Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Watching TV the CBO now says the deficit will go up.They revised their own numbers.
Not to open that old can of worms, but was it Fox "News"?

I've searched online, and I think this is what they were talking about.

Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Correction Regarding the Longer-Term Effects of the Manager’s Amendment to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
CBO has discovered an error in the cost estimate released yesterday related to the longer-term budgetary effects of the manager’s amendment to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Correcting that error has no impact on the estimated effects of the legislation during the 2010–2019 period. However, the correction reduces the degree to which the legislation would lower federal deficits in the decade after 2019.
And
All told, CBO expects that the legislation, if enacted, would reduce federal budget deficits over the decade after 2019 relative to those projected under current law—with a total effect during that decade that is in a broad range between one-quarter percent and one-half percent of GDP. In comparison, the extrapolations in the initial estimate implied a reduction in deficits in the 2020–2029 period that would be in a broad range around one-half percent of GDP. The imprecision of these calculations reflects the even greater degree of uncertainty that attends to them, compared with CBO’s 10-year budget estimates. The expected reduction in deficits would represent a small share of the total deficits that would be likely to arise in that decade under current policies.
If, in fact, this is what they were talking about on TV this morning, [1] there's no change in the CBO forecast through 2019, and [2] from 2020 on, the health care legislation would not reduce the federal deficit as much as previously projected ... meaning it would still reduce the federal deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
He WILL sign it because it's much more important to save all the dying children in the streets than it is to not add to the deficit.
More kids are dying from getting bit by the family dog than lack of insurance. Get real.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You know in all my days I have never seen children dying in the street. I spend most of my time in NYC you would think with 8 million people living here I would see it at least once. All I hear is children are dying in the streets, never seen it. Anyone else?
Haven't you ever had to get medical attention but didn't because you knew your insurance would only cover part of the costs? You knew they'd find a way to deny you, because they almost always find a way to deny you?

You all rant and rave to protect the status quo, not realizing the damage this current health care system has already done to many of us.

Let's think of others for once. Please.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
This is what I see happening:
-taxes start next year
-people with insurance get their premiums raised
-medical services/drugs/treatments all get prices raised
-people without insurance are still without insurance for a few years

Now..2012 comes along and bam..Obama is NOT reelected.
-Healthcare subsidy bill gets repealed

Government has collected their taxes
Big pharma and other healthcare corporations get their revenue
People with insurance are now paying higher prices because they NEVER lower prices
People without insurance ARE STILL WITHOUT INSURANCE

Does anyone else see this picture as well ?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Not to open that old can of worms, but was it Fox "News"?

I've searched online, and I think this is what they were talking about.

Director’s Blog » Blog Archive » Correction Regarding the Longer-Term Effects of the Manager’s Amendment to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
CBO has discovered an error in the cost estimate released yesterday related to the longer-term budgetary effects of the manager’s amendment to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Correcting that error has no impact on the estimated effects of the legislation during the 2010–2019 period. However, the correction reduces the degree to which the legislation would lower federal deficits in the decade after 2019.
And
All told, CBO expects that the legislation, if enacted, would reduce federal budget deficits over the decade after 2019 relative to those projected under current law—with a total effect during that decade that is in a broad range between one-quarter percent and one-half percent of GDP. In comparison, the extrapolations in the initial estimate implied a reduction in deficits in the 2020–2029 period that would be in a broad range around one-half percent of GDP. The imprecision of these calculations reflects the even greater degree of uncertainty that attends to them, compared with CBO’s 10-year budget estimates. The expected reduction in deficits would represent a small share of the total deficits that would be likely to arise in that decade under current policies.
If, in fact, this is what they were talking about on TV this morning, [1] there's no change in the CBO forecast through 2019, and [2] from 2020 on, the health care legislation would not reduce the federal deficit as much as previously projected ... meaning it would still reduce the federal deficit.
Can someone confirm if this is true - if this is what the OP was referring to?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,224 times
I think this is what the OP was referring to:

http://sessions.senate.gov/public/in...2-994c27a457c4

Old 12-23-2009, 12:47 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
-taxes start next year

People with insurance are now paying higher prices because they NEVER lower prices

So vote Democrat in 2012 and that won't happen .

Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Its a figure of speech... it doesn't literally mean they are dying in the streets... it means they are dying from lack of insurance which does happen albeit cobolt is exaggerating a bit in that there are that many dying... however, I agree that even one child dying from lack of insurance is too much... especially in America, regardless of the bad parents some of them have... we can't choose our parents...
Show me some stories of these children dying becasue they did not have inusurance

Old 12-23-2009, 03:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
I think this is what the OP was referring to:

http://sessions.senate.gov/public/in...2-994c27a457c4
Quote:
The key point is that the savings to the HI trust fund under the PPACA would be received by the government only once, so they cannot be set aside to pay for future Medicare spending and, at the same time, pay for current spending on other parts of the legislation or on other programs. Trust fund accounting shows the magnitude of the savings within the trust fund, and those savings indeed improve the solvency of that fund; however, that accounting ignores the burden that would be faced by the rest of the government later in redeeming the bonds held by the trust fund. Unified budget accounting shows that the majority of the HI trust fund savings would be used to pay for other spending under the PPACA and would not enhance the ability of the government to redeem the bonds credited to the trust fund to pay for future Medicare benefits. To describe the full amount of HI trust fund savings as both improving the government’s ability to pay future Medicare benefits and financing new spending outside of Medicare would essentially double-count a large share of those savings and thus overstate the improvement in the government’s fiscal position.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
-taxes start next year

I don't think this bill can be repealed. Nor do I think it will. Isn't it written in such a way that it can't be undone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies