Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Sorry, but it ain't working that way. Calling people neo-Confederates or neo-secessionists is just a red herring. The South is the most "traditionally patriotic" part of the country. Sure, this is an opinion on my part, but -- among many other things -- all one has to do is look at where a disproportionate number of people have always joined and served in the United states military. And/or where there is the most vehement opposition to disrespect of American symbols. Burning an American Flag down here is not likely to gain one much good will.

But what does the 21st Century have to do with it? (Or being bi-racial?). Another strawman. Does it translate into no longer honoring ones heritage and history? Sorry, Calsur, but all you do with most of your posts is make extremely simplistic and sophomoric arguments. I can give it a bit of a pass because of your age and limited understanding of the whole nature of history . But still, it seems that even some of those who would otherwise be on your side so far as concerns Southern icons keep your arguments at an arms length (with certain exceptions...but then again, the two that most come to mind have what can only be described as pathological hated for the South and continually get rebutted in their "arguments")

Finally, your statement "Confederates need to understand they are a shrinking minority". First, you need to define the term in a modern day sense apart from someone who takes an opposite view than you do, and making broad applications that will suit whatever you want it to mean at any given time. As it is, I have noticed more and more people beginning to see that there is more to it than the traditional winners history that it was all a righteous crusade to "free the slaves."

But perhaps more importantly, a lot of people -- who otherwise would never have given it a thought one way or another -- are starting to get turned off by political correctness and demands that all reminders of the parts of history they personally find "offensive" (even if groundless) should eliminated and removed. Bottom line is, it is the "PC" crowd who are becoming the shrinking minority.

BTW -- enjoy your "winter break". We don't get out until the end of this week!
Are you teaching this week, reb? Are you a good teacher? Do you have pupils who call you names?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
So vandalism of a historic monument is appropriate in a twisted way? I hope then that those monuments still exist long after I see them, far far into the future.
When are you planning to visit a confederate monument? Maybe we could hook-up & throw eggs at the same time!

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
So vandalism of a historic monument is appropriate in a twisted way? I hope then that those monuments still exist long after I see them, far far into the future.
Those monuments will be neglected, then razed at some point. Time marches on and in the future there won't be anyone with any interest in a short-lived failed state like the confederacy. Another few generations and it will be as relevant as the French & Indian War.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
When are you planning to visit a confederate monument? Maybe we could hook-up & throw eggs at the same time!
Er, no bud, it'll probably be somewhere East of the Mississippi river, and I think disrepecting monuments is lower than low.

Someday, I don't know when, but the sooner I get to the south the better (I'm tired of the west).

Old 12-15-2009, 10:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Are you teaching this week, reb? Are you a good teacher? Do you have pupils who call you names?
Probably!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Another few generations and it will be as relevant as the French & Indian War.
The French & Indian War was quite significant.. As a matter of fact it was a major catalyst for our revolution against Great Britain. I fail to see how you can use one of the most important early global conflicts as an example of irrelevance....

Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The French & Indian War was quite significant.. As a matter of fact it was a major catalyst for our revolution against Great Britain. I fail to see how you can use one of the most important early global conflicts as an example of relevance....

I'm not downplaying its significance in the context of the times. But the percentage of people alive today in the USA who could tell you much, if anything, about it is vanishingly small.

Interest in the confederacy will likewise wane.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
CS, you've talked about joining the Marines. I hope you do and get a better understanding of fighting for your flag and history of your country.

What you are purposing is against the law. If you do something like this it could screw up you chance of entering the service. If your going to discuss adult topics please respond in an adult manner.

Kids throw eggs.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Probably!
When I get mad at teachers I give them the finger under my desk

Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
When I get mad at teachers I give them the finger under my desk
And it makes you feel better? Because it accomplishes nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies