to return to work and education since 2001, when the Taliban were overthrown by U.S.-led forces.
Quote:
"Whereas the trend had clearly been positive for women's rights from 2001-2005, the trend now is negative in many areas ... it is a reflection of the power of conservative leaders who want to deny women their basic rights," the report said.
Quote:
When President Hamid Karzai was first elected president of Afghanistan in 2004, he appointed three women ministers.
It just shows how inept and corrupt Karzai is. The removal of the Taliban did help women's rights but after Karzai, an elected official, took over it's gone downhill. I suppose you wanted Bush to install a puppet government? Wouldn't that be contrary to democratic principals. Hopefully Obama's plan to help the government remove these fringe groups and their intimidation Karzai can move back towards an actual democracy. What do you want him to do if he can't? Install a puppet government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies