Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 01:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times

Advertisements

Someone with the username of "stranded and lonely" posting their opposition to giving or receiving gifts.

Hmm....

I personally enjoy giving gifts and finding good things for the people I love. It's a lot of fun to do so.

To each his own and if it's something you don't want to do, then don't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,082 times
Quote:
I am philosophically against exchanging Christmas Gifts with Adults
Then don't.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
I think that the money people spend on Christmas Presents for ADULT friends or relatives would still be spent in other ways if no presents were purchased.

For example, my Aunt who really does not like me (or me her) gave me a sweater for Christmas. It was a color I did not like and seemed to be of poor quality. But I wore it anyway on occasion. If she did not purchase me that sweater I would have bought my own sweater (in a color and style I would have liked better). The money I had to spend on her would have gone towards other purchases. The final result is the same amount of money goes through the economy.

This is the first year I have actually told everyone that I will not accept any gifts or give any gifts. They looked at me like I had two heads. Will see what happens.

If they give me gifts, should I reject them and give them back reminding them of my formal letter and statement that I would not be giving or accepting any Christmas Gifts?
It's starting to become clear why you are "stranded and lonely."

Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
Please do not reject gifts that people give you...be gracious, thank them and should you decide not to keep them take them to a charity who can use them.

Personally, we give gifts and we always put a good amount of thought into them and consider the person we are buying for...we also give to our favorite charities.

To say people should not be spending during a recession is just sillty...how do you propose the U.S. gets out of a recession if there is a spending freeze?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded and Lonely View Post
I was hoping to start a debate about the pros and cons of exchanging Holiday Gifts with adult relatives and friends. Yes, I know we can all decide to do what we feel is best but this is a debate board and would be interested in hearing other peoples opinions.
Maybe we've all had enough of these debates.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I agree with the OP. I hate the gift exchange, where everyone spends money but you only get what other people think you might like, which usually ends up as something you would never buy in the first place.

My extended family always did a gift exchange where you drew one person randomly to give to. But this year they decided to all pitch money into a charity as a family instead. I think it's a much better idea than getting a gift card for a store I would never go to.
good for your family but that isn't something all of us like to do. Yes, we do the gift exchange as well, we draw a name, we spend between $75 and $100 and we get a list from the person we drew as to what they want. This has worked for us for about 15 years...What works for one family may not work for all families.

Nita

Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I spend the end of the year providing gifts in the names of my friends to different charities like foodbanks in their hometowns.

We don't need anything for ourselves so the gifts are thoughtful and support each other's belief systems.

I buy things for my friends whenever I see them; they get them when I mail them off to them; rarely at the holidays, I'm just not that organized any more.
like the idea of giving just to be giving. As for being organized, that I agree with, it is harder as the years go by. My husband is the type that thinks if it can be done today, you should have done it a week ago and I think if it can be done today, it wait til tomorrow.

Nita

Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
I totally agree. Instead of gifts for close friends this year, we're doing a cookie swap and each of us is going to hold a holiday dinner. That way we get time with each other, and can show that we were thinking about the other without getting into loads of debt.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:25 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Ok your gift is going back!

Old 12-13-2009, 03:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I totally agree. Instead of gifts for close friends this year, we're doing a cookie swap and each of us is going to hold a holiday dinner. That way we get time with each other, and can show that we were thinking about the other without getting into loads of debt.
I like the idea of each family holding a holiday dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies