Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,554,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
If it starts getting globally cold you can. It's not. You can't.
Oh really.....??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUnk...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,828,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
As I am sure you are aware, being a climatologist and all, increased snowfall and colder temperatures in unusual areas is, actually, a symptom of global warming.

I know you think that's a cop out, but the science predicted it long before you all started ranting everytime it snows, as if that's evidence for your political ideology.

God bless.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab264/Dragging_Canoe/2lu7ub8.gif (broken link)

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,793,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
hahaha - link up to an unbiased source. Not a political hit-job against Gore, kid. It's always indication when someone or a site focuses on Gore how out of touch they really are with the issue, since he merely made a slideshow about it.

Just one example - NOBODY with an education thinks CO2 is a pollutant. Trees need CO2 to survive, if you didn't know. It is the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere that is a concern.

Seriously. You got nothing.

But, to be clear, I never said I thought global warming is entirely manmade. There's no doubt it's warming - just a matter of what's causing it.

where are your facts and data....you always come back at people with your opinion....CO2 is not that big of a factor compared to other factors as stated in one of the sections of my link.....did you even read it or what?....there is even refferences on where those studies came from not just opinions like you are giving...the source i gave you had many different references you can look at after you read all of the information in each section...can you debunk all 20 of those topics in the link i gave?...i thought not?...so just keep having a one sided opinion on things while i learn and speak the truth....i was a person who actually voted for Obama but after looking at the facts i am against his decisions now..and i regret my vote

Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,637,195 times
There are so many horrible effects of man made global warming that we will be feeling serious effects, many of them already quiet evident. Because of man made global warming, we are seeing the following disastrous consequences:
Excessive heat
Excessive cold
Droughts
Floods
Warm winters
Cold winters
Early springs
Late springs
Hot summers
Cold summers
Autumns with great foliage colors
Autumns lacking foliage colors
Lack of snow
Abundance of snow
Heavy rain
Light rain

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,908,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Dear moonshadow,
yes, it's pretty easy for people to laugh it off.
When the air quality was deteriorating in LA in the 1970's (used to listen to air alerts back then)
I thought back then that man is earth's worst enemy, and man is man's worst enemy too.
It's too bad that some people don't take things a bit more seriously.
You know I even understand it to a certain extent.

I've just come from the driest continent on the planet, from an area that's been in the grips of a drought for the better part of a decade, where water is a precious commodity and I get here and there's water everywhere. For the past decade and longer I've been absolutely frugal with water and have become well versed in the art of the mandatory 4 minute shower due to heavy water restrictions. It's very hard some days here not to linger longer in the shower simply because I know that water is more plentiful here BUT mostly I don't because what's the point of wasting water, just for the sake of it?

I can understand that if you're shovelling 8" of snow off your driveway and spending the better part of 30 minutes finding your car under a snow pile each morning that the thought of global warming and climate change is so far removed from your reality that perhaps it is funny to some but long before Al Gore made a name for himself as the "New Messiah of The Environment" and long before Governments and Big Business worked out there was money to be made from all this, and long before scientists started bickering back and forth like children, I have been watching the world around me, the beauty of the environment I come from and seeing it deteriorate. The Great Barrier Reef is dying. WHY? Because there's been a rise in the temperature of the ocean. Whole islands in the Pacific are facing the very real possibility that they'll be underwater soon enough and why is that? Because the ice caps are melting.

Now I'm not an alarmist, I'm not a placard waver, I mostly cannot be bothered with all the hoopla that goes along with this subject and I sure as **** have no desire to get into a pissing match about whether or not the whole thing is man's fault or not but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that my very existence on this planet will cause adverse effects somewhere else, for someone else. So whilst I'm not prepared to spend my whole life eating mung beans, weaving my own clothes and walking everywhere I go, I do know that there's no need for me to be deliberately wasteful for any reason. BUT more than anything I don't want to wake up one morning and discover that some poor bastard on a Pacific Island somewhere is now sitting in a boat off the coast of Australia being pelted with tomatoes for "Jumping The Queue" simply because his island is no more on account I couldn't give up plastic shopping bags, driving my car to the milk bar or getting my cawfee in a non disposable cup.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,516 times
Someday, maybe we'll all run out of fresh drinking water.

Ground-water depletion, USGS water science

Old 12-21-2009, 07:11 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,039,532 times
Default It's not science, it's computer modeling

http://alaskacabin.net/verticb.pdf

Some good points in this article. One that I've had from the beginning is that the computer models are only as good as the data input.

When we can't trust or even know the data...how can we trust the model.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
So was the increased snow and ice back in the 70s when they told us we were heading for an Ice Age, was that a part of GW too?
Please refrain from slapping your forehead and have a mature discussion.

The global cooling that happened in the 70s was, according to scientists, due to the maximazation of large grey particulate matter in the atmosphere (back before environmental controls and technological advancements) reflecting the sunlight back into space before it could reach the earth. Thus, global cooling then.

What we have now is a very different animal - not so much particulate matter (if you were alive back then you know what cities were like) but gaseous matter, so rather than reflecting the sunlight it traps it.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:13 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,500,007 times
Alert the Goreacle! Dave Matthews has the solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zoXTXgyhMg

(Side note - I am a drummer and love this band's music, but not the unbathed liberal filth that I invariable encounter at their concerts).

Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
where are your facts and data....you always come back at people with your opinion....CO2 is not that big of a factor compared to other factors as stated in one of the sections of my link.....did you even read it or what?....there is even refferences on where those studies came from not just opinions like you are giving...the source i gave you had many different references you can look at after you read all of the information in each section...can you debunk all 20 of those topics in the link i gave?...i thought not?...so just keep having a one sided opinion on things while i learn and speak the truth....i was a person who actually voted for Obama but after looking at the facts i am against his decisions now..and i regret my vote
I, actually, don't respond with opinion. I always speak on this subject with the backing of science. It's just that when you present an entirely one-sided website and ask me to respond to it, I can't take it seriously.

I do the same for the lefties - all these environmental websites that tout global warming. Worthless to me. They have an agenda - same as your site.

It's important to seek out the truth in the middle. If you'd like to go there, we can. But, as for now, I'm going to need less biased sources to discuss.

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies