Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Confederate Monuments Be Torn Down?
Yes 17 10.30%
No 148 89.70%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 AM

22,214 posts, read 19,507,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBusta View Post
I am completely opposed to the ideals behind the Confederacy but feel more strongly that we should not become a society that attempts to eradicate or revise its own history.
I agree with that, but as I stated earlier, the problem is these monuments are viewed as a source of pride, celebration and appreciation. While we should not eradicate or revise our own history we shouldn't be celebrating and rewarding those who chose to leave the United States by having monuments to honor them.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,952,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
these monuments are viewed as a source of pride, celebration and appreciation
Thank you, exactly.

Ask a blackman who is descended from slaves, ask how they feel about confederate monuments.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,243,858 times
Text of the Confederate Constitution
Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

Note the differences.

Confederate States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Preamble to the Confederate Constitution begins: "We, the people of the Confederate States, each State acting in its sovereign and independent character..."
Their view on international slave trade -
Sec. 9. (I) The importation of negroes of the African race from any foreign country other than the slaveholding States or Territories of the United States of America, is hereby forbidden; and Congress is required to pass such laws as shall effectually prevent the same.
(2) Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy.
Something that would be appreciated today -
(10) All bills appropriating money shall specify in Federal currency the exact amount of each appropriation and the purposes for which it is made; and Congress shall grant no extra compensation to any public contractor, officer, agent, or servant, after such contract shall have been made or such service rendered.
(20) Every law, or resolution having the force of law, shall relate to but one subject, and that shall be expressed in the title.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:26 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
I do not care what the confederate flag or their monuments mean to you - good old boys; to me and my black brothers, they both are icons of RACISM and are leftovers from last few decades. So yes, I don't want monuments that worship and celebrate the slave south's agenda. A grave or memorial, depending on content I'm cool with.

So I take it you want to re-write history? History is history. You should join some cause that fights against countries that still have slavery.
The vast majority see the confederate flag as associated with racist groups BUT the confederate flag was the flag of the south and it's original history cannot be held responsible for racist groups that decided use it.

Does the racist group the Black Panthers have a flag?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,469,718 times
Be a good way to start another War. and this time we got real guns.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:59 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,041,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I agree with that, but as I stated earlier, the problem is these monuments are viewed as a source of pride, celebration and appreciation. While we should not eradicate or revise our own history we shouldn't be celebrating and rewarding those who chose to leave the United States by having monuments to honor them.
When the Nazi's seized power, one of the first things they did was remove any monuments or statues that celebrated the 'old ways' in Germany/Prussia. They had a similar attitude of your own, any source of pride, celebration, or appreciation of the past was dangerous to their new order. They replaced the monuments with Nazi propaganda or Romanesque statues.

And for the fellow who asked, the Black Panthers did have a flag, they were a political party after all. They also supported secession movements to claim Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina as the "Republic of New Afrika". One of those double standards prevents the movement from being called treasonous..

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,157,518 times
Quote:
I do not care what the confederate flag or their monuments mean to you - good old boys; to me and my black brothers, they both are icons of RACISM and are leftovers from last few decades. So yes, I don't want monuments that worship and celebrate the slave south's agenda. A grave or memorial, depending on content I'm cool with.
You crossed the line with the 'good old boys' comment. Does that mean that you are now open to the description I have of you as someone who wants to eradicate a point in our nation's history as if it didn't exist?

Fair game?

You're not the "history guy" you claim to be, or you would have kept that amatuerish comment to yourself. Real history buff's get it. You clearly don't.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,015,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You crossed the line with the 'good old boys' comment. Does that mean that you are now open to the description I have of you as someone who wants to eradicate a point in our nation's history as if it didn't exist?

Fair game?
Agreed.

I personally will keep my flags and overwhelmingly appreciate every Davis, Lee, Jackson, Johnston, Bragg, Breckinridge, and Forrest statue across the south. (when I get there of course )

Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
Quote:
Do you want all evidence of slavery scrubbed clean, too? History is history. It shouldn't be remade, erased or shoved in the closet.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:15 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,678,786 times
The monuments are a memorial to what was objectively an evil war in support of an evil system. On the other hand, many of the dead were poor whites who were almost as badly victimized by the southern power structure as the slaves.

I say let the southern states and towns keep their second place trophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies