Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:04 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,143 times

Advertisements

They are portrayed as greedy monsters and the government should monitor their pay. Why aren't Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and others not villified as well? What about Streisand? Just who CAN make a lot of money and not have to feel like they're stealing from the mouths of babes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:10 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,267,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
They are portrayed as greedy monsters and the government should monitor their pay. Why aren't Steve Jobs, Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and others not villified as well? What about Streisand? Just who CAN make a lot of money and not have to feel like they're stealing from the mouths of babes?
Probably because as far as I know, those people are well known for their charitable donations. One can be rich but as long as they're helping others, that is more positive in my book.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Insurance executives who make exhorbitant bloated wages while denying health care to paying customers are the TRUE Death Panels and are rightly villified by decent people. No, they do NOT EARN hourly wages in 6 figures...NO one is that valuable.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,783,748 times
I don't think CEO's are bad people. I think people just get frustrated when a select few control the majority of the wealth (no matter what economic system). I dislike the "earning potential" of Actors, Athletes, and CEO's the same .

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Insurance executives who make exhorbitant bloated wages while denying health care to paying customers are the TRUE Death Panels and are rightly villified by decent people. No, they do NOT EARN hourly wages in 6 figures...NO one is that valuable.
Ooh can you attempt to be close to accurate in your envy? The average CEO earns $5240 per hour, and while its a ton of money, its no where close to 6 figures..

Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,532,090 times
Myself, it's the golden parachutes that bother me. I'd like a job that rewards me for failure.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
CEOs are villified because they are greedy... but because they did not EARN that much from what they do... CEOs, athletes, actors don't earn the amount of money they have received... why do people villify CEOs instead of athletes and actors/actresses? For the same reason they want to sleep (so to speak) with athletes and actors/actresses... hypocrites to yell about CEOs and not take a broad look at professions which earn more than they deserve.....

Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Myself, it's the golden parachutes that bother me. I'd like a job that rewards me for failure.
Actually golden parachutes can be rewards for success.

They come about when another company wants to buy the one you manage, it could be for failure, like you pointed, because they think you are mis-managing the companies assets, but it could come from another company thinking you ran things so successfully that they want to take advantage of the profits/revenue stream you have built up..

Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You see, that's the problem with generalizing. There are many different types of "insurance executives" because there are many different types of insurances. Not every insurance company offers health insurance and, likewise, not every health insurer limits their insurance product to health insurance. So the notion that insurance executives make their money solely from health insurance is bogus. And as far as insurance companies making decisions based on the insurance contract that is in force I would think that to hold down costs they have an obligation to other insureds to do that. Otherwise if they pay out every claim--whether it has merit or not--simply means increasing premiums for other customers. By the way the rate of claim denials is double under Medicare (about 6%) compared to private insurance (about 3%). But don't let facts get in the way of a good anti-capitalist screed.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:39 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,464,761 times
Quote:
1) I don't think they are stealing from the mouths of babes. Maybe from babies.
2) Barbara Streisand is a singer and actor, not head of a company. You don't invest your money in Streisand.
3) The CEOs you are talking about CORRUPTED the financial world. They introduced standards that inevitably led to the failure of US economy. Once the magnitude of their failure was revealed, they continued demanding the same (insane) monetary compensation as before. As if nothing happened. That includes bankrupt companies.
4) Nobody, no matter how talented, is worth salaries and bonuses of $100M a year. Nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies